On this day in 1962 - Santos at Hillsborough

Hi Tarquin.

Remember the game through the foggy mists of time I was standing next to you schoolkids at the time we were.

Most on here will know I`m an old f**t but not many will know I look like George Clooney !  Only you can keep my secret :tongue:

I went with my Dad...had the same argument with Mum about school but the fact that my Dad a blade was willing to take me swung it...Can't remember that much about the game apart from Bronco's header and Pelé sending Springett and half the Kop the wrong was as he did a samba up to the ball...it really was a magical time to see Roma, Barca , Lyons etc at Hillsborough and yes it was Eric Taylor whose vision was to see Wednesday as a big club in Europe

Horrible to think that this will more than likely not happen again :(

it was in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis, so that was at the back of my mind. Stood on South Stand Terrace. It was the first time we'd witnessed sublime Brazilian skill, which made our typical workmanlike old English football look rather old fashioned, as Santos stroked it around using all their tricks, switching from walking pace to lighting quick in an instant. When we put the pressure on and got the goals the crowd was in a frenzy pushing for the win. My dad knew better and said just watch them move up a gear, and they did. They were toying with us. Next day my school played the University away and I was trying to play the Santos way. One of their guys asked with a smile if i'd been at the game last night!

Horrible to think that this will more than likely not happen again :(

Come on Moz- if we all thought that the ground would be a housing estate by now . I reckon we are a whisker away from having those days back again with the present set up.

We came close in the Francis era, if we had won at Wembley against  the Ar*e I am sure we would have kicked on again. 

But then again thinking about it, a club is only as good as its leadership in the boardroom and we have had some bad luck there.

Its true that we had Eric Taylor  who was a business man first and a football man second. As far as I`m concerned it was always ground first and team second with Eric. He dropped lucky with a manager like Catterick .

Dave Richards was the next chairman to have a chance of taking us to the next level-----------What a waste :sad: . back to square one for us -- FA for Dave :blush: .

Now we seem to have a chairman/ owner who lets football people  manage and is prepared to involve with the "cretins" :rolleyes: and promote a much better feeling within the whole club. If we win on Tues I can see the afterburners being lit for the Prem , belief will course through the club like a sunami.

Confirmed "happy clapper"

Come on Moz- if we all thought that the ground would be a housing estate by now . I reckon we are a whisker away from having those days back again with the present set up.

We came close in the Francis era, if we had won at Wembley against  the Ar*e I am sure we would have kicked on again. 

But then again thinking about it, a club is only as good as its leadership in the boardroom and we have had some bad luck there.

Its true that we had Eric Taylor  who was a business man first and a football man second. As far as I`m concerned it was always ground first and team second with Eric. He dropped lucky with a manager like Catterick .

Dave Richards was the next chairman to have a chance of taking us to the next level-----------What a waste :sad: . back to square one for us -- FA for Dave :blush: .

Now we seem to have a chairman/ owner who lets football people  manage and is prepared to involve with the "cretins" :rolleyes: and promote a much better feeling within the whole club. If we win on Tues I can see the afterburners being lit for the Prem , belief will course through the club like a sunami.

Confirmed "happy clapper"

Hey I'm optimistic for the future and I think we'll be in the Prem before long. But the likes of us mixing it with Arsenal/City/man utd/chelsea is slim to none, never mind mixing it with the likes of Real/Barca/Bayern/Juve.

I hope to god DC is thinking that's where he wants this club to be because if he wants if enough then it may happen but first things first lets do rotherham and start pushing up this table and forcing ourselves in amongst the Derby's/Hull's and Middlesbrough's first.  

The Santos game took place in the middle of the Bay of Pigs Cuban missile crisis (USA v Russia), which lasted for several days, and appeared likely to result in nuclear war. That concentrated the mind I can tell you, and this game helped to take our minds off it for a couple of hours. Very fortunately, the World was pulled back from the brink btw. 

• Like 1