Jones can't be given another transfer window

This is not a knee jerk reaction, I've waited over a quarter of the season to say owt, and I really, really want DJ to prove me wrong, he's a positive manager and chopping for the sake of it does no good.

But ...

we can't afford to give DJ another trnasfer window. His recrutiment has been poor, it seems to me his only signing stratergy has been "oh he's available lets sign him" - I can see no other plan of what he's tried to do in terms of signings.

MM made the mistake of giving a suspect manager a January transfer window to spend big in. And the fact Alan Irvine wasted this money hamstrung gary megson during his time as manager. We can't afford to make the same mistake again.

Hope we go on a run and DJ turns it round by xmas, but if not can't see what choice MM has.

I wish the DJ huggers would simply put themselves in MM's shoes for a minute. You've witnessed your manager sign 15 players in the close season and we are looking increasingly like relegation fodder and many of these signings are nowhere near the 1st team. Then he comes to you in January for another wedge of cash to buy some MORE players. Honestly, what would YOU say?

Guest Sheff Owl

Well he said again today he has to get rid before he can bring in..

Surely there has to come a point where he will have to move out some of the crap that has already been brought in?

Surely he can't expect just to be able to move out players from last season?

Well he said again today he has to get rid before he can bring in..

Surely there has to come a point where he will have to move out some of the crap that has already been brought in?

Surely he can't expect just to be able to move out players from last season?

Who to and for how much??

Guest Sheff Owl

Who to and for how much??

Exactly...that is my point,

We have brought in crap but he will try and move out the players from last season first..and that won't be easy...

He will then have to look at moving out some of the crap that he has just brought in if he want's to get more players in and again that won't be easy.

Guest Wilf Marshall

MM isn't going to give him anymore cash.

It just hasn't worked with some of the players he has brought in.

Who is going to give us any decent money for those players?

Who could we even sell to generate cash?

Madine? Beevers? COG?

The players that really need shipping out that haven't performed aren't worth jack.

There was a thread recently asking why Huddersfield were doing so well when we weren't, in my opinion DJ has bought players with potential and gambles whereas Huddersfield have bought proven championship quality players.

Our gambles haven't paid off and our only championship quality players haven't been great.

I've defended DJ and a lot of his players but his interview today sounded like a man who had run out of ideas. And to be honest I think that's a shame as I really thought he was building something with some of the players in the development squad and his philosophy but this season has been so much of a let down do far.

Edited by PeteG_1984

Guest Wilf Marshall

He doesn't come across well in interviews.

Either he is slating players or saying things that are deluded.

Some of the players brought in have done nothing.

Outside of the circa £700k committed to Antonio (maybe not all up front), I wonder what the reaction on Owlstalk would have been this summer if we would have known that the manager was required to bring in a dozen players or more and was being given something like half a million quid with which to do it?

Not only that, but a considerable number of the resident experts were gushing about a lot of these signings that they are now dismissing as terrible. Anyone would think they were just blagging it.

Guest Wilf Marshall

He did a good job on paper bringing those players in.

It just hasn't worked for reasons that no one is entirely clear.

They just haven't gelled / performed, with a couple of exceptions.

So I agree that people criticising recruitment are off the mark somewhat.

The question now is whether DJ can turn it around.

If people think he can, then how is he going to go about that?

Milan needs to put his hand in his pocket in January if you ask me. With the money he had to spend, which was hardly anything except the Antonio money (and everyone wanted him) DJ has done wonders to get the quality he has in. Kirkland and Gardner were fantastic free transfers. Barkley is another superb signing. Mccabe and Corry look promising. He is trying to add a quality striker who would be a real coup for us (Wickham). Compare that to Laws' 'cream of the crop' signings, or Franny rumbleing Jeffers. Give the guy a break. It's not his fault he had to gamble on cheap deals. Some were always going to backfire.

To put DJ's 'poo ' signings into perspective, we spent less this summer on all our signings bar Antonio (Gardner, Kirkland, Lee, Mattock, Pecnik, Mccabe, Corry, Maguire, Mayor) than Laws did on Leon Clarke and Etienne Esajas combined, or on Franny rumbleing Jeffers (on his own!)

And compare the free transfers, would you take Gardner, Kirkland, Lee and Mattock, or 'cream of the crop' Tommy Miller and Darren Purse?

DJ has been given a similar amount of money to our previous managers. And his signings are so much better than the crap we have been served in the past. Kenny Lunt, Adam Proudlock, Ronnie Wallwork, Chris Marsden, Graham Kavanagh. flipping Kim Olsen and Ola Tidman........ I could go on.

Do Wednesday fans really have such short rumbleing memories? Do you not remember the poo we have been through? Are you all really this fickle? DJ is the hero who took us to promotion last season. Have some rumbleing gratitude. Have some rumbleing respect. The man deserves better than this.

Edited by robswfc

To put DJ's 'poo ' signings into perspective, we spent less this summer on all our signings bar Antonio (Gardner, Kirkland, Lee, Mattock, Pecnik, Mccabe, Corry, Maguire, Mayor) than Laws did on Leon Clarke and Etienne Esajas combined, or on Franny rumbleing Jeffers (on his own!)

And compare the free transfers, would you take Gardner, Kirkland, Lee and Mattock, or 'cream of the crop' Tommy Miller and Darren Purse?

DJ has been given a similar amount of money to our previous managers. And his signings are so much better than the crap we have been served in the past. Kenny Lunt, Adam Proudlock, Ronnie Wallwork, Chris Marsden, Graham Kavanagh. flipping Kim Olsen and Ola Tidman........ I could go on.

Do Wednesday fans really have such short rumbleing memories? Do you not remember the poo we have been through? Are you all really this fickle? DJ is the hero who took us to promotion last season. Have some rumbleing gratitude. Have some rumbleing respect. The man deserves better than this.

You're really arguing DJ has made good signings?

Antonio and Gardner aside everyone else is like for like at best and Antonio doesn't really count cos he's a Megson find.

We might not have spent a lot on transfers but we have signed 15+ players with the accompanying wages when the money could have been more wisely used on 3-4 decent players, Yes DJ had a good run last season ( with someone else's team ) but thats now gone and the reality is this season he's been found lacking in nearly every department.

Guest The Producer

Outside of the circa £700k committed to Antonio (maybe not all up front), I wonder what the reaction on Owlstalk would have been this summer if we would have known that the manager was required to bring in a dozen players or more and was being given something like half a million quid with which to do it?

Not only that, but a considerable number of the resident experts were gushing about a lot of these signings that they are now dismissing as terrible. Anyone would think they were just blagging it.

Bang on.

You can be sure MM has already decided his own cut-off point for DJ....but you really have to laugh at the fickleness of so many supporters on this site and the complete volte-face of so many of those residents experts.

I keep reading peoples comments about getting rid of DJ and that MM won't splash much more cash. The thing is though, if you get rid of DJ, who will we replace him with? Take a look at the list of (what I believe are) the currently available managers - http://www.leaguemanagers.com/. How many would be right for us, and us right for them? One, maybe two at the most.

The next question relates to the amount of cash MM is willing to spend on resolving this issue. What would DJs termination clause be, financially? What would the wages of a new manager be, in comparison to DJ? And how much money does MM have in mind to sort this out?

I am open-minded regarding DJ. Yes, it seems very apparent that he is not getting the right balance throughout the squad, be it tactics or player signings. But looking at who is available and what we currently have, would it not be better to stick with the "devil we know" and allow him one more transfer window to get it right? If you ignore everything that has happened since he became manager, how much better or worse is he, that what is currently available? Sometimes you have to give managers a chance to turn things around.

Don't get me wrong. I am as disappointed as the next person with how this season is going. I was hoping for a top 10 finish, which is still possible but highly improbable. Mid-table? Who knows, but that is a sensible guess and an achievable aim. But will getting rid of DJ really achieve any more or any less than this? I have no idea, but what I do know is that this club has been unstable for many years, and I believe that stability is what we need for the future. I am just glad I am not the person to make the decision, because I wouldn't know whether to stick or twist.