The Gray Effect: Making Players Better

Guest Ripley Owl

One of the worst things about Dave Jones, was the fact that whatever the problem - a striker not scoring, a midfielder having a bad game (even if it was the manager's fault for leaving him over-run), a defender getting injured - his solution was always to just go out and buy another player.  And preferably one who had played for him before.

Gray has a totally different attitude and wants to work with players and make them better.

Even better, he doesn't just judge players by their pay packet or reputation but has a proper football brain, see their attributes and works out how to get the best out of them.  If you look at several players in the team, Gray has identified where their stregths lay and even changed the position to get the best out of these:

• Huthchinson had always been a right back or centre half until we signed him, SG saw that he wasn't the tallest but was a tenacious tackler with bags of energy so put him as the ball winner in centre mid, and look what a revelation he's been
  • Lee was signed as right back and played wide mid by Jones, but SG saw how good he was on the ball so moved him into centre mid, saving us a fortune if we'd signed someone else to pay that position
  • Maguire had always played front, but SG decided his good technical ability was better utilised out wide creating chances for others, and where his lack of physicality wouldn't be so much of a problem
  • Palmer is not an out-and-out proper full back under SG's tutelage (apparently he spent week individually teaching him how to head the ball over the summer)
What a difference it makes to have a manager who is a proper coach, works with the players everyday and therefore understands them inside out, rather than one who just wants to rock up to the training ground on Friday to pick the team and spends the rest of the week with netballers.
Definitely the best post of the season !

Guest Ripley Owl

Perhaps it is the right time to have a head coach, as opposed to a manager in the traditional sense. 

Maybe modern players prefer people who are on the training pitch most of the time, as opposed to someone who's there, allegedly, two days a week and then picks the team.

I think we were all surprised when Milan made Gray Head Coach AS SUCH ! Instead of giving him the title of Manager.

Looks like another master stroke by Milan

Really looking forward to the match tomorrow now and of course the Yorkshire fishcakes and Curry at the chippy opposite the Wednesdayite car park.

UP THE OWLS !

Guest Brian Yarnall

The reason why Gray is doing a good job is that he is able to get 11 players to play as a team within a system they are comfortable with something Jones could never do.

The reason why Gray is doing a good job is that he is able to get 11 players to play as a team within a system they are comfortable with something Jones could never do.

Which makes the additions to the squad all the more important

We are in a good place at the moment, MM needs to back Gray NOW

Our lack of strength in depth is our only weakness

While I agree Gray is doing a good job at the moment and getting the most out of the players and resources available to him it only takes losing a couple of close games and everyone with low intelligence thinks he is clueless.

Changed it for you

While I agree Gray is doing a good job at the moment and getting the most out of the players and resources available to him it only takes losing a couple of close games and everyone thinks he is clueless.

You're right of course but it's not just the effectiveness that is impressive but the whole way he goes about things. There seems to be a really good feeling about the place now.

Lets see. As shown last season this squad is very much reliant on confidence and SG struggled a bit towards the end of the season though we were injury plagued.

Hope he is THE one, lets see.

I think that there were plausible reasons for the disappointing run in but that has been well aired on other threads so I'll leave it there.

it must be first time in ages both Sheffield clubs have likeable managers.... least we have Toytowns bitter manager to laugh at

Why who have sheffield f.c. got in charge ?

You can't mean clough as everyone I would class as likeable would distance themselves from a certain individual . Still his dad was a managerial god :-)

Really impressed with what I've seen from SG this year and the transformation of some of these players is bewildering.

Maghoma looks like a completely transformed player, as though someone has been giving him football injections and feeding him raw heart during the close season.

Well done Stuart Gray...!

Why who have sheffield f.c. got in charge ?

You can't mean clough as everyone I would class as likeable would distance themselves from a certain individual . Still his dad was a managerial god :-)

im not sure he has much choice if you are referring to Ched.

im not sure he has much choice if you are referring to Ched.

Everyone has a choice in everything they do . Lets face it if he binned the pigs on principal hed get another managerial job , the pigs are hardly a top prem team where he couldnt get a better job . And if it does happen , however big that if is , hes going to be on the sidelines at every game listening to abuse . Plus at some point theyll sack him so its hardly a great loss :-) unemployment is a step up from the pigs :-) . But on a lighter note gray has got us fighting for each other again and saturday considering the derby hype I didnt think they troubled us at all . Bring on millwall :-)

Slightly off topic lads but do we know what's up with Kieran Lee?

Glanced in Stevie Mays kit bag before Derby and saw the secrets of the Universe.

Dazed him at bit and he slipped in his flip flops slightly tweaked his groin.

On going assessment by Smithy and team.