Wednesday to honour Paddy O'Connell?

Guest Deleted member

O_CONNELL.v1368616563.jpg

Tell you what - if we had people on the coaching staff with guns now, we'd have no problem motivating Maghoma to get up and down that wing

Left to right: Eric Cantona (moonlighting as a matador) Lee Evans, Jimmy Cagney with mumps, Humphrey Bogart and a young Richard Nixon. They are at Salvador Dali's birthday bash in Salou

I actually read that over someone's shoulder on the plane to Spain yesterday.

What are the Spanish clubs doing for him? Towards the fundraising.

Apologies for the delay in responding.

We are working with Julio Jimenez Heras external relations director of Real Betis there will be a fundraising event on Dec 21st in Seville and next May to celebrate the 80th anniversary of Real Betis winning their only title in 1935 under O'Connell's stewardship.

Another club that Mr. O'Connell managed in Spain Real Oviedo are also behind the project and Racing Santander.

We have contacted Barcelona and our request is with their board and Guardian journalist Sid Lowe and Gulf News journalist and Barca fan Jason Pettigrove is helping us also with their Barca connections.

Andy Mitten a UK journalist now based in Barcelona is also behind the project - Andy also has a Man United link and started the United We Stand magazine.

I spoke to Paddy Crerrand ex Man United & Scotland on Friday and he is also behind the project.

A host of former Barca players have donated shirts from Cruyff,Figo,Koeman,Eto,Kluivert - even Real Madrid's Gareth Bale has donated a shirt and former Madrid(ex Romania) player Gheorge Hagi donated a shirt - Real Betis,Racing Santander and Real Oviedo have also donated shirts.

From the Basque region Real Sociedad fans donated a shirt which was signed by former manager John Toshack in Wales.

But has been said your colleagues Peter Shaw Wednesdayite,John Brodie(Historian) and Trevor Braithwaite deserve a lot of credit as the first club involved in this story to support this project. 

It has been a pleasure working on this project it has brought football fans from Ireland,UK and Continental Europe together to work on a common goal.

Roll on February 27th(2015) should be a great night.....

For any ex pats based in Spain -

-----------Press Release------------

•  
  •  
    •  
    Championship5.jpg
    On Sunday, 21st of December, the Patrick O'Connell Memorial Fund will have a fundraising event in Seville to commemorate Patrick O'Connell's greatest success as a manager, when he won La Liga with Real Betis in 1935.
    The Real Betis vs Racing Club de Santander match of that weekend holds great symbolic significance due to the fact that O'Connell managed both teams and maintained great affection for each of them. Moreover, Real Betis won the league in 1935 after beating Santander 0-5 in the final match of the season. O'Connell spent more than 15 years living in the Andalusian capital and during his time there was much loved amongst the locals.
    To mark the occasion, the POC fund will be presenting a short video on the life of O'Connell prior to the match at the Benito Villamarín stadium in Seville. We have a number of signed football jerseys which we will present at the stadium and then auction or raffle at a post-match function in the Merchant Malt House Irish Bar in Seville.
    Amongst the jerseys there will be Real Betis and Racing Club de Santander shirts signed by both teams, a 
    London
     Irish rugby shirt
     donated by the club
     signed by 
    legends of the game from Ireland,England,Scotland and Wales
     , a Glasgow Celtic shirt signed by members of the victorious European Cup "Lisbon Lions" team from 1967
     the shirt was taken to Lisbon by Lion Bertie Auld and signed prior to the all Madrid CL final last season,given the link between Celtic and Betis this shirt will be auctioned in Seville also an Éire Óg Seville GAA shirt signed by a number of Irish GAA All-Stars including Henry Shefflin, Brian Cody, Marc Ó'Sé, Paul Galvin, Leo McCloone, and Dara O'Cinneide.
    An Irish shirt signed by the greatest XI (as picked by a panel of experts) to don the green of Ireland will also be on display - Given,Irwin,Staunton,McGrath,Hurley,Giles,Brady,Roy Keane,Ray Houghton,Frank Stapleton,Robbie Keane.
    GAASignedShirt.jpg
    RealBetisSignedShirt.jpg
    The POC FUND hopes to rebuild the name of Patrick “Don Patricio†O'Connell in a city where he left such an enormous mark.
    The honourable David Cooney, The Irish Ambassador to Spain, Ignacio de la Oliva Agulló, the Honourary Irish Consul to Seville, representatives of Real Betis Balompie and Racing Club de Santander, and family members of the Real Betis team of 1935 will be in attendance at the event. 
    Donations can also be made at 

Guest DubOwl

At ease gentlemen just wanted to let you know after 57 years in an unmarked grave former Owl Patrick O'Connell had a proper memorial installed recently in London.

An official ceremony will take place in late August at St. Mary's Cemetery,Kensal Green, London.

Our group of four football fans from Ireland,England and Scotland managed to raise the necessary funds.

Thanks to the club and Paul and Peter from Wednesdayite who were the first club and supporters group to help with a fundraising event for our project @ Hillsborough and to former players Mel Sterland and Phil King.

On 30th Dec 2015 Patrick was honoured by FC Barcelona & President Josep Maria Bartomeau and inducted into the hall of fame at Camp Nou our fund members attended the event at Camp Nou before the Barca v Betis match.

Full details here with video of the event.

http://www.pocfund.com/poc-fund-news/64-camp-nou-ceremony-inducts-don-patricio-to-hall-of-fame.html

So if any of you are going to Camp Nou there is a small link with the Owls.

One of our funds goals was to get Sue O'Connell's book published about Patrick - Amberley Publishing House UK have agreed to publish Sue's book.

'The Man Who Saved FC Barcelona : The Remarkable Life of Patrick O'Connell' is released this Friday July 15th in all good book stores and online.

Full details about our fund can be found here - www.pocfund.com

Thanks for your time.

grave.jpg

book.jpg

I heard about this guy several years ago when I think it was Michael Porrillo did a programme about him on Radio 5 I think it was.

Wouldn't it be good if we good celebrate out 150th Season hopefully promoted with a pre-season friendly against Barcalona at Hillsborough with a bit of fund raising for the statue to boot.

Without reading all the replies, Whats with all the euros in the article or is that just my pc?

Ever thought it could take place next summer in a mini tournament at hillboro, us barca betis and man utd? 150 years an all that too

6 hours ago, owl-zat said:

I heard about this guy several years ago when I think it was Michael Porrillo did a programme about him on Radio 5 I think it was.

Wouldn't it be good if we good celebrate out 150th Season hopefully promoted with a pre-season friendly against Barcalona at Hillsborough with a bit of fund raising for the statue to boot.

Should have read all the comments, mine seems alittle silly now?

On 02/09/2014 at 13:58, Grandad said:

Strange story this - after he made 21 appearances for us way back in 1908 - just seen this on Twitter?

Personally I'd never heard of him. 

Would have thought this was your vintage Grandad - Memory is always first to go .