David Hirst - when he signed.

I was young when Hirsty signed for Wednesday.

Was it a coup?  Did anyone else have him on their radar?  Did anyone think he'd be a great striker?

Another thread tonight is about a kid apparently signing for us, destined to be big things according to his dad.........I just wondered who was the last kid we signed with a lot of promise, and I thought of Hirsty.  

Has there been anyone else since who I am forgetting?

Oh dear it's Friday night on Owlstalk.

The smart answer would probably be Bart Williams but keep up the wise cracks, it has probably got far more mileage in the thread!!!!

Wasn't wise cracking mate

Beevers was always touted as the next big thing

If he'd had been managed properly, in a decent side, he might have been

The other one I remember getting rave reviews was Richie Humpreys

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest TykeTheMick

Well here is my memories from a Barnsley Fan.

We'd heard about this kid in the reserves/youths for a bit, he was a man/boy like Rooney was to become years later. 17 and stong as on ox and as quick as Carl Lewis. When he debuted for us, I'd never seen a player of such potential, so strong quick, and most of all direct. He took the ball and decided to get it into the net in the least possible time. Blasters, taking everyone on, just Roy Of The Rovers football.

Saw him score every one of his league goals for us, Grimsby, Leeds etc et all and you did steal him for £250k.

Drinking and injuries robbed England harder.

He was the most exciting player I ever saw n the flesh (& I followed England watched Gazza etc)

Superb Player lads

Now rumble off and get relegated! UTR!

We'd heard about this kid in the reserves/youths for a bit, he was a man/boy like Rooney was to become years later. 17 and stong as on ox and as quick as Carl Lewis. When he debuted for us, I'd never seen a player of such potential, so strong quick, and most of all direct. He took the ball and decided to get it into the net in the least possible time. Blasters, taking everyone on, just Roy Of The Rovers football.

Saw him score every one of his league goals for us, Grimsby, Leeds etc et all and you did steal him for £250k.

He was the most exciting player I ever saw n the flesh (& I followed England watched Gazza etc)

Superb Player lads

Now roger off and get relegated! UTR!

You did so well untill the last bit.

Pint of Bitter?

Wasn't wise cracking mate

Beevers was always touted as the next big thing

If he'd had been managed properly, in a decent side, he might have been

The other one I remember getting rave reviews was Richie Humpreys

Humpreys was ruined by being stuck at left back.

Don't get me started - I went to a few reserves back then when Waddle was in charge.   Waddle tried so hard to save Humpreys career with Wednesday you could see he was kicking every ball, making every tackle etc for him.    I've never seen a player with so much potential lose it so big style, he was no Hirsty, but that kid had an awful lot of talent he has never used since those first few games of that season when he played up front alongside Booth.

Guest TykeTheMick

You did so well untill the last bit.

Pint of Bitter?

Ha not really, I hope all the Yorkshire teams stay up, it's only banter.

I live in Hudders and gently jibed em when we turned em over last week. But I didn't get too cocky for there is always a defeat round the corner!!

Enjoy your season lads, remember, as poo poo as both our teams maybe, we are both playing in the best league in the world The Championship (honest)

Superb Player lads

Now roger off and get relegated! UTR!

exactly as he was as an owl,probably our best ever striker... he had everything!! 

Guest RuddyNora

Due to the injuries of strikers David Hirst and Mark Bright, Wednesday manager David Pleat gave Humphreys the opportunity to go on Wednesday's pre-season tour of the Netherlands. Humphreys played the first game and scored twice. He then played in the second game against FC Utrecht and scored again. Johan Cruyff was the guest of honour for that game and he praised Humphreys and said he was the next Marco van Basten. It was during this pre season tour that he was taken under the wing and guidance of Wednesday legend Chris Waddle. After scoring 4 goals in his first 5 Premier League games lifting Wednesday to the top of the league, David Pleat decided to release his mentor Waddle. Humphreys did not score another league goal all season (only notching a hat-trick in a League Cup game against Grimsby Town in a 7–1 win)

Damn. Was at that game.

Humpreys was ruined by being stuck at left back.

Don't get me started - I went to a few reserves back then when Waddle was in charge.   Waddle tried so hard to save Humpreys career with Wednesday you could see he was kicking every ball, making every tackle etc for him.    I've never seen a player with so much potential lose it so big style, he was no Hirsty, but that kid had an awful lot of talent he has never used since those first few games of that season when he played up front alongside Booth.

I never got the Humphreys thing, he played left back at newfield and never pulled up any trees. he wasn't even the best player in the school team, don't get me wrong I was proud and some what jealous that a mate from the year below me was banging them in for Wednesday but I always wondered why he never played up front at school