David Hirst - when he signed.

Guest clarky-1979

siggi jonsson was the next 'big thing' 

He ended up playing for us at Dundee United. Injury prone waste of a wage.

Guest scouser1

Didnt Man U bid around 4 million for hirsty,at the time it was fortunes, and not long afterwards thats when he started  with his injuries?

Didnt Man U bid around 4 million for hirsty,at the time it was fortunes, and not long afterwards thats when he started  with his injuries?

Yes, it would have been a record fee at the time.  I'm sure they also offered cash + Kanchelskis as well.

I remember being at his first match and everyone was talking about him being some wonder kid before kick off.

But in those days we could compete with most teams, except maybe Liverpool, for players.

Now we can't even attract the best players from league one.They'd raher go to Blackburn instead.

Humphreys always played up top for greenhill on a Sunday and Sheffield boys on the Saturday. From age 11-15.

Used to play centre half with young owls and donny boys and he was always a handful mainly due to speed and size.

If I'm correct then you will have also played with Richard Barker from about U13s - Christ was HE a handful!

Humpreys was ruined by being stuck at left back.

Don't get me started - I went to a few reserves back then when Waddle was in charge.   Waddle tried so hard to save Humpreys career with Wednesday you could see he was kicking every ball, making every tackle etc for him.    I've never seen a player with so much potential lose it so big style, he was no Hirsty, but that kid had an awful lot of talent he has never used since those first few games of that season when he played up front alongside Booth.

a number of wednesday players have been ' the next big thing' over the years...

and then failed to deliver...

thinking back, how many have gone on to be better players elsewhere, than they were here after a move?

I've always said that we can turn good players bad and when players leave they usually start playing well again.

Jim Magilton was always getting the Hillsborough tut but he was a good player when he came and was again when he left :)

I think Bartman was supposed to be the next big thing but although he went on to be a decent player I don't think he became the top class player we thought he might be.

i played with ritchie at greenhill and dronfield, he was class we had the best side in the gt sports league, pete hollis was our manager! One player from us who never went on to fulfil his potential was a player called shaun hayes he was better than ritchie!

When hirst signed he was raw, but potential was all to see!

Nah, Middlewood were miles better.

Greenhill usually came 4th or 5th.

Not quite true eightace. The reason wilkinson left was because he wasn't getting the financial backing. Can't remember us spending more than 450k on a player under him tho we nearly signed mark wright for 750 he ended up going to derby for 760k!

Garry Thomson was his record signing I think at 450k.

1st memory was him coming on as a sub when i was about 10

and a bloke nearby got reyt excited. may have been vs

southampton, feb 1988.

anyway he came on at 1-1, a total stalemate between 2 average sides.

he soon went on a mazy run, took a few on and set up the winner,

though he could have probably scored himself.

a young boy knew he was special straight away, thats how good he was.

Not quite true eightace. The reason wilkinson left was because he wasn't getting the financial backing. Can't remember us spending more than 450k on a player under him tho we nearly signed mark wright for 750 he ended up going to derby for 760k!

Well you know what I mean.

We could attract decent players and we were competitive with most teams.

There is no chance now of getting a player like Hirst.These days he would be at man utd or Chelsea.

Now its all about money.No one is interested about the history of a club or playing in front of large crowds.Players will play in front of 10k every week if it pays a grand a week more.

Our pulling power is really quite sad now.