Semedo mask donation, Memories of Dad.

I’ve been thinking about the reasons why I wanted to remain anonymous after my donation but it makes more sense to me now to tell the story.

Tomorrow marks the 5th anniversary of the death of my Dad and the donation for the Semedo masks was triggered by his memory. Many Owls were taken to their first football match by their fathers and have that match and experience embedded in their memories forever. It was rather unusual for me as it was me who took my Dad to his first football match (unfortunately for him it was the FA cup final replay of 93). Although Dad lived in a different city and didn’t go to many games after that he was a converted Owl thereafter.

I spent 3 years in Romania in the mid 90’s and the highlight of my week was heading down to the post depot to pick up a letter full of press cuttings and reports of the Wednesday game that took place two weeks earlier ( the Romanian postal system then was poo !), He did this every week for three years!!! I’ll never forget moments like those.

Dad loved a good laugh and was generous with things he was passionate about so when I heard about Gornaldo’s fantastic idea I thought it would be a great to chip in and make a few people smile. Its days like these that we will talk about for years and will go down in our history. I wanted to mark his anniversary with a gesture and the timing of this was perfect.

There are times for seriousness and there are times for senseless fun so after I’ve spent the afternoon grinning stupidly I’ll be taking my mask up to Dad on Loxley Common the day after the game and well have a good laugh about it.

Cheers,

Chris (Clud 17)

Guest Gornaldo

Lost my mum 5 years ago and thought of her yesterday, she would've definitely worn a mask!

Amazing gesture mate - like the others have said, choked me up that.