time for PFA to draw up "professional" guidelines... re Ched/Madine etc

its time for the PFA to draw up some guidelines re "professionalism" imo.

Players such as Ched who have raped someone or King who has been convicted of sex related cases should not be allowed to play again in this country. Add in players involved in the death of someone like that lad from Plymouth should also be banned for life.

Then down to lesser offences such as Madine etc should be 3 chances (convictions) and you are out.

its time for the PFA to draw up some guidelines re "professionalism" imo.

Players such as Ched who have raped someone or King who has been convicted of sex related cases should not be allowed to play again in this country. Add in players involved in the death of someone like that lad from Plymouth should also be banned for life.

Then down to lesser offences such as Madine etc should be 3 chances (convictions) and you are out.

Unfortunately, what you propose is contrary to the law of the land.

Those who have served the legally accepted portion of their sentence and adhere to their licence conditions are at liberty to go about their life and earn a living.

What, however, would be refreshing is for the whole football community to show some decent moral judgement and refuse to employ such people.

And that includes Madine. Everybody seems to consider his a lesser offence but it's more by luck than judgement; he could have been doing 8 to 10 for manslaughter.

Guest Distraught!

In an environment with such little in terms of morals and ethics, I would think the suggestion would just lead to a number of high court challenges. If Evans was now told he could not pursue a career as a footballer, McCabe would probably put in a legal challenge.

Sorry, my post says much the same as the one above it - just a little slower off the mark.

Edited by Distraught!

Unfortunately, what you propose is contrary to the law of the land.

Those who have served the legally accepted portion of their sentence and adhere to their licence conditions are at liberty to go about their life and earn a living.

What, however, would be refreshing is for the whole football community to show some decent moral judgement and refuse to employ such people.

And that includes Madine. Everybody seems to consider his a lesser offence but it's more by luck than judgement; he could have been doing 8 to 10 for manslaughter.

I agree with pretty much most of that. Leave the law to sort out punishments is my view.

Guest Distraught!

Its not the law of the land.

eg, Policeman gets caught drink driving can't be an officer again.

That comes under contract law because it is specifically stipulated in some work contracts that committal of serious offences will result in dismissal. The contract clause is agreed at the beginning of the period of employment by both parties. The same requirement is probably not included in footballers' contracts.

That comes under contract law because it is specifically stipulated in some work contracts that committal of serious offences will result in dismissal. The contract clause is agreed at the beginning of the period of employment by both parties. The same requirement is probably not included in footballers' contracts.

But the point is that because it is a contract condition it could be. If football wished to claim the moral high ground then the FA, EPL & FL could agree with it's member clubs that a "Moral Hazard" clause could be inserted in all players contracts so that any criminal record is grounds not only for dismissal but also for refusing re-employment.

This could be rolled out practically immediately by including it in all new contracts. All it would take is unity from the clubs.

As for the PFA, as a union they would be dead against it.

Sadly don't see it ever happening.

Edited by Utah Owl

Guest Distraught!

But the point is that because it is a contract condition it could be. If football wished to claim the moral high ground then the FA, EPL & FL could agree with it's member clubs that a "Moral Hazard" clause could be inserted in all players contracts so that any criminal record is grounds not only for dismissal but also for refusing re-employment.

This could be rolled out practically immediately by including it in all new contracts. All it would take is unity from the clubs.

That's the problem - everyone at every level in the game would be against it.

Clubs would be fearful about having to sack their "prize asset" because he got drunk and into a brawl at a night club. 

Agents would not agree to have such a clause in the contract of their cash cows.

Players themselves wouldn't agree to such a clause.

Unlike police officers, teachers, medicare workers and other officials in positions of trust, there is no clear argument for such a clause on a legal basis. It would have to be voluntary and would be rejected.

I suspect that a blanket ban within professional English football would fall foul of British law. Even if not I'd expect that ultimately the European Court of Appeal would stymie it anyway. Just my opinion.

I expect it will be left in the hands of individual clubs to decide whether or not to employ and I'd hazard a guess that expediency would be the arbiter in any decision making.

Edited by Dagmeister

As a general rule, once you've served your sentence, you should be allowed to get on with your life.

I can see that there should be special rules for people in positions of trust (eg. law enforcement, legal/medical professions, contact with children/elderly). I can't see why that applies to football.

I also think there's a difference between, say, Gary Madine (who recognises that he's committed a crime, and has apologised) and Ched Evans (who has shown no remorse, apparently still believes he is innocent, is still trying to appeal, and whose supporters have illegally published the name of his victim on Twitter).

They can condemn it though.

Something which never seems to happen.

Like so many things in football it can be dealt with, or go someway to being dealt with, if the governing bodies just condemned it.

Madness that they haven't said they can play but that doesn't mean they're welcome...