Best Wednesday left back you've ever seen....

i though ian bailey was a diamond we had found until he broke his leg, i think it was at bolton/burnley, i remember wednesday won 2-0 and it was just before the cup semi final v brighton in 1983. he never really recovered from it, which was a shame as i really rated him.

since then it's hard to call but i would put worthington just ahead of phil king. nobody since has come anywhere close.

It was Bolton, my 1st away match, remember the Bolton fans spitting on Ian Bailey as they carried him off on a stretcher, I was with a mate, his dad had took us in the car but his dad did'nt go to the match he parked up and  waited for us, on the way back to the car we were jumped by a few dozen Bolton fans, me and my mate were only 12/13, if it had'nt have been for an older Wednesday fan and his son god knows how we would have ended up,never thanked them either(So thanks if you're reading) Anyhow I got split up from my mate, I got back to the car and he was nowhere, me and his Dad did'nt leave Bolton till 10ish that night meanwhile my mate was sat at home, he'd managed to get away from the Bolton fans and sneaked on the ICO train..............ahhhhh happy days.... lol

oh yeah...... best LB ....got to be one foot, easily.

Edited by paddyowl

Nigel Worthington or "Irish" or "Clint" as our little kop clique used to call him because he always held his arms and hands as if he was about reach for his six shooters. Always appealed for every throw in even if he'd volleyed it into the stand and his "step overs" bemused him as much as his opponent.

He was however the team enforcer who exacted retribution for misdeeds extremely effectively: Who can forget his blind side elbowing of Bobby Davison who had just left a foot in on a colleague a couple of minutes earlier. Happy days!

rushberry was sensational in the epic marathon v arsenal 5 match cup replays, sadly for me didn,t do much after that, anyone remember where he went to ???

swansea -yep  he scored  in the 3-3  

i went to all 3 at filbert st leicester and seem to think grant played as well - did they not play left back and left mid in Irish & King style at times ?

Totally agree, Megson senior was the consumate professional too. Rarely missed a game, never shirked a tackle and as reliable as they come, genuinely good captain too and could also hit a ball as hard as anyone I have ever seen. Built like the proverbial brick outhouse but not slow either and when I met him as a kid, a genuinely nice guy. Nev (quoted above) and I used to go to school just round the corner from where he and Pete Swan lived and he even joined in a kick around with us and young Garry and his brother in the road.( Butler Road) Me too !

Guest ElderlyOwl

First post on Owlstalk ! ( had to join in after the John Fantham thread. The photo was in the Sunday Mirror, the game was Leicester City- I think 1961-2 and it was the first time I ever saw us lose. The heading of the double page photo was Phantom flyer, a double centre page spread, and I don't think he scored, but it was a play on the fan-th-am versus Fan-t-am pronunciation) Glad to get that off my chest! Best Left back had to be Don "the Tank" Megson for his leadership and example, but Irish was a rock of the same mould. My Dad hated Norman Curtis !

Guest cedtheowl

I was in a crowd of over 60,000 in January 1953 when  Wednesday lost 2-1 to Blackpool in the 3rd round of the F.A. Cup. Norman Curtis hardly allowed Stanley Matthews a kick that day.

We used to enjoy it  when he cut the winger off at the knees and then offer his hand to help him up. We called it Curtissy.

Best left back? Hugh Swift.