Best Wednesday left back you've ever seen....

Ever seen or ever seen play ? Dad bought me a lemonade at the Sportsman Crosspool, be about the summer of 1957. My dad told me "This man is the best left back Wednesday ever had" as Ernest Blenkinsop stood in the doorway with him, he was then Landlord of the Sportsman.

The best I ever saw play was Megson senior, Don, Garrys dad. They certainly did n't come any toougher or tackle any harder. That 5-4 epic against Manchester United Don had a great 35 yarder chalked off at the Kop end as Johnny Fanthem had strayed a couple of inches offside...Should have been 6-4.

Totally agree, Megson senior was the consumate professional too. Rarely missed a game, never shirked a tackle and as reliable as they come, genuinely good captain too and could also hit a ball as hard as anyone I have ever seen. Built like the proverbial brick outhouse but not slow either and when I met him as a kid, a genuinely nice guy. Nev (quoted above) and I used to go to school just round the corner from where he and Pete Swan lived and he even joined in a kick around with us and young Garry and his brother in the road.

Edited by lesbarbeux

Guest Sniper1

Got to be Irish.

Its been abit of a problem position for a few years now, i thought John Hills was decent, then we had Heckingbottom, Gilbert, Spurr, Bennett and now

we have 4 who are all better than what we have had for a while, Reda, Mattock, Pugh and Helan.

Tommy Spurr all day. 

The way that he would majestically run down the line like a giraffe on ice was a sight to behold, oh and his fantastic ability to get beaten by every single player ever from a cross to the back post. 

Good lad though. 

Don megson...hard as flipping nails

Blenkinsop was way before my time. Kingy and Irish were great, love Reda too. But Davey is spot on. Don Megson everytime for me. Fast, hard but fair, consistent, uncompromising and a great leader and captain. A real legend.

Hinchcliffe was quality, had a great left foot shame he spent most of his time injured. Worthington was certainly the most effective. A few mentioned were before my time but most of the names are a real indicator of how poor we've been over recent years.