The 'We've Not Moved Forward' myth...

Guest Deleted member

Good point. Southampton for example have made some hefty wedge with the likes of Bale, Kenwyne Jones, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott and look how they have progressed with that injection. Our record is bleak on that score.

Exactly-  Jones raked in a load of money at Cardiff.  Ramsey, Roger Johnson, Chopra.  That money build the ground and kept them going, and laid the foundation for promotion.

Without those player sales in that sort of magnitude I don't think we can fund a proper tilt at promotion.

MM took over on the 14th December 2010. On the 18th December we played Exeter away - and in his first match as Chairman he watched us go down to a 5-1 defeat. Our line-up that day was;

0 Nicky Weaver

2 Tommy Spurr

4 Darren Purse

8 Tommy Miller

11 Jermaine Johnson

13 Mark Beevers

14 Darren Potter

15 Chris Sedgwick

19 Clinton Morrison

21 Gary Teale

26 Daniel Jones

The manager - of course - was Alan 'Ive done my coaching badges' Irvine. Milan paid £7m to the Co-Op Bank which wiped out debts of £23m. He paid the HMRC bill of £1.4m - which the club had been given 30 days to pay on the 17th November. We were playing in the 3rd tier.

Less than 3 years later we kicked off for our 2nd season back in the 2nd tier, and our line up was

• 01 Kirkland
  • 04 Gardner
  • 05 Zayatte
  • 19 Mattock (Maghoma - 37' )
  • 22 Palmer Booked
  • 11 J Johnson
  • 12 Prutton
  • 14 Coke
  • 34 Nuhiu
  • 07 Antonio
  • 17 Helan

The manager - Dave Jones.

Thats ON the pitch. Off the pitch - again - we've made quantum leaps forward, revenues are up, crowds are well up. We have a development squad and an Academy plan, the Community programme is one of the best in the whole country.

If MM does leave the club soon (and I personally think he will) he can hold his head up high, the ship has been steadied, the club is much more attractive to investment, and its clearly going forward at all levels.

STOP BLOODY MOANING - ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY.</p>

Should have sacked Irvine from day 1..Michael Morrisson, Madine, Reynolds, Reda (OKish).

Guest Deleted member

I thought he took over against Bristol Rovers?

No

he was there that day - in the Directors Box - but the deal wasn't approved until the 14th December - the next game being the game with Exeter on the 18th

On the pitch it's too early in the season to see if we've progressed

Off the pitch you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know things have improved massively

What the hell....? Now I've seen everything.

MM's biggest issue so far at SWFC - we never sell players for decent money.

People have gone on about Wigan's spending this summer but they have been a selling club for years - Baines, Valencia, the 3 that have gone to Everton this summer etc.  They pick em up cheap, polish them, flog on for a profit.  Their net spend is probably less than ours.  But, Brunt, Grant and Bougherra aside ,  we never sell players for decent money.

I still think MM appointed Jones due to his MASSIVE player transfer surplus achieved at Cardiff.  The model there was to bring in a mix of young un's to develop and sell for profit, and use some of the funds to pay big wages to tried and tested quality.  That must be the model they are trying to operate here but it lives and dies on selling our best players for decent money.  That, so far, hasn't happened.  Until it does I don't see us getting the budget to compete with the top 6.

To be fair, In addition to the frees - DJ had inherited some talent in Joe Ledley, Earnshaw,Cameron Jerome & Gunter or signed the likes of Chopra [who was bought for £600K and sold for £6.6M] & then sold them for £millions.

Guest chefwednesday

MM took over on the 14th December 2010. On the 18th December we played Exeter away - and in his first match as Chairman he watched us go down to a 5-1 defeat. Our line-up that day was;

0 Nicky Weaver
2 Tommy Spurr
4 Darren Purse
8 Tommy Miller
11 Jermaine Johnson
13 Mark Beevers
14 Darren Potter
15 Chris Sedgwick
19 Clinton Morrison
21 Gary Teale
26 Daniel Jones

The manager - of course - was Alan 'Ive done my coaching badges' Irvine.  Milan paid £7m to the Co-Op Bank which wiped out debts of £23m. He paid the HMRC bill of £1.4m - which the club had been given 30 days to pay on the 17th November.  We were playing in the 3rd tier.

Less than 3 years later we kicked off for our 2nd season back in the 2nd tier, and our line up was

• 01 Kirkland
  • 04 Gardner
  • 05 Zayatte
  • 19 Mattock (Maghoma - 37' )
  • 22 Palmer Booked
  • 11 J Johnson
  • 12 Prutton
  • 14 Coke
  • 34 Nuhiu
  • 07 Antonio
  • 17 Helan

The manager - Dave Jones.  

Thats ON the pitch.  Off the pitch - again - we've made quantum leaps forward, revenues are up, crowds are well up.  We have a development squad and an Academy plan, the Community programme is one of the best in the whole country.

If MM does leave the club soon (and I personally think he will) he can hold his head up high, the ship has been steadied, the club is much more attractive to investment, and its clearly going forward at all levels. 

STOP BLOODY MOANING - ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY.

Negged

Who said anything about building Rome? We're Sheffield Wednesday.

Edited by chefwednesday

When looking at our squad now, who could we sell for £1mil + ?

Antonio

Kirkland maybe?

Lets now imagine we have a reasonable first 6 months or even full season... who might be worth it then?

Antonio - maybe much more

Kirkland

Reda Johnson?

Buxton?

Maghoma? Again, potentially much more

Nuhiu?

McCabe?

Palmer?

Zayatte?

Suddenly we own a good set of young players worth a fair bit in the market.

Amazing what a bit of time and runaway imagination can conjure up at 10am in the morning