Youth contracts

Found out a bit of info today for those interested

New contracts -

- Rafa Floro and Mani Dieseruvwe given another year. Ayo Obileye offered chance to come back but expected to leave

- Jack Stobbs, Joe Wildsmith, Simon Hanna and Franck Betra all offered pro deals from the U18s

- Four players, including Josh Stachini, have signed scholarships with the academy after leaving Man City. New link between the two clubs lets Wednesday have first look at City's youngsters.

Leaving -

- Adam Hinchliffe, Johnny Fenwick, Khalil Lambin, Jack Taylor, Sean Mullan, Ryan Lee and Charlie Dawes all released.

Is the new link with Man City official, i.e. is there some kind of contract involved?

Do you know who the other ex Man City youngsters are? 

Thought Dawes had good chance of getting a pro-deal, but not that surprised that he was let go. On the other hand Hanna, who I thought was in similar situation to Dawes signed a pro deal, and I'm really glad about it. Hinchliffe looked a really good player, but with likes of McCabe and Corry having another year on their contracts, and Hanna moving up from academy, it probably felt like we had too many young CM's on our books so someone had to miss out.

Still, most important thing to me is that we signed young Stobbs and Betra who seem like "real" prospects.

Dawes is no loss in my opinion, though I haven't seen him play in a few months. When I did see him, he was miles out of position all the time and constantly being coached on what to do. I know players at this age need that feedback, I made that exact point yesterday with Stobbs, but the amount he needed seemed excessive. More surprised about Hinchcliffe. Saw him boss a fair few games and offered a hell of a lot more in those games than McCabe or Corey.

I certainly wouldn't look into performances for the u21's too much. The vast majority of young footballers will play better with better players around them. There won't be many who stand out at that level.

Is the new link with Man City official, i.e. is there some kind of contract involved?

Do you know who the other ex Man City youngsters are?

Only other one I can remember was a goalkeeper called McDonnell.

Others include Devante Hyman and Mason Duffy, not sure if they're from City though.

Dawes is on trial with Barnsley

Only other one I can remember was a goalkeeper called McDonnell.

Others include Devante Hyman and Mason Duffy, not sure if they're from City though.

Dawes is on trial with Barnsley

I believe that Duffy is, don't know about other one...

Guest Big Guns

If there's a chance Betra will leave, would we get more money if he's made first team appearences or is that not a thing anymore?

Just a thought...

ive heard betra and stobbs are to be offered  new pro deals and both could feature satday

I doubt there is any arrangement because when a club releases a player they pretty much lose control of what happens to that player.

Every club tries to place their released players with other clubs - i suspect Arsenal were trying to find some interested clubs and Terry Burton recommended we take a look

It's difficult to place these players because they have to earn a professional contract and be deemed good enough to be able to improve enough to fight for a first team place

Or otherwise they can be cheap shirt fillers for the development squad

Yeah I was thinking from city's pov, what's the point? Unless there's financial gain it's in their interest to send on loan and find players homes at various clubs.

It's good if they think we make a good home for them though.

Re some of the lads who are being released, grays comments today were interesting. Basically saying a lot of academy players are all about getting the ball and passing it on, almost methodical whereas he likes players to try and take a man on. Perhaps that's why betra and Stobbs are making it and others aren't

Guest phshaw

Any info on Taylor McKenzie or Andelko Savic?

Taylor will not be offered a further deal as he is deemed not good enough. He is out on trial at the moment in his attempt to secure a contract elsewhere. The higher up the football hierarchy you go or the greater your aspirations, the screening (call it culling if you like) has to inevitably be more stringent.

It's tough for the young players who have yet to achieve their goal of making the first team. Assessing potential is damn difficult for staff and with respect to success or failure for youngsters, the margins can be so fine and chances difficult to obtain.

It is not possible to get it right at all times (that's why players like Waddle, Beardsley and Platt, et al slip through the net) but the job is to get it right most of the time by identifying the ones that are seen as having what our Club needs in view of where they are now and where they aspire to get to.