Posh London Owls

I've heard the Hull fans and they are up there with the best swearers so their decision is a bit baffling.

That was the reason she gave me. Maybe they sit in a family area and don't hear it much. It's a shame when I see their photos on Facebook and the whole family are sat at the KC in gold and black, especially as when I used to meet up with them they'd all be in blue and white. I'm not sure, but I don't think the kids ever got to go to a single match at Hillsborough.

people who change teams tho

lol

Then blame it on swearing

lol

Maybe I wasn't describing it clearly enough. They wouldn't take the kids to Hillsborough because of the swearing, although they still went themselves. Only after they moved they all decided to switch to Hull because they could take the kids there without them hearing the same level of obscenities.

Next time I see them I'll ask more questions about it, but my guess is that if they'd stayed in Sheffield they'd probably have started taking the kids to Hillsborough once they were old enough that they weren't so impressionable. Once they moved to Hull the kids probably wanted to go to their first match and the parents found that they weren't hearing the same level of language there, so they felt it was a better environment for them. I imagine it would've had to have been a strong enough reason, as far as I know the mum had been a Wednesday fan for around 40 years.

Personally, the swearing doesn't bother me at all, but when I hear fans of other teams singing their most enthusiastic songs I can't think of many that have the f-word twice in every line like ours does, so I think some people might have a fair point about it.

Edited by punkskaphil

Thanks Realist - you brought the humour and fun back to this thread. I brought a Millwall fan with me (not posh but did have a rite Cockney accent). He thought our fans were magnificent and told his mates that night in the pub that he was 'an onnery' Wednesdayite ..... Which made me wonder if we had an initiation ceremony ;-)

Hendersons annointed to the fore head is an old one! A practice used at Wembley when annointing "an onnery" or two pre semi against the blunts. One Fulham and one Milwall, if memory serves. Born in Firth Park, now live in Richmond, business in Chiswick, not posh, not rich.

I don't care where you were born, or where you live

I don't care what sex you are, or whether you're straight, gay, or bi

I don't care what nationality you are, or your colour

I don't care what your religious beliefs are

I don't care if you go to every game, or go to none at all

If you say you're Wednesday, that's good enough for me

Amen hootie.

Just not southerners

Guest Grez Bez

Question.

What is the impact of exposing a child to bad language?

I sat (/stood) on the Kop with my dad since being a tiny baby. Went in the Gate, travellers or Hillsborough Club before games.

I heard all sorts of language but rarely swear now im an adult. My dad always taught me that swearing is bad but didn't pretend it didn't exist.