Wages over transfer fees

Right, it's been brought up several times in threads before but I feel it's still under discussed.

Some of you will be aware of 'moneyballing' in baseball or the Football equivalent as discussed in 'Soccernomics' but the basic premise is that you are much more likely to succeed if you spend less on transfer fees and more on wages.

We can already argue that free transfers are the best way to operate, no doubt we'd be in the play-offs if we continued signing free transfers on a good wage like Westwood (and the minimal fee for Lees) last June shortly after the initial takeover.

As stated in Soccernomics the 12 golden rules of the transfer market are:

1. A new manager wastes money on transfers: don't let him
2. Use the wisdom of crowds (take opinions on players from a number of coaches)
3. Stars of recent World Cups or European Championships are overvalued: ignore them
4. Certain nationalities are overvalued (Brazilians and Dutch, for example)
5. Older players are overvalued
6. Centre-forwards are overvalued; goalkeepers are undervalued
7. Gentlemen prefer blondes; identify and abandon 'sight-based prejudices' (blonde players are, sub-consciously, disproportionately popular with scouts because they stand out from a distance)
8. The best time to buy a player is when he is in his early twenties
9. Sell any player when another club offers more than he is worth
10. Replace your best players even before you sell them
11. Buy players with personal problems, and then help them deal with their problems
12. Help your players relocate

It's enough to consider but personally I agree with most of these points. Working under a director of football Gray seems like the best manager to work under these rules, he's pretty good man manager, can deal with problem players well.

I really want to cheapen this with a Football Manager comment but do you feel we can get a promotion winning side from free transfers as long as the wages are there to help us achieve it.

14) don't buy a crock and expect him to be injury free

15) A good loan player will turn poo poo as soon as he's sign permanently

I think these two should be gilded in crest above the managers office to remind him every day.

So many time in the past....

Interesting suggestions there. A few thoughts...

• "Older players are overvalued"... up to a point, and then we tend to undervalue them. It's very hard to put a price on the kind of experience and know-how some of these older pros bring to the table. They're also more likely to welcome, rather than resent, a place on the bench as they approach the end of their careers. We've benefitted from the likes of Prutton, Howard and Watson in recent years.

• "Identify and abandon 'sight-based prejudices" - this is a fascinating idea and I wonder how true it really is. Imagine a scout reporting back after a game: "That left back had decent pace, plus he was a bit of a looker - ooh, he had lovely hair...sign him, sign him, sign him!"  :biggrin: 

• "The best time to buy a player is when he is in his early twenties" - thankfully, we seem to have already adopted this mantra in the past year or two - the likes of Melo, Bus, Lees, May, Nuhiu, Hutchinson, Vermijl etc... will either develop into the players we'd hoped, or should at least have some resale value.

• "Buy players with personal problems, and then help them deal with their problems" - well, it worked with Madine! Seriously, though - Gray seems to have the knack of getting players with a bit of a 'reputation' to perform for him: Drenthe, Roger Johnson, even McGugan is known as a bit of a lazy so and so by fans of Forest and Watford, yet they all did well for us. If it allows us to bring in better quality, then I'd give it a go and trust in Gray to weigh up the risks and benefits of each individual.

Interesting suggestions there. A few thoughts...

• "Identify and abandon 'sight-based prejudices" - this is a fascinating idea and I wonder how true it really is. Imagine a scout reporting back after a game: "That left back had decent pace, plus he was a bit of a looker - ooh, he had lovely hair...sign him, sign him, sign him!"  :biggrin: 

When I used to work on the pig sty on the away end had so many fans telling me that ginger lad was the best player on the pitch, I swear Stephen Quinn has made a better living than his brothers by just being ginger

Guest mkowl

Its a good book though Soccereconomics - saying you can almost predict each league table based on the wages paid. Never an exact science as there are other variables but this is the main one

The problem for Wednesday is historically never having the money for either transfers or wages