Stevie May

He looks like he's well down the pecking order. He came on today but not in his preferred position. He needs to find a way to force his way into the team otherwise he could find his chances very limited.It looks like Nuhiu and Joao are in front of him up front and Mattias, Wallace and Lavery in front of him for the wide forward place.

I'm not his greatest fan, however, I don't think many could argue with my summary there.

He looks like he's well down the pecking order. He came on today but not in his preferred position. He needs to find a way to force his way into the team otherwise he could find his chances very limited.It looks like Nuhiu and Joao are in front of him up front and Mattias, Wallace and Lavery in front of him for the wide forward place.

I'm not his greatest fan, however, I don't think many could argue with my summary there.

I think it's a shame, but I think he needs to leave for the good of his career sooner rather than later. Plus would give us some extra money to spend or save.

No point him being here, would rather he leave and we bring in another wide man- then we'd just about have the balance right

I think it's a shame, but I think he needs to leave for the good of his career sooner rather than later. Plus would give us some extra money to spend or save.

No point him being here, would rather he leave and we bring in another wide man- then we'd just about have the balance right

What about a loan?

Don't see why not, but he'd need to turn things around in a pretty special way to get anywhere near the squad next year too

Why? Started less games, played less minutes and scored only 1 less goal than Nuhiu. His minutes per goal ratio is better than Nuhiu's at championship level.

Also played many times out of position. Nuhiu was down the middle every time he was on the pitch.

Why? Started less games, played less minutes and scored only 1 less goal than Nuhiu. His minutes per goal ratio is better than Nuhiu's at championship level.

Also played many times out of position. Nuhiu was down the middle every time he was on the pitch.

All true, but will he fit into our system?

Assuming we play one up front the majority of the time, he'll either be playing out wide (out of position) or down the middle... has he got the pace or power to occupy the back 4 as a "1" up front? The answer to that is almost certainly no.

I genuinely don't want to see him go because he can and will develop, but he's a square peg in a round hole based on how we want to play. Nuhiu, Joao and even Bus are ahead of him for that central striker role due to their strength.

All true, but will he fit into our system?

Assuming we play one up front the majority of the time, he'll either be playing out wide (out of position) or down the middle... has he got the pace or power to occupy the back 4 as a "1" up front? The answer to that is almost certainly no.

I genuinely don't want to see him go because he can and will develop, but he's a square peg in a round hole based on how we want to play. Nuhiu, Joao and even Bus are ahead of him for that central striker role due to their strength.

I'm not saying he'll fit the system. Can't see him playing much at all. But I also don't think Nuhiu's mobile enough to play that central role. Sometimes you need an outlet. Someone to run the channels and create so thing out of nothing. Nuhiu can't do that.

I just don't get this idea that May struggled last season and Nuhiu was so much better. It's nonsense.

OH, yes.

Lets sell him to Scots.

Lets send him on loan.

Lets get him out.

Has anyone stopped to think what might happen if lightning strikes the Town Hall roof and cracks open the Vulcan statue casing hey ?

The tomb (and  jail) this last 80 years to the Garzintian Warlord Vordrack .

11825165_10154005187241111_4001203619604

Who will save us then and he runs amok from his imprisonment and Stevie isn't here to catch him?

Very short sighted.

Oh yes, It's all fun games and pretending to be managers  until someone loses an eye.

Let's try and put Stevie's season into a bit of perspective.

As an example here is Hirsty's record with us:

86/87 - 26 appearances in total 6 goals

87/88 - 26 appearances in total 4 goals

88/89 - 35 appearances in total 9 goals

89/90 - 43 appearances in total 16 goals

90/91 - 53 appearances in total 28 goals

91/92 - 37 appearances in total 20 goals

92/93 - 33 appearances in total 16 goals

93/94 - 10 appearances in total 2 goals

94/95 - 17 appearances in total 3 goals

Information from Sheffield Wednesday archive which stops here.

Hirsty was an untried eighteen year old when he signed for us. May was about three years older, had scored a stack ofgoals in the pub league and been involved in international football and played in the Europa League. You would expect him to score far more than an inexperienced kid, but thus far he hasn't. Hirsty also made important contributions to games, whether he scored or not. The same can't be said of May.

Hirsty was an untried eighteen year old when he signed for us. May was about three years older, had scored a stack ofgoals in the pub league and been involved in international football and played in the Europa League. You would expect him to score far more than an inexperienced kid, but thus far he hasn't. Hirsty also made important contributions to games, whether he scored or not. The same can't be said of May.

Loada biased rubbish.

Think we will see a better Stevie May than last season, that's a given.

He's had time now to adapt to the ins and outs of Championship football.  

Definitely a proper goalscorer in the locker, just needs to stick it in the onion bag more often. 

With the likes of Wallace, Matias and McGugan behind him, and sure the goals will start flowing in.  This includes Dave, Lavery< Boosh and John. 

I'm seeing a trend with Wolfman's posts... They're all negative!!!

Do we get at least one positive every full moon?

Come on Wolfie I'm just trying to say that even Hirsty got off to a slow start and didn't really come into his own until we dropped a league. Also I remember hearing loads of people at the time slag him off as overrated, load of rubbish etc etc.

Not trying to say Stevie May is the new Hirsty because clearly he isn't but at this level I still think he could do a job for us given more experience.

Incidentally Hirsty only ever once managed 20 League goals in a season with us and that was in Division 2 (Championship these days).

Edited by Utah Owl

Come on Wolfie I'm just trying to say that even Hirsty got off to a slow start and didn't really come into his own until we dropped a league. Also I remember hearing loads of people at the time slag him off as overrated, load of rubbish etc etc.

Not trying to say Stevie May is the new Hirsty because clearly he isn't but at this level I still think he could do a job for us given more experience.

Incidentally Hirsty only ever once managed 20 League goals in a season with us and that was in Division 2 (Championship these days).

90/91...28goals

91/92...20 goals

Can't help yourself can you?!

(a) dragging Nuhiu into it.

(b) rewriting history again by pretending cup goals don't count, despite more coming at a higher level not lower.

The point is that Stevie appears to be drifting further away from the team with Lavery, Bus, Joao, Wallace & Matic now in front of him. Nuhiu has always been in front of him. So nothing has changed there. No need to bring the big man into it really.

You refer to his goal scoring record as if that should put him closer to the team, but as that's the only contribution he makes, it needs to be better than 1 goal every 352 minutes (or more if you don't remove cup games to help him out).

Guest LEGEND

Why don't we lay off his back and give him a chance?

Still young and clearly on evidence yesterday, trying to earn a place and impress.

Give him a break.

Why don't we lay off his back and give him a chance?

Still young and clearly on evidence yesterday, trying to earn a place and impress.

Give him a break.

Isn't the point that Carlos is being mean to him by constantly bringing better players in. Naughty Carlos!

p.s. considering your username, is the picture supposed to be ironic?