Wednesday to honour Paddy O'Connell?

Guest Deleted member

They are looking to do several events with teams he played for including Barcelona. SWFC has been handpicked as a team to help comemorate this. There are some very very big name ex Pros who are lined up to attend different events in england and barcelona, already quite a few names include  Johan Cruyff have expressed their wishes to attend an event at Hillsborough. The Middlesborough game has been lined up as a possible date for an event as he played for

This sounds brilliant, good marketing opportunity too.

Without looking it up, didn't one Fred Spiksley also manage Barcelona, and 'line-out' for us with considerably more success than this gentleman.     I believe Fred did some really fine lining out when we won T'Coop in 1907.

Statue to him please --- and statue for Andrew Wilson.

Seeing Franco's Guarda Civil henchman with the 3 cornered hat reminds me of when I went to a match in Spain in 1974.  Members of the Guarda Civil stood by the turnstiles, complete with machine guns.   They also used to stand outside Spanish banks in those days with m/c guns.  Anyone remember?

I'm helping Fergus Dowd and his team put this together at Hillsborough. Besides some household names, some past Wednesday legends will be attending like Jim McCalliog. As soon as we're in a position to promote and advertise the event, we will do so. We are hoping to hold the event on the Friday night before the Middleborough game on February 27th.

Guest Deleted member

They are looking to do several events with teams he played for including Barcelona. SWFC has been handpicked as a team to help comemorate this. There are some very very big name ex Pros who are lined up to attend different events in england and barcelona, already quite a few names include  Johan Cruyff have expressed their wishes to attend an event at Hillsborough. The Middlesborough game has been lined up as a possible date for an event as he played for them as well.

That does sound good! Johann Cruyff at Hillsborough for a dinner? I'm definitely up for some of that!

There wasn't an embargo on this story but with the detail still to be ironed out on several very big names it would have been better under wraps for a little while longer.

Paddy O'Connell was one of ours, no matter how brief his stay. The fact he is buried in a paupers grave with no head stone is signal enough for the Wednesday family to do something about it. Wouldn't you agree Grandad ?

Yep I do agree - so is this for a headstone, or a statue? (Or both??)

I'm helping Fergus Dowd and his team put this together at Hillsborough. Besides some household names, some past Wednesday legends will be attending like Jim McCalliog. As soon as we're in a position to promote and advertise the event, we will do so. We are hoping to hold the event on the Friday night before the Middleborough game on February 27th.

Well done Peter - is this a Wednesdayite thing then, or is it a club event? (Its just the article I saw tweeted today said its the club?)

Surprised they've not named a stand after him. lol

lol

(accidentally negged - stoopid iPad)

They are looking to do several events with teams he played for including Barcelona. SWFC has been handpicked as a team to help comemorate this. There are some very very big name ex Pros who are lined up to attend different events in england and barcelona, already quite a few names include  Johan Cruyff have expressed their wishes to attend an event at Hillsborough. The Middlesborough game has been lined up as a possible date for an event as he played for them as well.

Did he ever watch a game at the stain? cricket and or football? I'm sure Mcsue will want to muscle in on this photo op?

Guest AbbeyOwl

whether you agree with it or observe it a minutes silence is never a waste of time

How thick are you, if I observe a minutes silence I have wasted a minute that is a measurement of time lol

Grandad asked:

Well done Peter - is this a Wednesdayite thing then, or is it a club event? (Its just the article I saw tweeted today said its the club?)

Neither Nigel. Fergus Dowd from Dublin contacted me about this event as well as contacting the Club and asked both the Club and Wednesdayite (through me) whether we could help support the Paddy O'Connell Memorial Fund by holding an event at Hillsborough. Some very famous names in the world of football are involved and the POCMF also wanted a Club historian to be involved. After consulting with Lee (Kivo) we decided on John Brodie. This gentleman's knowledge on SWFC is unbelievable and it is humbling just speaking to him. He even has photographs of Paddy O'Connell and I think he even has his first international cap for Ireland. Anyway both the Club and myself were happy to offer assistance on the basis it is a privilege to assist in upholding the memory of former players, particularly as in this case he had such a tragic and inauspicious end.

Grandad asked:

Neither Nigel. Fergus Dowd from Dublin contacted me about this event as well as contacting the Club and asked both the Club and Wednesdayite (through me) whether we could help support the Paddy O'Connell Memorial Fund by holding an event at Hillsborough. Some very famous names in the world of football are involved and the POCMF also wanted a Club historian to be involved. After consulting with Lee (Kivo) we decided on John Brodie. This gentleman's knowledge on SWFC is unbelievable and it is humbling just speaking to him. He even has photographs of Paddy O'Connell and I think he even has his first international cap for Ireland. Anyway both the Club and myself were happy to offer assistance on the basis it is a privilege to assist in upholding the memory of former players, particularly as in this case he had such a tragic and inauspicious end.

You didint have to grow up with him as your dad ;) haha!

Guest Deleted member

Grandad asked:

Tell John Brodie next time you speak to him, he should be writing in the newly expanded programme!!

Sounds a very interesting chap!

Headstone or statute is not within our remit. There will however be a fitting tribute !

Pennies dropping now, is this the event that John Gath mentioned on Saturday?

Tell John Brodie next time you speak to him, he should be writing in the newly expanded programme!!

Sounds a very interesting chap!

Pennies dropping now, is this the event that John Gath mentioned on Saturday?

It's not this sat no. They are looking at the Middlesbrough game as a possible date given he played for both teams

It's not this sat no. They are looking at the Middlesbrough game as a possible date given he played for both teams

Paddy O'Connell's last game for Wednesday was against Middlesbrough but I'm sure your Dad will confirm that Paddy didn't actually play for Boro. After leaving Hillsborough, he had a spell at Hull City before going to play for Man. Utd.