The Championship Is Tougher Than We Thought

On reflection I have realised that the championship was a far bigger step up than we realised.

At the start of the season we were expecting to challenge; the pundits were predicting a relegation fight. Our over optimism stemmed from an influx of the best players we have seen in over a decade - compared to the scraps we signed previously in this league, these are excellent players. But, the pundits saw that these are ordinary players by championship standards.

So, we have no choice but to accept that the step up was big, and that we don't have the financial resources to challenge straight away; we have to build, year on year.

I don't like the way we are playing, but Dave Jones knows this league and is making do with what he has. We are not going to get a miracle worker if we sack him, so we might as well be patient.

It goes to show how well Brian Laws did before he lost the plot.

In some ways I agree with this and in others I don't.

The Championship is a tough league and it is tougher than we thought. But we've made mistakes that have made life harder for us than it needed to be. Huddersfield don't seem to be having too much of a problem with it. They were smarter than us, have built better than us and are settling quicker than us as a result.

I really don't think it's as tough as people think it is. I still hold the opinion that the top of league one and the bottom of the championship are very similar quality. That's to say, Charlton, us and the pigs last season would have given teams like barnsley, Coventry, and Portsmouth a good game without looking out of place at all. And that's without a full set of transfers to improve us.

On reflection I have realised that the championship was a far bigger step up than we realised.

At the start of the season we were expecting to challenge; the pundits were predicting a relegation fight. Our over optimism stemmed from an influx of the best players we have seen in over a decade - compared to the scraps we signed previously in this league, these are excellent players. But, the pundits saw that these are ordinary players by championship standards.

So, we have no choice but to accept that the step up was big, and that we don't have the financial resources to challenge straight away; we have to build, year on year.

I don't like the way we are playing, but Dave Jones knows this league and is making do with what he has. We are not going to get a miracle worker if we sack him, so we might as well be patient.

Absolutely spot on!

The championship has become premier league 2 and is on another planet to league 1! Look how much Huddersfield have had to invest to get up towards the top 6 at their first attempt.

We can't get automatic success cheap and no new manager will change us, we have to build to a position where our new good youngsters can make an impact for us in a few seasons time that is what DJ is doing look how we'll our u18/21s are doing, we have never had such a good crop of young players. I know patience is waring thin we are desperate for success after last 15 years or so but it won't happen this season!

But we have to survive this season I am sure Milan will ensure we do.

We are in a relegation battle people accept it and get behind the team! 4th bottom will be a success and then we can move forward!

Edited by shez owl

Blackpool are the best team I've personally seen so far and they weren't world beaters, think we've made life difficult for ourselves.

Agreed. Nobody has looked unbeatable or 'miles better' than us. Blackpool i the first 5-10 minutes especially looked like they were going to crumble. Middlesborough looked shakey every time we put any sort of pressure on!

Guest Foxhill Owl

Blackpool were the best team at hills this year , got there tactics spot on but we created chances . Are we not far away I don't know , are we 2 decent players away who knows .

It's hard , stupid mistakes are costing us big time , 1-1 I thought we looked good last night . Silly mistake from Llera then it all changed .

I think an experienced CM , Shaun Derry ?

DJ has to bring someone in next week because we have one hell of a fixture list coming up.

Guest JC Saviour

No, we have a team and manager not as good as we thought. Teams like Blackpool, Brighton, and Middlesborough are streets ahead compared to ours in relation to distribution, confidence, build up play and an understanding with one another. Our players are rushing in to make passes, there isn't any flow or consistancy to our play. Every game is becoming like 'men v boys'. We need a wise old head in this team to encourage, think for some of them and instill confidence. Its plain to see this isn't coming from the bench.

All DJ does is flap his sodding arms about. The play is predictable and all teams have to do is double up on Antonio then any goal threat is snuffed out. It is sodding boring to watch and non productive. Posters can say what they like, the tactics, standard of player and play isn't going to make it in this league. Bothroyds loan deal as tied up a lot of funds which could have been used for better equiped players, ones who are hungry and not a luxury we can ill afford. Maguire, Rodri, Lee, Mattock and there are a few others who are plainly out of their depth or Jones doesn't rate them. He brought them in, no one else as far as I am aware. At this present time, i think I would have Charlie flipping Carole managing, at least he might bring a bit of fun and enjoyment to the place. Don't think he could do any worse.

It is not working the Wednesday/Jones partnership. I don't know why but something as to improve dramatically for this relationship and the team to survive in this league.

Guest Triplej2

I think it's worth pointing out that we've just played an excellent footballing side in Blackpool and a true promotion contender in Middlesbrough.

We are in a mess I admit that but we did well against Leeds, dispatched Ipswich and Peterborough and had our chances in a few other games, even last night we could have had 3 in a poor performance.

We should have had a pen against Leeds and one against Blackpool and both of those games may have taken a different turn.

As DJ says, they're young and still adapting and I still think we can turn it around enough to be mid table as long as we add a few new faces.

The only thing I want to point out is, Corry played in the IP league and he has steped-up OK.

I think it's worth pointing out that we've just played an excellent footballing side in Blackpool and a true promotion contender in Middlesbrough.

We are in a mess I admit that but we did well against Leeds, dispatched Ipswich and Peterborough and had our chances in a few other games, even last night we could have had 3 in a poor performance.

We should have had a pen against Leeds and one against Blackpool and both of those games may have taken a different turn.

As DJ says, they're young and still adapting and I still think we can turn it around enough to be mid table as long as we add a few new faces.

not if there only as good as the last lot...

i don't think it is that much of a step up . were playing pretty much passionless and when we get scored against we don't look like we give that much of a cr@p whether we get on terms or not . last season we fought for everything apart from the odd gutless performance . this season toothless and gutless are the norm .

Guest alwaysaowl

after last night got to say Middlesbrough were class every time there pushed forward you just new something could come of it.for us we just go forward lose the ball or just give it away

Edited by alwaysaowl

Pre-season expectations are not being met, that's why there's so many people baying for Jones' head. Realistically I expected to finish in the bottom half with little fear of a relegation scrap.

Should've expected this level of competition in the league 2nd to the premiership. It's going to be a bumpy ride, but we won't go down. There's far worse teams than us with far less resources than us.

Wait until what the January window brings, the team will need to be strengthened, i'm hoping a new winger, competent centre back and a striker are on dave's list.

i don't think it is that much of a step up . were playing pretty much passionless and when we get scored against we don't look like we give that much of a cr@p whether we get on terms or not . last season we fought for everything apart from the odd gutless performance . this season toothless and gutless are the norm .

Yep.