David Hirst - when he signed.

Well here is my memories from a Barnsley Fan.

We'd heard about this kid in the reserves/youths for a bit, he was a man/boy like Rooney was to become years later. 17 and stong as on ox and as quick as Carl Lewis. When he debuted for us, I'd never seen a player of such potential, so strong quick, and most of all direct. He took the ball and decided to get it into the net in the least possible time. Blasters, taking everyone on, just Roy Of The Rovers football.

Saw him score every one of his league goals for us, Grimsby, Leeds etc et all and you did steal him for £250k.

Drinking and injuries robbed England harder.

He was the most exciting player I ever saw n the flesh (& I followed England watched Gazza etc)

Superb Player lads

Now roger off and get relegated! UTR!

Good summary.

Pity it was from a Dingle lol

Enjoy playing the blunts next season in L1

Great signing by wilkinson, had not heard of him myself at the time.

Good summary by the Tyke.

The other player I thought of along with Bart Williams who has been mentioned was Ian Knight. One of the classiest looking young centre backs I have ever seen.

Due to the injuries of strikers David Hirst and Mark Bright, Wednesday manager David Pleat gave Humphreys the opportunity to go on Wednesday's pre-season tour of the Netherlands. Humphreys played the first game and scored twice. He then played in the second game against FC Utrecht and scored again. Johan Cruyff was the guest of honour for that game and he praised Humphreys and said he was the next Marco van Basten. It was during this pre season tour that he was taken under the wing and guidance of Wednesday legend Chris Waddle. After scoring 4 goals in his first 5 Premier League games lifting Wednesday to the top of the league, David Pleat decided to release his mentor Waddle. Humphreys did not score another league goal all season (only notching a hat-trick in a League Cup game against Grimsby Town in a 7–1 win)

Damn. Was at that game.

I was at this one, the only time I have been in the Grandstand. Don't know why, but this goal often gets overlooked in favour of the chip a couple of weeks later v Leicester. Still think he could have been a major talent.

I never got the Humphreys thing, he played left back at newfield and never pulled up any trees. he wasn't even the best player in the school team, don't get me wrong I was proud and some what jealous that a mate from the year below me was banging them in for Wednesday but I always wondered why he never played up front at school

Humphreys always played up top for greenhill on a Sunday and Sheffield boys on the Saturday. From age 11-15.

Used to play centre half with young owls and donny boys and he was always a handful mainly due to speed and size.

Judge for yourself.

This is brilliant but the commentator says "I don't think he will score many better than that"

How wrong could he be. David Hirst was the complete centre forward. The mind boggles at how much he would have been worth in todays market.

Agree, Hirsty had everything but if I remember correctly, he wasn't signed with a view to start in our first team. Although he was playing games for Barnsley, when he first signed for us, he played games for youth team. Our youth team, who then played in the Northern Intermediate league, had a forward line of Hirsty, Carl Bradshaw and Des Hazel, with Siggi Jonsson in midfield. Imagine players of that calibre in our academy line up now.

The injuries mounted up and from August 1993 to May 1995 he played just 25 games and scored five goals. After two more years at Hillsborough and the odd glimpses of form from Hirst, he was sold by manager David Pleat to Southampton after he had emerged fit once again returning to the Owls first team. His exit from the Owls came on 17 October 1997, when Southampton manager Dave Jones paid a club record £2million for his services. He made his debut the next day in a 1–0 home defeat by Blackburn Rovers in the league, and had a decent first season at The Dell, scoring nine times in 28 league games as the Saints finished 11th in the Premier League. Highlights of this season include scoring twice against Tottenham Hotspur in just his second appearance,[3] and scoring twice again as Southampton beat Liverpool at Anfield.[4] Hirst also scored the only goal as his side beat Leeds United 1-0 at Elland Road.[5]

Dave jones knows his onions.

Guest dunellaowl

Humphreys always played up top for greenhill on a Sunday and Sheffield boys on the Saturday. From age 11-15.

Used to play centre half with young owls and donny boys and he was always a handful mainly due to speed and size.

i played with ritchie at greenhill and dronfield, he was class we had the best side in the gt sports league, pete hollis was our manager! One player from us who never went on to fulfil his potential was a player called shaun hayes he was better than ritchie!

When hirst signed he was raw, but potential was all to see!