Youth contracts

Wasn't it Dawes that came on in the pre season match at Chesterfield?

Any news on that Swan (i think) that came from Man City? Centre back i think.

The Man City link up could be quite interesting if we play it right.

Swan was on loan from City. Got a serious injury after a couple of weeks and went back to City. Meant to be a very good player but keeps getting serious injuries.

I doubt there is any arrangement because when a club releases a player they pretty much lose control of what happens to that player.

Every club tries to place their released players with other clubs - i suspect Arsenal were trying to find some interested clubs and Terry Burton recommended we take a look

It's difficult to place these players because they have to earn a professional contract and be deemed good enough to be able to improve enough to fight for a first team place

Or otherwise they can be cheap shirt fillers for the development squad

In the dark and distant past, when I was involved with Junior and youth football, and had to select a squad of 16 from 20+ players, I would always do my best to find clubs for the players who did not make the cut at the club I was at, and told them to come back and make me eat my descision.

Which quite a few did, which pleased me a great deal.

Guest russd

Find it odd that Dawes has been released, Bullen was talking to him a few weeks ago about the pre-season tour in the summer.

Find it even more strange that since he has been told that 3 other champ clubs have been in touch with him about a trial (plus others from lower leagues and Scotland).

Time will tell if he makes it. Bit short sighted though, we have a development squad for them to develop?!

reading the rocky road by eamon dunphy and good piece in there about young footballers making the grade .they all have skill & ability but without the mental strength and character they are never going to get to be a full time pro .I'd guess some of those we are releasing that have surprised some on here just lack that toughness.

Guest Sheff Owl

Reading the piece by Bullen this morning, it seems there's a good likelihood that we will lose Betra That would be a shame as he seems a natural goalscorer, and we know how hard they are to find

How is it a good likelihood?

We want him to stay, we are speaking to his agent, that's the same with Kirkland, Loovens, Onyewu etc..is it a good likelihood they will go too?

How is it a good likelihood?

We want him to stay, we are speaking to his agent, that's the same with Kirkland, Loovens, Onyewu etc..is it a good likelihood they will go too?

As it happens, yeah I think there is a good likelihood that Onyewu will go, but Loovens and Kirkland will probably stay. Betra is a sort after young goalscorer and I think he will get offers we probably won't be able to match. If the bigger clubs come calling, then I think he'll be off. I hope not but I'm not optimistic, especially following Hayden White's departure last year.

Guest Sheff Owl

Realistically nobody knows what's going to happen with regards new deals or potential signings, people are just guessing and assuming.

People think Loovens will stay but how do we know? He has been the better of the two between Himself and Onyewu, he could be more in demand than Onyewu. 

Beevers was in demand just before he broke into the first team but stayed, Buxton was attracting interest from Nottingham Forest but stayed.

As it happens, yeah I think there is a good likelihood that Onyewu will go, but Loovens and Kirkland will probably stay. Betra is a sort after young goalscorer and I think he will get offers we probably won't be able to match. If the bigger clubs come calling, then I think he'll be off. I hope not but I'm not optimistic, especially following Hayden White's departure last year.

Bullen doesn't sound overly optimistic, I agree:

Talks are on-going between Wednesday and Betra’s representatives, with the French forward’s deal set to run out in the summer.

Bullen, the former Owls skipper, said: “Franck enjoys playing here and we are desperate for him to stay with us. We are speaking to his agent and doing our best to keep him but it just depends on what his agent is looking for.”

Dawes is no loss in my opinion, though I haven't seen him play in a few months. When I did see him, he was miles out of position all the time and constantly being coached on what to do. I know players at this age need that feedback, I made that exact point yesterday with Stobbs, but the amount he needed seemed excessive. More surprised about Hinchcliffe. Saw him boss a fair few games and offered a hell of a lot more in those games than McCabe or Corey.