wishlist of signings this summer

We all making guesses ,Who saw the signing of MELO or BUS ,The players some are talking om here Wickham for one £55,000 a week ,Rhodes £38,000 there is no chance what so ever of signing players like that .Expect foreign players cheaper options ,Look at what we have put an Advert out for international recruitment scout me thinks the new owner has got someone in mind .Sheffield Wednesday aim to be a global brand ,I think there will be a few lads from abroad brought in to the Academy .Exciting times some class players out there cheaper abroad than non league in England.

You're right, not many saw Melo or Bus coming, perhaps not even Gray himself. We would be stupid not to explore the foreign market, in terms of value for money, there are bargains to be had. Successful overseas recruiting normally involves taking a core of players from one particular country, rather than a League of Nations approach Perhaps at the very top, where you can cherry pick the best talents from every country, but it's generally easier to assimilate players when there's a few fellow countrymen about. Think Newcastle with their French contingent. This requires someone with comprehensive knowledge of the country you're looking to attract players from, rather than buying from an agents showreel.

Edited by gurujuan

Guest wilyfox

Think we can cross Knockaert off our wish list, he's having talks about a free transfer move to Liege

A move abroad was odds on the moment he rejected loan opportunities in the championship.

Remember back in '83 when Wilko came we made several signings that left the fans somewhat underwhelmed (Worthington, Hodge, Madden for starters) but what incredible signings they turned out to be for the club.

Don't care whether Gray signs big names or not as long as he gets the right people for the job.

Would much rather he signs a couple of up and coming young players who turn out to be the next Chris Waddle, John Sheridan and David Hirst than spunk a load of cash on some prima donna who turns out to be a bad buy.

It's not just about the players, it's about whether they are a good fit for the team and that is where it becomes such a lottery.

Edited by Utah Owl

What I think we need is:

One CB as back up for Loovens & Lees. Johnson, Maguire, Williamson or Batth as mentioned would all get my approval.

Possibly a left back, but not desperate. Dielna & Helan can do a job. Not a fan of Mattock.

2 more attacking minded central midfielders. One obviously being McGugan, then a younger player to provide back up and competion in on loan. Possibly someone like Dele Ali or Jonathon Williams from Palace. Another Palace midfielder I'd love here is Gourdioura.

2 wingers minimum. One I would like to have pace as I think we've been missing pace badly this season with the departures of JJ & Antonio. I'd look at Matt Phillips, McCleary from Reading or Adomah of Boro.

The other winger I'd like to be more like Marshall with goid delivery, he'd be a target for me. Noone has been mentioned, he'd be a good signing, Grealish if available on loan would be good if it was possible.

Lastly 2 forwards, as I've said I think we need more pace so one of the forards has to possess pace for me. My 1st choice would be Dwight Gayle if he was available on loan. Other options for pacey forwards are Vardy, Sordell or Grabban.

Then finally a partner for the man with pace & my targets would depend on the budget. 1st choice Joe Garner, that lad is going to get snapped up sooner or later. Get him in. Failing that as I don't think Wickham is at all realistic I wouldn't be against Keane coming for a full season or Patrick Bamford on loan, if we are looking at a smaller budget Matt Fryatt from Forest.

Remember back in '83 when Wilko came we made several signings that left the fans somewhat underwhelmed (Worthington, Hodge, Madden for starters) but what incredible signings they turned out to be for the club.

Don't care whether Gray signs big names or not as long as he gets the right people for the job.

Would much rather he signs a couple of up and coming young players who turn out to be the next Chris Waddle, John Sheridan and David Hirst than spunk a load of cash on some prima donna who turns out to be a bad buy.

It's not just about the players, it's about whether they are a good fit for the team and that is where it becomes such a lottery.

Yes, although the standard, at this level, is much higher nowadays. For Sheridan and Hirst, you'd now expect to pay £1 or £2 million, and for an equivalent Waddle type, I don't know. Is there an ex England international with that level of skill who'd be prepared to step down to the Championship. It's not easy to find that calibre of player, although if we can nab McGugan, the deal would have many similarities to when we got Sheridan. A talented midfielder, not appreciated by a championship rival, come to us and blossoms. Anyone know how much we'd have to pay for McGugan, I've not seen a fee mentioned?

Well said Utah.

Yes, although the standard, at this level, is much higher nowadays. For Sheridan and Hirst, you'd now expect to pay £1 or £2 million, and for an equivalent Waddle type, I don't know. Is there an ex England international with that level of skill who'd be prepared to step down to the Championship. It's not easy to find that calibre of player, although if we can nab McGugan, the deal would have many similarities to when we got Sheridan. A talented midfielder, not appreciated by a championship rival, come to us and blossoms. Anyone know how much we'd have to pay for McGugan, I've not seen a fee mentioned?

First bit - not if their contract is up.

Second bit - people have speculated and come up with anything from 500k to 2M. Obviously want to pay as little as possible but wouldn't be upset paying 1-1.5M.

First bit - not if their contract is up.

Second bit - people have speculated and come up with anything from 500k to 2M. Obviously want to pay as little as possible but wouldn't be upset paying 1-1.5M.

We know that McGugan is a really good fit for our team so in my opinion that would be money really well spent.

Agreed

Me too.

I was thinking about what our visiting Watford fan said about Lewis. That he was upset about not being first choice or something similar and became a destabilising influence. Here there is no competition really (and I'm ok with that). We know he can do a job for us. Be the man Lewis.