Abdi

30 minutes ago, scram said:

Then i misread your post - in which case my apologies

I wouldn't say he is awful left - maybe in our system but how many of our players would you say could hold down a regular place in the premier league - in a team of internationals that finished very respectably too?

But he played left in a 3 - and thats the key - he thrives in a 3 man midfield - not wide of a 4 nor central in a 2

Agreed, he thrived when they used to play 4-3-3 as the AMF.

That's why it seems a very strange one, seeing as I don't think Carlos has ever had intentions to play 4-3-3 since the failed experiment early last year? We may well see Abdi as a no10 in tougher away games though, and he should be ideal for that.  But surely we can't have paid all that money just for those tougher matches.

2 hours ago, scram said:

I think your being daft tbh

We know him playing threatens your beloved formation

But this is a guy who has playing ina  significantly better team than ours - and starred in it - he has been in that team as a pivotal player that cruised to promotion - not 6th in a weak division

He has just played 32 premier league games - he's not a f*cking mug

He is PROVEN quality but if we insist on playing a system that he can't thrive in then i agree it's a monumental waste of an extremely good player

But if it upsets the balance of what CC wants then fine - cut our losses and move him on

Spot on, CC is starting to worry me by this.

He's being played out of position and he looks traumatised from being played out wide in the premier league on a hiding to nothing. It looks to have drained him.

Looks a completely different player to the guy making incisive and killer passes for Watford 

Edited by Bluesteel

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

i wouldnt say he 's been awful here he just hasnt done anything he's neat and tidy doesnt give it away doesnt create anything .....he may well be played out of his favoured position but you'd think a good player like him could do a little more .

A bit harsh, I felt he integrated nicely first half.

To accommodate Abdi CC has to make a decision about the middle of the park because even Stevie Wonder can tell that he's wasted out wide.

Bannan and Lee have been our best two players this season (arguably) and neither deserve to be dropped for Abdi but for all the possession we have and the neat interchanges, the ball needs to be moved forward quicker, we need to be more decisive and direct, make the possession count and be more positive.

For me the solution is easy, both Hunt and Palmer have been inconsistent when given the chance, so firstly move Lee to RB, after all we signed him for that position originally and albeit for Oldham he was their player of the year on numerous occasions. He has a great engine, can pick a pass and defensively he's sound.

Play a diamond or a conventional 4-4-2 of Bannan, Reach, Buckley/Wallace and Abdi and then we will see the best of a player that we paid £4 million for and who left Watford because he was played out of position.

CC has to make the decision .

What I really don't understand is when we signed him he openly said he had been played out of position last season and he had a word with the manager and he had assurances about playing in his best position.....surely if this is true then the player has been lied too and it's doubtable he will ever come back from this