On this day in 1962 - Santos at Hillsborough

22nd October 1962

Everyone has seen the iconic photo of Pele in front of the Kop in 1972 but there doesn't seem to be many of the previous visit in 1962.

I have found this one of David Layne scoring - love to find some more!

Santos%201962_zpsl2pcuslb.jpg

Anyway  match report attached what an amazing night that must have been!

santos%20copy_zpsn62ml45g.jpg

santos1_zpsmtva3ozb.jpg

Santos_zpsu5wqerlw.jpg

santos%202_zps3vmcha7j.jpg

I also came across this photo which claims this is Pele arriving at Hillsborough but I'm not sure - anyone else identify ?

Pele_zpsxqkstqmq.jpg

Ah the memories-  I was there and can remember it as if it was yesterday :huh: .

The Layne goal in the picture is still the best headed goal I`ve seen at Hillsboro, he was ouitside the area and considering the type of ball in those days he must have had a headache :tongue: .

Also to see my favourite player Billy Griffin :wub: is a thrill on these august pages. Can remember a couple of seasons ago he did the 1/2 time draw and when he was announced there were a few claps around me while I was applauding and cheering like a lunatic :unsure: . I felt quite deflated after he had gone in and I had to explain my "fervour" to all and sundry who had never heard of him :ohmy: .

Look up his game stats they are impressive.

Memories? how many do you want :rolleyes: .

There was a real argument at home , my dad  had swapped a shift from afters to mornings so he could take me and our Fraser who was only 10 and I was 16 in the november.  Went something like- Mum-" its a school day and ar Andrew has to take some exams before xmas yer not takin im"- Dad- " dont bi daft, its best football were ever likely ter see for years- there both gooin and thats it"

Mum- " well yer can pack yerself up an get em both ter bed ahm not stayin up fer damn football". --Dad- "Suit thisen" :biggrin: .

You can tell by the photo of Billy he was only slightly built and I feel that was both his strength and his ultimate weakness as he became a marked man and suffered some hefty tackles which curtailed his appearances. Not "Jeffers-esque " but in those days a defender would adhere to the old adage - "Can`t run wi`art legs".  AKA  Chopper Curtis , Kay , Don Megson could dish it out as well :tongue:

,When I think that Wednesday could even attract a team like Santos (the Barca,Real,Dortmund of their time) says so much for the business acumen of Eric Taylor, and the respect with which Wednesday were held across the footballing world at that time. The fact that this was also a MONDAY night match with a 7.15 k.o. but still attracted a publicised crowd  of 49,058,and against the World Club Champions says a lot for the stature of the once great club. And yes, as Max Boyce always said in his act, 'I WAS THERE' to see my favourites such as Springett, Swanny, 'Bronco' Layne (subbed later for Gerry Young) and Billy Griffin,alongside the rest,whilst never looking to beat such a side, to give them a damned good run for heir money. PROUD PROUD DAY.

,When I think that Wednesday could even attract a team like Santos (the Barca,Real,Dortmund of their time) says so much for the business acumen of Eric Taylor, and the respect with which Wednesday were held across the footballing world at that time. The fact that this was also a MONDAY night match with a 7.15 k.o. but still attracted a publicised crowd  of 49,058,and against the World Club Champions says a lot for the stature of the once great club. And yes, as Max Boyce always said in his act, 'I WAS THERE' to see my favourites such as Springett, Swanny, 'Bronco' Layne (subbed later for Gerry Young) and Billy Griffin,alongside the rest,whilst never looking to beat such a side, to give them a damned good run for heir money. PROUD PROUD DAY.

and I was reading the other day it was entirely  Eric Taylor's doing.  He saw Santos were in Europe and invited them to Hillsborough. :-)

Is that the highest attendance for a friendly at Hillsborough?

Easily - 49, 058 to be exact. Most of the other massive attendances were FACup matches or Division 1 games with the exception of 26-1-1979!

There was 47,000 + for the War Time Cup Final vs Blackpool

lol cant work it out, did they actually play 2-3-5 back then?

Pretty much......though often one of the inside forwards played behind a front two (sometimes called a "schemer").....in effect 2-3-1-4 I suppose....like all formations it was somewhat fluid with halfbacks being either defensive minded or moving up with the forwards. You never saw two centre halves though, but with Swanny, you wouldn't have to!

Edited by lesbarbeux

wasnt it called the WM  formation .....i remember it as the full backs & centre half stayed back and youd have 1 wing half mccanearney ás a play maker and the other kay being more defensive .....always 2 wingers and a big centre forward with the inside forwards moving up from from mid field to support him.

I went with my Dad...had the same argument with Mum about school but the fact that my Dad a blade was willing to take me swung it...Can't remember that much about the game apart from Bronco's header and Pelé sending Springett and half the Kop the wrong was as he did a samba up to the ball...it really was a magical time to see Roma, Barca , Lyons etc at Hillsborough and yes it was Eric Taylor whose vision was to see Wednesday as a big club in Europe

Easily - 49, 058 to be exact. Most of the other massive attendances were FACup matches or Division 1 games with the exception of The Boxing Day Massacre!

There was 47,000 + for the War Time Cup Final vs Blackpool

Fixed it for you.  Not sure who we played on 26 January 1979...