The 'We've Not Moved Forward' myth...

Guest Deleted member

Tip top and yet a few weeks ago you believed Madine was on £1m + a year oh dear

Think you've mixed me up with somebody else pal,

We'll always lose games. Everyone does - otherwise we'd be premiership, european and FA Cup winners from now until the end of time

He listed two teams in his op trying to show how we've moved forward yet that second side lost to a newly promoted league 1 team.

Get where I'm coming from?

MM took over on the 14th December 2010. On the 18th December we played Exeter away - and in his first match as Chairman he watched us go down to a 5-1 defeat. Our line-up that day was;

0 Nicky Weaver
2 Tommy Spurr
4 Darren Purse
8 Tommy Miller
11 Jermaine Johnson
13 Mark Beevers
14 Darren Potter
15 Chris Sedgwick
19 Clinton Morrison
21 Gary Teale
26 Daniel Jones

The manager - of course - was Alan 'Ive done my coaching badges' Irvine.  Milan paid £7m to the Co-Op Bank which wiped out debts of £23m. He paid the HMRC bill of £1.4m - which the club had been given 30 days to pay on the 17th November.  We were playing in the 3rd tier.

Less than 3 years later we kicked off for our 2nd season back in the 2nd tier, and our line up was

• 01 Kirkland
  • 04 Gardner
  • 05 Zayatte
  • 19 Mattock (Maghoma - 37' )
  • 22 Palmer Booked
  • 11 J Johnson
  • 12 Prutton
  • 14 Coke
  • 34 Nuhiu
  • 07 Antonio
  • 17 Helan

The manager - Dave Jones.  

Thats ON the pitch.  Off the pitch - again - we've made quantum leaps forward, revenues are up, crowds are well up.  We have a development squad and an Academy plan, the Community programme is one of the best in the whole country.

If MM does leave the club soon (and I personally think he will) he can hold his head up high, the ship has been steadied, the club is much more attractive to investment, and its clearly going forward at all levels. 

STOP BLOODY MOANING - ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY.

Excellent post Nigel.  You missed that we now also have a scouting organisation and network, more academy staff in relevant and appropriate positions, and a larger, appropriately staffed and better equiped medical department. 

Everything that MM has put in place won't neccesarilly have an effect in the short term but the long term effect will be tremendous.  The things that MM is doing are the things 'lesser' clubs like Wigan, Stoke and Bolton have been relying upon for years. 

Guest Distraught!

He listed two teams in his op trying to show how we've moved forward yet that second side lost to a newly promoted league 1 team.

Get where I'm coming from?

Yes, it's one of those things that happens in English cup competitions and has been suffered by every single club in English professional football at one time or another. To be honest, we've suffered more than our fair share but that does not make it a sign of standing still or regression.

Yes, it's one of those things that happens in English cup competitions and has been suffered by every single club in English professional football at one time or another. To be honest, we've suffered more than our fair share but that does not make it a sign of standing still or regression.

Just putting a point across, if we all agreed it'd be shitt

Guest Distraught!

You know the skit in monty python? The funniest joke in the world one?

Well I know what it is........

Council owls negative opnions on owlstalk

Aye, have you ever read the book or seen the movie 1984 by George Orwell. Room 101 is described as the worst place in the world where unspeakable things happen to people that don't agree with Big Brother. Can you imagine being strapped in a chair and forced to listen to Council Owl's moaning and whinging for hours on end? That would put the flipping thought criminals in their place! :biggrin:  :tango:

You know the skit in monty python? The funniest joke in the world one?

Well I know what it is........

Council owls negative opnions on owlstalk

Give me summat to be optimistic about sheffield Wednesday. The thing is we were a very good side in the early 90's, other than that we've been crap, we're not a good side and I'm thinking maybe a mid table bottom end championship side, too many on here settle for shitt.

Aye, have you ever read the book or seen the movie 1984 by George Orwell. Room 101 is described as the worst place in the world where unspeakable things happen to people that don't agree with Big Brother. Can you imagine being strapped in a chair and forced to listen to Council Owl's moaning and whinging for hours on end? That would put the flipping thought criminals in their place! :biggrin::tango:

Quality post pal, I mean it.

lol.

If we all agreed it would be shiit. If we all talked shiit then it would be shiiter.

lol

Guest Big Guns

On the pitch it's too early in the season to see if we've progressed

Off the pitch you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know things have improved massively

I completely agree that we have moved forward, but from where we were it's pretty difficult to go any lower in terms of the way the club was run and the playing staff. The thing is the majority of other football teams are constantly improving their playing squad and facilities (with a few exceptions of course). We as sheffiled Wednesday are improving year on year (potentially standing still to season though), however we are still way behind most the teams in the division. This isn't a complaint just stating my opinion.