NOT TRUE - Bothroyd being paid £25k a week by SWFC

Guest Established

Guest zico sterland

Why do people keep saying hes one of our better players ? What is this based on ? Definitley not what hes done in an owls shirt,definitley not according to his stats whilst here.Must be because he is on silly money,doesnt contribute to the team,and cant get a game at QPR even though there second bottom.Do people watch the games when they go or just believe the hype ?

I do find it hilarious that some posters think you can't have a 'quality' player that actually works hard as well or that because they have 'quality' they should in some way be excused from working hard. The very best players in the world are the ones with natural ability that add it to work rate. Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Suarez etc. Great work ethic added to incredible natural ability.

KB's Owls stas:

2012/13 English League Championship

GAMES = 11 GOALS = 1 ASSISTS = 2 SHOTS = 13

http://soccernet.esp...othroyd?cc=5739

Great post Almat.

Any opinion/argument should be backed up with facts/evidence. I do think the fans that quote the clichés i.e. "he's quality" or "he's just languid" really are quite ignorant to the game. Probably the same fans that thought Jeffers was "quality" and the players around him weren't good enough. Clearly a ridiculous notion.

I will say that some players do "appear" languid. The best example of this for Wednesday was none other than Chris Waddle. However, that was his demeanour. He and other such players did the bread butter too i.e. tracking back and filling in even if it was without flying into tackles. I have seen several times in recent games Bothroyd been our most advance player when we are defending and one of our deepest players when we are attacking. Jones latest defence of him strikes of someone protesting too much.

Back to the facts. Here are some more re Bothroyd to go with Almats.

Games so far this season.

Without Bothroyd starting, PL8 W4 D1 L3 F14 A13.

With Bothroyd staring, PL11 W2 D2 L7 F12 A20

Work it out.

Guest Bedders

Whilst I am not a Solicitor, I work for a firm of Solicitors doing Conveyancing.

Retained skills there matey!!! Hence two months notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Bedders

Great post Almat.

Any opinion/argument should be backed up with facts/evidence. I do think the fans that quote the clichés i.e. "he's quality" or "he's just languid" really are quite ignorant to the game. Probably the same fans that thought Jeffers was "quality" and the players around him weren't good enough. Clearly a ridiculous notion.

I will say that some players do "appear" languid. The best example of this for Wednesday was none other than Chris Waddle. However, that was his demeanour. He and other such players did the bread butter too i.e. tracking back and filling in even if it was without flying into tackles. I have seen several times in recent games Bothroyd been our most advance player when we are defending and one of our deepest players when we are attacking. Jones latest defence of him strikes of someone protesting too much.

Back to the facts. Here are some more re Bothroyd to go with Almats.

Games so far this season.

Without Bothroyd starting, PL8 W4 D1 L3 F14 A13.

With Bothroyd staring, PL11 W2 D2 L7 F12 A20

Work it out.

Well put with some real statistics.....

On about languid looking players......in the Swfc v Sufc semi at Wembley......who played Uncle Albert on for their goal.......none other than Mr Waddle last man defending & trying to scoop it out of net!!! Not the best tackler but did try with his defensive irresponsibles!

Edited by Bedders

Why do people keep saying hes one of our better players ? What is this based on ? Definitley not what hes done in an owls shirt,definitley not according to his stats whilst here.Must be because he is on silly money,doesnt contribute to the team,and cant get a game at QPR even though there second bottom.Do people watch the games when they go or just believe the hype ?

Ditto Zico!

Now that's just not true is it?

I think it is.

Players like Semedo get talked about as heroes.

Players like Bothroyd, Clarke, potter, Sibon, brunt get dogs abuse.

I find it a bit perverse.

To have the courage to conquer the self so that one's talent can shine through is more heroic than just running around and showing willing.

One is more visible to people though.

It is a simplistic way of judging players.

The problem I have with it is, the ones who can win games become self conscious because of angry people on their back. There is no patience for talent or quality in this country. It has to be nurtured not vilified.

Thought as much, it would be out of character for Milan to pay full wages of that size.

I don't get the venom towards bothroyd. He's been dissapointing in terms of goals but he has been asked to play out wide by the manager who knows full well that he isn't a box to box player. His laid back style can frustrate some but he has been the same for every club whether he's doing well or not but he does have an ability that many in our team don't have. He is one of a few that can make a difference and that's why DJ picks him.

Even against Boro he did well to get a shot off from Antonios cross, granted he then ballooned two shots but at least he was willing to have a go. He's supposed to be lazy after all? He was at fault down the left for their first goal but he's not the only senior pro making mistakes.

He has his shortcomings as all players do and he'd probably admit that himself. I don't believe he is just here to pass the time because he does have a good relationship with DJ. nonetheless like Madine his body language and languid style will frustrate supporters when things aren't going well. Ideally we need to get someone on the left who can get up and down and then put Bothyroyd up front again.

Top post. Sure Bothroyd has been frustrating at times but along with Barkley he looks easily the most talented player in our team. Another player who gets slated because he doesnt run around like a headless chicken. It's the same reason why (at a much higher level) people slate Berbatov and Ibrahimovic.

Well put with some real statistics.....

On about languid looking players......in the Swfc v Sufc semi at Wembley......who played Uncle Albert on for their goal.......none other than Mr Waddle last man defending & trying to scoop it out of net!!! Not the best tackler but did try with his defensive irresponsibles!

Great example.

The negative affect of such "luxury" under performing players as Bothroyd is that is can cause resentment with other players and this can erode team spirit. I think the signs of that are starting to show.

Brunt has gone on to be an established Premiership player.

Sibon went on to play in the Champions League.

Bothroyd has represented England, contracted to a Premiership club and has cut in in this league before.

Clarke and Potter, however, have found their level - the lower leagues of English football when they are supposed to be in their 'prime' years.

To even mention these two in the same bracket as Bothrody, Sibon (both of whom I'm not/wasn't MASSIVE fan of) and Brunt, I find a bit perverse! lol

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

I do find it hilarious that some posters think you can't have a 'quality' player that actually works hard as well or that because they have 'quality' they should in some way be excused from working hard. The very best players in the world are the ones with natural ability that add it to work rate. Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Suarez etc. Great work ethic added to incredible natural ability.

KB's Owls stas:

Actually a bit worrying that he is only having one shot per game. Though I guess that that's what being a passenger on the wing does to you...

I was talking about player types. I know some were better than others.

I just think berating players for not doing the things otherplayers are doing is pointless negativity.

It is just scapegoating disguised as something else.

Players all have their own individual qualities.

I believe if you have a player with creative brilliance you should make the team work for him rather than the other way round. Find a way of getting the best out of their vision and creativity.

Some players are just water carriers and always will be. Others examples like Rooney do a bit of both but everyone cannot be the same.

Edited by Beholder

I think it is.

Players like Semedo get talked about as heroes.

I find it a bit perverse.

To have the courage to conquer the self so that one's talent can shine through is more heroic than just running around and showing willing.

One is more visible to people though.

It is a simplistic way of judging players.

The problem I have with it is, the ones who can win games become self conscious because of angry people on their back. There is no patience for talent or quality in this country. It has to be nurtured not vilified.

Again that's just a general point and not entirely untrue.

However, a knowledge of the game is then required to determine lazy under performing players ie Lunt, Jeffers, Potter, Bothroyd to the languid looking but ones who have the quality and do the basics more often than not ie Waddle, Sibon, Brunt.

I think using Brunt with Potter to make the SAME point makes it a flawed one although I take your general sentiment.

Great example.

The negative affect of such "luxury" under performing players as Bothroyd is that is can cause resentment with other players and this can erode team spirit. I think the signs of that are starting to show.

Where is your eveidence that Bothroyd is causing resentment amongst other players? It's a stupid assertion based on nothing. Bothroyd, whatever your views on him, is not the reason for our poor form.

Again that's just a general point and not entirely untrue.

However, a knowledge of the game is then required to determine lazy under performing players ie Lunt, Jeffers, Potter, Bothroyd to the languid looking but ones who have the quality and do the basics more often than not ie Waddle, Sibon, Brunt.

I think using Brunt with Potter to make the SAME point makes it a flawed one although I take your general sentiment.

I was talking about players who have had dogs abuse by fans.

There is a common denominator and that is the perception that they are not doing enough for the team whilst having more ability than those around them.

Edited by Beholder

KB's Owls stas:

edit

formating all crap

Edited by bigdan2003

Guest Bedders

People get fooked off because, despite the undoubted ability (which in many respects makes it worse) it is like playing with ten men every week...!

Yep!