Need to drop Nuhui

Again it's a different world entirely from the 90s/noughties when Sheringham played. This isn't a dig at you mate - but the 'older' fan seems to have these blinkered spectacles on where they believe 'back in my day' the standard of football was considerably better, and the good players then could now hold themselves in the modern day.

I personally don't believe in any way, shape or form thats the case for players like Sheringham. You can't deny players from the past were exceptionally talented.. But do they in any way compete with modern footballers in terms of athleticism? No. 

Quite frankly, Nuhiu isn't an athlete. In fairness to the guy, he's lost a bit of extra weight and seems a little stronger. Fair play. But he's not, and never will be as able as say, Madine, to play two different roles either as a target man or a man who can run the channels. 

It's fairly harsh that I'm criticising him for something that is almost genetically predispositioned. But it's how it is. Today's game is cut-throat.

I will always believe that while we only have May, Nuhiu and Madine as available striking options - with the possibility of Hope, who seems to be being deployed more as a wideman - then we have nowhere near the depth and diversity of options that is required to get promoted. 

In a side like Derby - Nuhiu would flourish. But here? I have to say despite our fantastic start our slightly toothless attack is concerning me. Part of me thinks the only reason for this good start is down to Lees, Loovens and Westwood who all have been brilliant in keeping us clean sheets - meaning we only need one goal to win. But what if either of them get injured? The clean sheets go missing.... What then? We suffer. We don't have that quality up front to outscore the opposition when we concede. 

It's no coincidence that in two of the three games we've conceded we've failed to pick up all three points. And we came very close to blowing it against Middlesbrough. I think realistically I'm being awfully picky. But Nuhiu doesn't fill me with confidence before a game he's going to get a goal. May does, and hes been excellent so far. But we desperately need a partner for Stevie who can notch regularly too. Nuhiu is doing a great job, but he's not a convincing, consistent striker. The past few games he's dipped below his performances at the start of the season. It wouldn't surprise me if he goes on a barren run in front of goal now. 

Time will tell. I'm far from convinced we have the quality to maintain this run. Fantastic so far. Great performances. It can all quite easily fall apart though and that scares me.

I'm not really comparing the generational football. Just using Sheringham as a template to describe the sort of role I see Nuhiu performing for us.

The game has changed considerably. (Though I do believe these things go in repetitive cycles - but that's a different debate)

He (Nuhiu)  might well have a baron run, as strikers do.

We don't create as much as we'd like as a team.

Something Gray himself has alluded to in his recent comments about pass choices and decision making in the final third.

I agree with quite a few on here that Madine is the more capable finisher of the two.

However...........in a team that doesn't create much then the centre forward has to offer more than getting onto crosses that aren't coming and thru-balls that aren't being played. The days of the 'bog-liner' seem consigned to the past. - though at some stage they'll come back in fashion.

I haven't thought too deeply about it but I'd guess Nuhiu wouldn't be in my top ten Wednesday strikers,

But at the minute I think he's in our top two.

Until we sign someone else. Which doesn't seem likely then I can't fathom for the life of me why we are talking about dropping him.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Explain

Physicality has close links to aggression. 

Athleticism implies being athletic (obviously). Pace, strength.

The game has evolved from physical to athletic - a good progression. You can no longer get by just by being a rough head.

Physicality has close links to aggression.

Athleticism implies being athletic (obviously). Pace, strength.

The game has evolved from physical to athletic - a good progression. You can no longer get by just by being a rough head.

Physicality is more strength than anything. Aggression is a habit

I know what Jons saying about the more athletic nature of teams now with regards their fitness, preparation and personal training programmes.

Mind, I don't think Physicality is a thing of the past.

I'd say Stoke are a team of a very certain Physicality.  They may play more pleasing on the eye football under Hughes, but they still know how to leave a boot in and rough folks up on corners etc.

Reading were pretty physical on Saturday an all. - not that the referee seemed to notice!!

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Guest JonTheOwl66

This is quite possibly the most pointless argument about semantics I've had to endure on here. 

The game is more athletic now. That's a fact. Players like Bale wouldn't have existed 20 years ago.

Guest Mancunian_Owl

This is quite possibly the most pointless argument about semantics I've had to endure on here. 

The game is more athletic now. That's a fact. Players like Bale wouldn't have existed 20 years ago.

Toys out of the pram again over Nuhui Jon? Behave son, don't get involved in the debate if you don't enjoy it.

Physical and Athleticism are not polar opposites, you can be both Physical whilst being Athletic - Drogba being an example of a Physical Player as is Lukaku and to an extent Crouch. All are also very athletic in their football too, I for one believe that there is room for more than one type of player in any one position.

Players who fall over in a breeze wouldnt have lasted in the game 20 years ago. you're using the worst examples, Bale is a tank. Neymar wouldnt have lasted in the game.

Stop tip toeing and making ridiculous off-topic arguments and just say you simply dislike Nuhiu, simple.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Toys out of the pram again over Nuhui Jon? Behave son, don't get involved in the debate if you don't enjoy it.

Physical and Athleticism are not polar opposites, you can be both Physical whilst being Athletic - Drogba being an example of a Physical Player as is Lukaku and to an extent Crouch. All are also very athletic in their football too, I for one believe that there is room for more than one type of player in any one position.

Eh? You're basically saying exactly what I am.

Physicality on the whole has died down at the top while athleticism has risen.

Hence why Nuhiu needs dropping.

Flipping eck

Guest JonTheOwl66

Players who fall over in a breeze wouldnt have lasted in the game 20 years ago. you're using the worst examples, Bale is a tank. Neymar wouldnt have lasted in the game.

Stop tip toeing and making ridiculous off-topic arguments and just say you simply dislike Nuhiu, simple.

HENCE MY ARGUMENT THAT PHYSICALITY IS DEAD AND ATHLETICISM HAS RISEN.

LEADING TO A BRAND OF SUPER PLAYERS LIKE MESSI AND RONALDO

DO YOU EVEN REALISE WHAT YOURE SAYING? YOURE COMPLETELY AGREEING WITH ME.

FFS

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Eh? You're basically saying exactly what I am.

Physicality on the whole has died down at the top while athleticism has risen.

Hence why Nuhiu needs dropping.

Flipping eck

Errr no, re-read

Lukaku, Drogba, Crouchy, Lambert, Carroll all big physical strikers. Unless you are saying Nuhui cannot run four yards without passing out?

Guest Mancunian_Owl

HENCE MY ARGUMENT THAT PHYSICALITY IS DEAD AND ATHLETICISM HAS RISEN.

LEADING TO A BRAND OF SUPER PLAYERS LIKE MESSI AND RONALDO

DO YOU EVEN REALISE WHAT YOURE SAYING? YOURE COMPLETELY AGREEING WITH ME.

FFS

Actually no, if you read through the FA's player modules for how players like that are made, its nothing to do with athleticism. Players like this are created when technical skill comes before social maturity, where young players feel free to express their skills in an environment without criticism and pressure.

Hence why the "Four Corner Model" does not include Athleticism but the word Physical.Take a read, the FA's strategy was written after ten years research into the development of Elite Players from Grass Roots level.

Guest JonTheOwl66

Errr no, re-read

Lukaku, Drogba, Crouchy, Lambert, Carroll all big physical strikers. Unless you are saying Nuhui cannot run four yards without passing out?

If you read my previous point you'd see I had distinguished between physicality and athleticism.

You're talking about athleticism not physicality.

Madine will be gone soon, we will then get a replacement Stu wants....

Believe...

Oh, and it won't be Ben 10 or this Friday.....

lol

Madine is lg 1 that,s his division he did a job for us but that is history lets move on .Stuart gray does,nt anyone think if stu thought madine was up to it stuart would have played him he is not simple as .

Guest Mancunian_Owl

If you read my previous point you'd see I had distinguished between physicality and athleticism.

You're talking about athleticism not physicality

Sorry Jon, but you need to check up on Physical Development vs Athleticism the two are actually closely inter-twined. Don't want to get into a long debate, but how many young pacy wingers do we see these days? Actually very few, take Gnabry for example, a lot of people have said the lad needs to develop as whilst he has skill and ability he does not have the physical attributes to play every week competitively.

Again to re-quote the FA, the development of modern day footballers focusses on four aspects (four corner principal)

Physical

Technical

Social

Psychological

You are currently basing your argument on your explanation of the word Physicality, which is more akin to Physicality on the street rather than the Modern Game of Football. Physicallity and aggression are actually great traits in a footballer which are often examples of great attitude rather than great technical skill, however as I've mentioned in the above "4 Corners" principal these are just as important as running, agility and pace for the "Modern Footballer".