Where we were 105 years ago.

Guest Steve French

106 years on and nothings changed. They haven't got a goalie either :biggrin:

There's a rare version of that pic with a young fat Nev Southall. Played for everybody ant he?

Were you there then Dunsby. ? How were the pies in them days ?

they are still selling the same batch!

I'm not from Sheffield so excuse my ignorance but was the reasoning behind moving the ground right next to a river and on what seems a relatively squashed plot of land? I was under the impression it was all farmland back then?

Guest OsiinAlnwick

I think that it was considered quite a large site by 19c standards. It did eventually become a stadium capable of holding over 70,000 people and was at the cutting edge of stadium design, both in 1900s and again in the 1960s. Parking was obviously not an issue when the ground was chosen either.

My understanding is that the river ran right through the ground when it was first bought and had to be redirected before major work could commence, although I might be wrong about that as it would seem a major undertaking.

they are still selling the same batch!

I'm not from Sheffield so excuse my ignorance but was the reasoning behind moving the ground right next to a river and on what seems a relatively squashed plot of land? I was under the impression it was all farmland back then?

Wasn't it all part of an estate including all the land of surrounding housing and Hillsborough park?