not sure how much longer his Reading contract got to go - but he will not need to keep playing if he really doesn't fancy it - My Reading mate reckons  he's on 45K a week - hence  they are so desperate to get  him  off their wage bill. 

Well they can have him back,the sooner the better. :dry:

Drenthe gives me the impression of a player who's had enough of football.

Once his Reading contract is up he'll probably sign for some Dutch second division club, lay on his sofa all day eating crisps and dreaming of being 50 Cent.

Going on past reputation, on the day he signed I'd have gone along with this, but since he's been here his attitude seems perfectly fine.

Worked very hard when he came on the other night, even if nothing much seemed to come off for him.

Some players change as they get older aka Michael Owen. When he was 18 he was on fire and at the same age as Drenthe was at Real Madrid, Owen was HUGE in football. However, after a few injuries, by the time he was in his mid twenties he was half the player he had been and his career fizzled out. Drenthe could be the same. He was obviously the business at 22 when he went to Real Madrid, but he is now 27 years of age. He is small in stature (5' 6) and has matured and put on weight. Granted, he could weigh a lot less and i agree with the person who reckoned he was at least two stone overweight and no doubt that is through bad diet etc. However, he has undoubted talent.

People are being a bit harsh on the guy and to listen to some people you would think he was a poor man's Barry-Murphy. He was obviously a hot head when younger, wasn't focused and ultimately ended up out on load to various clubs from Real Madrid. He got older, put on natural weight as you do, but was still a very good player. Then he goes to Reading, get's bored, loses form, upsets a few people, doesn't play and the next thing he is  training with the kids, not given a number, misses pre season training and eats a lot of crisps. Then he arrives at Wednesday and plays ten to twenty minute cameo's in front of fans that have over dosed on Royston Drenthe you tube video's with rap music and Drenthe wearing the dredds.

The outcome of all that is dissapointment, because he hasn't beaten five guys, flipped the ball over his shoulder, rounded the keeper and slotted the ball into the net. Maybe we should buy Royston a Reggi Blinker wig and then he would start to resemble the 22 year old at Real Madrid, abeit with a weight problem and the crowd could sing that you tube song at full volume. Seriously though, people seem way too harsh on the bloke and expect too much too soon. He needs fitness, game time, not cameo's, to lose at least two stone in weight and to learn our way of playing. If that happens, then we have a player on our hands. We may not see that 22 year old you tube star, but we just may see a very very good player, who gives us options other players cannot do. 

i read somewhere he was earning 1500000 euros a year at the russian side he was at before he signed for reading i think that works out at 22000 quid a week

And if that's the case there's no way a team that had just been relegated from the Premiership with a wage bill of about 46 million (for 53 playing staff) is going to spunk 2.4 million a year on Drenthe, when they would've been doing everything they could to bring the wage bill right down.

Guest owl from retford

Seemed to eager to please when he came on the other night having said that he was playing in behind Nuhiu were Maghoma was rather see him get chance on the wing and keep May up front

And if that's the case there's no way a team that had just been relegated from the Premiership with a wage bill of about 46 million (for 53 playing staff) is going to spunk 2.4 million a year on Drenthe, when they would've been doing everything they could to bring the wage bill right down.

1.2 million a year not 2.4, it seems drenthe was signed in some way to do with a prospective new owner that was gonna buy the club and pulled out a couple of weeks after reading signed him

1.2 million a year not 2.4, it seems drenthe was signed in some way to do with a prospective new owner that was gonna buy the club and pulled out a couple of weeks after reading signed him

1.2 million a year that he was on in Russia and almost 2.4 million at Reading if this 45k a week is to be believed.

1.2 million a year that he was on in Russia and almost 2.4 million at Reading if this 45k a week is to be believed.

sadly in this day, it's NOT beyond belief...

however it could be shyte put about by his agent, in the hope of talkin' any future negotiations up...

but never dismiss what stupid football clubs can manage to pay so called premier league stars...

just look at the l**ds fiasco under ridsdale...

Some players change as they get older aka Michael Owen. When he was 18 he was on fire and at the same age as Drenthe was at Real Madrid, Owen was HUGE in football. However, after a few injuries, by the time he was in his mid twenties he was half the player he had been and his career fizzled out. Drenthe could be the same. He was obviously the business at 22 when he went to Real Madrid, but he is now 27 years of age. He is small in stature (5' 6) and has matured and put on weight. Granted, he could weigh a lot less and i agree with the person who reckoned he was at least two stone overweight and no doubt that is through bad diet etc. However, he has undoubted talent.

People are being a bit harsh on the guy and to listen to some people you would think he was a poor man's Barry-Murphy. He was obviously a hot head when younger, wasn't focused and ultimately ended up out on load to various clubs from Real Madrid. He got older, put on natural weight as you do, but was still a very good player. Then he goes to Reading, get's bored, loses form, upsets a few people, doesn't play and the next thing he is  training with the kids, not given a number, misses pre season training and eats a lot of crisps. Then he arrives at Wednesday and plays ten to twenty minute cameo's in front of fans that have over dosed on Royston Drenthe you tube video's with rap music and Drenthe wearing the dredds.

The outcome of all that is dissapointment, because he hasn't beaten five guys, flipped the ball over his shoulder, rounded the keeper and slotted the ball into the net. Maybe we should buy Royston a Reggi Blinker wig and then he would start to resemble the 22 year old at Real Madrid, abeit with a weight problem and the crowd could sing that you tube song at full volume. Seriously though, people seem way too harsh on the bloke and expect too much too soon. He needs fitness, game time, not cameo's, to lose at least two stone in weight and to learn our way of playing. If that happens, then we have a player on our hands. We may not see that 22 year old you tube star, but we just may see a very very good player, who gives us options other players cannot do. 

I see all yer points...but as an Owls fan and steeped in pessimism..

What if he just keeps eatin' crisps?

Some good points, but his weight is the main issue for me, it shows a lack of dicipline, desire and self respect(he says writing this with the same 2 stone overweight issue:)......something Owen will always have even though he's retired.

If you're serious about footy and not just in it for the money, as I believe Drenthe is now, then you dont let yourself go like he has....imo.

Going on past reputation, on the day he signed I'd have gone along with this, but since he's been here his attitude seems perfectly fine.

Worked very hard when he came on the other night, even if nothing much seemed to come off for him.

He did a couple of decent tackles, which quite surprised me, didn't know he had that in his game, but just read he used to play full back sometimes, so makes sense now.

Helan's been having a good go at proving me wrong, so I hope Drenthe does too, not going to hold my breathe though.

sadly in this day, it's NOT beyond belief...

however it could be shyte put about by his agent, in the hope of talkin' any future negotiations up...

but never dismiss what stupid football clubs can manage to pay so called premier league stars...

just look at the l**ds fiasco under ridsdale...

I'd have been more willing to believe it of most clubs a few years ago, but to be fair to Reading they've never spent ridiculously either on players or wages, so it's hard to imagine in the era of FFP that they'd be so frivolous with cash all of a sudden having just been relegated.

I don't doubt he's been on a healthy wage at Reading, but 45k a week just doesn't sound believable. It does sound like that kind of wage that fans come up with when they want to discredit a player that's flopping. A bit like the intellect I read on here a few weeks ago that reckoned Madine is on 20k a week.

I'd have been more willing to believe it of most clubs a few years ago, but to be fair to Reading they've never spent ridiculously either on players or wages, so it's hard to imagine in the era of FFP that they'd be so frivolous with cash all of a sudden having just been relegated.

I don't doubt he's been on a healthy wage at Reading, but 45k a week just doesn't sound believable. It does sound like that kind of wage that fans come up with when they want to discredit a player that's flopping. A bit like the intellect I read on here a few weeks ago that reckoned Madine is on 20k a week.

reading spent a fair whack on that russian lad Pobrenyak, think his wages is higher than 45k. 

reading spent a fair whack on that russian lad Pobrenyak, think his wages is higher than 45k. 

Many rumours that they were higher, but they were a Premiership club when they signed him, and it was on a free. Should have been a decent signing for them too because he looked quite decent at Fulham.

I see all yer points...but as an Owls fan and steeped in pessimism..

What if he just keeps eatin' crisps?

Well, we just send him back to Reading. I think by the time his loan period is up, we will know more about whether the guy will make the grade for Wednesday. By then he should have lost some weight, got up to match fitness, stopped eating the crisps and learned our style of play. If he looks promising, then a deal will be made and if not, it's back to Reading.