David Hirst - when he signed.

Guest everydays_wednesday

siggi jonsson was the next 'big thing' 

oooo errrr matron  :ghoulguy:

would have been had it not been for a horror graham souness tackle !!!

Guest everydays_wednesday

I've always said that we can turn good players bad and when players leave they usually start playing well again.

Jim Magilton was always getting the Hillsborough tut but he was a good player when he came and was again when he left :)

I think Bartman was supposed to be the next big thing but although he went on to be a decent player I don't think he became the top class player we thought he might be.

had to sell Christopher Gerald Bart-Williams as it was £30 including the hyphen to have his name put on your shirt !

I've always said that we can turn good players bad and when players leave they usually start playing well again.

Jim Magilton was always getting the Hillsborough tut but he was a good player when he came and was again when he left :)

I think Bartman was supposed to be the next big thing but although he went on to be a decent player I don't think he became the top class player we thought he might be.

I remember the transfer being discussed on BBC Radio 5, when Magilton signed for us. The comment was, "he'd be a good player, if it weren't for his lack of pace and mobility". He had a bigger turning circle than the QE11, and was never anything more than average, whoever he played for. Things always look better than they actually were, in hindsight.

Guest scouser1

My memories not great but wasnt it hirsty the goalie aswell? seem to remember him going in goal against Man City and we won 1-0! or was that someone else?

If I'm correct then you will have also played with Richard Barker from about U13s - Christ was HE a handful!

Richard barker was my age 38(couple years older than humphries) he played at throstles/young owls and rother valley-Rotherham boys! Thing I remembered playing against him was how fast he was but became more of a target man as he got older

It wasn't uncommon for a centre forward to replace the keeper when injured, in the days before goal keeper subs were the norm. Bronco did too, probably because a CF would be the least missed in many ways. Also, injured players often were stuck up there for the nuisance value (Vic Mobley, Pete Johnson for instance). When subs were first used it had to be purely to replace an injured player and not for tactical reasons, though that was blatantly abused sometimes. Different game in those days and many players stayed on the pitch with bad injuries....Bert Trautmann of course continued in goal in a cup final with a broken neck!

My memories not great but wasnt it hirsty the goalie aswell? seem to remember him going in goal against Man City and we won 1-0! or was that someone else?

i played with ritchie at greenhill and dronfield, he was class we had the best side in the gt sports league, pete hollis was our manager! One player from us who never went on to fulfil his potential was a player called shaun hayes he was better than ritchie!

When hirst signed he was raw, but potential was all to see!

I went to school with shaun hayes, he was quality, had trials for the dingles at one point, defo could've made if he'd wanted to.

Did you play there when lee shaw was there, he was decent an all?

I remember the transfer being discussed on BBC Radio 5, when Magilton signed for us. The comment was, "he'd be a good player, if it weren't for his lack of pace and mobility". He had a bigger turning circle than the QE11, and was never anything more than average, whoever he played for. Things always look better than they actually were, in hindsight.

Hmm I always remember him being good for Southampton(used to see him a lot on sky) and I think he was well loved at Ipswich.

I'm sure he was a better player than we saw.

Guest Retfordowl74

Well here is my memories from a Barnsley Fan.

We'd heard about this kid in the reserves/youths for a bit, he was a man/boy like Rooney was to become years later. 17 and stong as on ox and as quick as Carl Lewis. When he debuted for us, I'd never seen a player of such potential, so strong quick, and most of all direct. He took the ball and decided to get it into the net in the least possible time. Blasters, taking everyone on, just Roy Of The Rovers football.

Saw him score every one of his league goals for us, Grimsby, Leeds etc et all and you did steal him for £250k.

Drinking and injuries robbed England harder.

He was the most exciting player I ever saw n the flesh (& I followed England watched Gazza etc)

Superb Player lads

Now roger off and get relegated! UTR!

I've watched Wednesday since the late 80's and he is still the most exciting player I've seen play for Wednesday and arguably the most of all.

So much potential. He should have been greater than shearer and not for injury and a few too many ales he would have been.

Great bloke as well, never forgot his roots. Like you say proper Roy of the rovers and sadly I fear we may never see his like again

Going to Hillsborough in the 90's was a treat, Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan..then Di Canio, Carbone etc.

A few years back i saw Hirst in a charity match bag a hat trick, his third goal, from kick off, he flicked it up and volleyed it, scored from the centre spot! I reckon if the net hadn't been there the ball would have still been travelling now.

Guest zipzippy

Took hirst a few months to get going- Everyone was slagging hirst off on some strange device called the Internet and demanding we replace hirst with john Pearson as JP was a wednesdayite and part of a cherished promotion season.