Some good points, but his weight is the main issue for me, it shows a lack of dicipline, desire and self respect(he says writing this with the same 2 stone overweight issue:)......something Owen will always have even though he's retired.

If you're serious about footy and not just in it for the money, as I believe Drenthe is now, then you dont let yourself go like he has....imo.

I too think that is Drenthe's big stumbling block. He is way too big for his height. I think personally that he had it all at Real Madrid and then blew it. His attitude was not good, his form obviously varied and Real Madrid signed better or more consistent players that were managable and so he was shipped out on loan. Once he left Real Madrid, i bet he thought " Jeeeez, i screwed that up big time " and realised what he had lost. He then became a journeyman player with talent and i think he lost his zest for football in general. With all due respect to Reading, turning up at their ground, playing with their players and with their support, it's such a MASSIVE comedown from Real Madrid and all that entails. Even at Wednesday, it's a comedown and not the same lifestyle by any stretch of the imagination. So that is why he is weighty and doesn't look the player he was. He knows he can still earn good money for the next four to five years and so he will carry on playing. It's like losing a girlfriend that was beautiful and kind, but you lost her because you acted like an idiot. You have other girlfriends, but you always want her and so the present one is never good enough.

Edited by Mick De Lyons