Why wont anyone buy us?

It is worth noting that we haven't been a modern football club for very long.

Remember when Mandaric arrived, Irvine was doing his own scouting as was Laws prior to that. Mandaric has made great strides in bringing this club into the 21st century.

So in many respects we haven't been a club worth buying for very long at all. Two or three years perhaps. Some of these other clubs were waiting for ages (e.g. Villa) and if Milan finds an owner by October next year he'll have done the job in under five years, which would be a relatively quick turnaround.

to be honest pal, I still think mamma might be hanging around still whilst just getting on sorting his finances first. Take the pressure off him over us whilst he sorts other issues out first...........or im still ever the optimist

That's not a good thing

It'd help if there was a decent airport within a reasonable commute of S6. Leeds = pants M1 & ring road. Manc. Woodhead & Mottram, enough said. East Mids pants M1 & tinpot. Luton's a good 2 hour run, if you're very lucky. Anybody further afield than Europe doesn't want to hiss about getting to our place. I suppose they could land a helicopter at Meadowhell, but avoid school holidays & 9am & 3pm in term time! Bag o shyte.

to be honest pal, I still think mamma might be hanging around still whilst just getting on sorting his finances first. Take the pressure off him over us whilst he sorts other issues out first...........or im still ever the optimist

This is my instinct on it too.

I've maintained this opinion throughout the summer and during the tail end of the original t/o bid failing.

It'd help if there was a decent airport within a reasonable commute of S6. Leeds = pants M1 & ring road. Manc. Woodhead & Mottram, enough said. East Mids pants M1 & tinpot. Luton's a good 2 hour run, if you're very lucky. Anybody further afield than Europe doesn't want to hiss about getting to our place. I suppose they could land a helicopter at Meadowhell, but avoid school holidays & 9am & 3pm in term time! Bag o shyte.

If they were really rich, they could build a helipad on top of the Kop.

It's not the ground, there's nothing wrong with the ground that a few million wouldn't fix.  MUCH cheaper than building a new one, and selling off Hillsborough for development. The ground costs £500k a year. That figure's from the club.

The figures for building a new ground just don't stack up.

There's plenty of room for commercial development within the current structure. Just go back to the plans for development that were drawn up for the World Cup bid, it was a fantastic design.

We have potential, as per the documentary that hilariously revealed the pigs for sale at the end, it said that everyone knew the best buy in the UK was Sheffield Wednesday but we weren't available at the time.

So the only thing that can be holding up the sale is the lack of sellers willing to commit to the purchase price and obligations of the deal on the table, and that have enough money to invest and drive the club forward.

We've been close a couple of times, and VERY close with Mamadov, that takeover was being discussed between all league club representatives at the Portugal meeting earlier this year as a very real and positive takeover, and that Mamadov was seen as a football man, and the right man. That's a fact from someone who was there...

So you never know that one may come back.

Eventually it will happen, someone will be willing to give MM\PA etc. what they want for the club, and we'll move on. Just hope it's the right person or group.

That was hilarious - I really enjoyed that  :biggrin:

I don't think we have any more potential than any other club in this league, less if anything. Ok we average a few thousand more than most other teams but I'd say that's one of the last thing investors look at nowadays, gate receipts are probably our largest source of income but for a prem team I'd guess they're a drop in the ocean compared with TV money and sponsorship.

I'd say investors will look less at the fanbase and more at how much it will cost them to get us a.) to the prem and b.) keep us there. Also don't kid yourself into thinking investors will walk into hillsborough and be in awe, they'll look at it and think 'poo poo we need to build a new stadium too'

I totally understand why we don't get investment, it's because we are commercially light years behind teams like Derby, Leicester and co. We're like that scruffy old dog in the animal shelter people look at but don't touch.

Why would they think they need to build a new stadium too? We have a 40k stadium which we never fill apart from the very rare occasion, there is absolutely no need to build one in the short term.

It'd help if there was a decent airport within a reasonable commute of S6. Leeds = pants M1 & ring road. Manc. Woodhead & Mottram, enough said. East Mids pants M1 & tinpot. Luton's a good 2 hour run, if you're very lucky. Anybody further afield than Europe doesn't want to hiss about getting to our place. I suppose they could land a helicopter at Meadowhell, but avoid school holidays & 9am & 3pm in term time! Bag o shyte.

That's not a good thing

I don't see why not? He potentially has money, he wanted to buy Wednesday, MM thought he was the right person to take the club forward, he is supposedly a very passionate football fan and isn't a "hot head" like Leeds now has at the helm.

Why would they think they need to build a new stadium too? We have a 40k stadium which we never fill apart from the very rare occasion, there is absolutely no need to build one in the short term.

Because it is now a bit rubbish, and I would imagine costs a lot of money to maintain?

I don't see why not? He potentially has money, he wanted to buy Wednesday, MM thought he was the right person to take the club forward, he is supposedly a very passionate football fan and isn't a "hot head" like Leeds now has at the helm.

Maybe, he's hardly filled us with confidence though has he

Because it is now a bit rubbish, and I would imagine costs a lot of money to maintain?

Yep

mammadov will not become the owner of sheffield wednesday. i think milan's right that he's a "football man" but it seems how he made/makes/maintains his earnings is a bit underhand and i honestly dont see milan sitting down with him again, and for that i'm grateful, it's too much of a risk cos if he gets sent down we would be well and truly in the bottom.

responding to the op, we're still a bit too much of a risk for the size of investment that is necessary. in 1 or 2 seasons when our books are displaying better turnover (hopefully this new commercial bloke can do something) and we are sniffing round the play offs, then we can become an attractive investment for someone. and we're not gonna land a billionaire cos we're not in the prem and if you want to buy a premier league club there's always one or two up for sale.

As most know I work all over the place, so to that end I will say it as I see it.

Manchester is going crazy with new builds; the city centre is full of top end shops.

Leeds have spent fortunes on their city centre, and are catching up to Manchester.

Sheffield is falling way behind the other big cities in this 40 mile radius.

Sheffield and Manchester both have massive out of town shopping centres, Meadowhall and Trafford Park, Leeds have a smaller version in the White Rose centre.

Sheffield  City Council do not seem interested in dragging the city into the 21st century, so why would any investor think about pumping millions of ££££ into Wednesday or the pigs for that matter?

The reason for pointing these comments out is, there are better posher city centres than Sheffield unfortunately.

Big investors want to show off what the area has to offer, and in turn bring in big sponsors ........ And what has Sheffield and the area around it got to offer?

Shut down steel works, shut down pits, unemployment, etc.

It is my guess Milan got us out of the deep Shiiiiiitttttt we were in based on how cheap he could get us, and how big we USED TO BE! Thinking he could make a killing ???????

What I’m Saying is the city of Sheffield needs a massive amount of investment, instead of living in the dark ages, and then the biggest club in the city (WEDNESDAY) might get the correct amount of investment?

Big investors would look at new build opportunties at any club;

1. Cheaper ongoing maintenance costs says who, provide figures please

2. Commercial opps by combining new build with residential units i.e. large sales potential (they offload risk by partnering with developers etc.). so you think people are gonna want to live in part of a football ground complex?

3. Purpose built commercial premises etc. to rent to who? 25% of retail commercial property in the uk is either vacant, or on short term leasehold, with a 50 % failure rate on new business

4. Opportunity to align different club activities/income streams i.e. player development programmes and traingin facilities, larger Megastore and cafe type set up all on one site etc. nothing that cant be done on the original site, CAFE??? are you being serious?

Etc.

oh by the way, how long do you think it would take to recoup the £50+ million investment a new ground would take outside the top flight?

there's only 1 reason Milan hasn't sold us by now, and that's PRICE

Why wont anyone buy us?

Cos we play in some unknown mill town up North.

If we played in West London we would have a queue of Arab sheiks wanting to buy us.

Just read other posts and it seems most folk agree.  Sad.

in London? you mean like Bolton, or the other 20 or so clubs sold in the last few years that weren't in London either? yep, i can see where you get that idea from