What would you rather have ?

You HAVE to vote for one of these (e.g. you can't add an additional scenario !)

Option 1 - playing 4-5-1 and scraping enough points to stay in the division, getting hammered every now and again and playing dull football but ending up safe

Option 2 - Playing 4-4-2 or 4-3-3- and really going for it, playing fast, attractive football and winning some games by loads, but getting hammered most games and getting relegated, going down in style and having had a mad but fun season playing brilliant exciting footy

AND

If you voted Option 1 - do you think the fans would be patient enough to see it as a long term thing and not call for the mangers head/abuse players on twitter etc ?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest totemowl

I'll vote for option 2 even tho it took us on a 9 match winless run, when all those goals against undermined confidence.

This also on account that option 1 isn't working too well against the better teams, including blackpool who we shoukd have bettered tonight even tho we were playing 4-5-1.

Not simple this voting lark tho. I might change my mind in a couple of weeks.

4-5-1 is 4-3-3 Neil. Did you not notice Antonio and Bothroyd up almost alongside COG for goal-kicks and stuff? Need to brush up on your tactical knowledge...

In answer to the question - it depends on where you 'have' to play Bothroyd...

IF bothroyd has to play, then i'd rather see 4-4-2 so that we can put him in his natural position up front. If we DON'T have to play Bothroyd, then i'd like to see 4-5-1 without him playing on the wing - perhaps playing him in his native position *shock horror*

Option 1 - playing 4-5-1 and scraping enough points to stay in the division, getting hammered every now and again and playing dull football but ending up safe

Option 2 - Playing 4-4-2 or 4-3-3- and really going for it, playing fast, attractive football and winning some games by loads, but getting hammered most games and getting relegated, going down in style and having had a mad but fun season playing brilliant exciting footy

AND

If you voted Option 1 - do you think the fans would be patient enough to see it as a long term thing and not call for the mangers head/abuse players on twitter etc ?

AND

Not really an accurate poll given that we were playing 4-4-2 winning as many as we were losing and certainly not getting hammered.

It's interesting that the early criticisms of Jones were that he was too set in his 4-4-2 way and now its that we don't play 4-4-2 at all.

Not really an accurate poll given that we were playing 4-4-2 winning as many as we were losing and certainly not getting hammered.

It's interesting that the early criticisms of Jones were that he was too set in his 4-4-2 way and now its that we don't play 4-4-2 at all.

Very good point about the 4-4-2 thing. Obviously DJ hasn't changed because of this kind of criticism, but it would be interesting to know where this reputation came from before his time here.

As far as I can see, he's playing this system because he realises Semedo is important in midfield, but doesn't offer enough in a 2 man centre mid to make it work offensively and so needs a third man there. I also tend to agree with this. I don't think Barkley and McCabe would offer anywhere near enough protection to the back four. 4-5-1 isn't a bad system on the face of it - but it doesn't look so good when you play a striker on your left wing who offers almost nothing in attack or defence.

Very good point about the 4-4-2 thing. Obviously DJ hasn't changed because of this kind of criticism, but it would be interesting to know where this reputation came from before his time here.

As far as I can see, he's playing this system because he realises Semedo is important in midfield, but doesn't offer enough in a 2 man centre mid to make it work offensively and so needs a third man there. I also tend to agree with this. I don't think Barkley and McCabe would offer anywhere near enough protection to the back four. 4-5-1 isn't a bad system on the face of it - but it doesn't look so good when you play a striker on your left wing who offers almost nothing in attack or defence.

I agree that Barkley and McCabe as a pair would leave us wide open but wouldn't mind a run of games with Semedo holding and Barkley going forward with Antonio and JJ out wide rather than Bothroyd who plays at his own pace and does not suit our current system at all, especially at home.

I agree that Barkley and McCabe as a pair would leave us wide open but wouldn't mind a run of games with Semedo holding and Barkley going forward with Antonio and JJ out wide rather than Bothroyd who plays at his own pace and does not suit our current system at all, especially at home.

I really worry that Bothroyd might actually have a clause in his loan that he has to play if fit. He was our worst player tonight, without a doubt in my mind. Compare him to Antonio as a winger and he offers nothing (understandable to an extend as that's not his position, but surely DJ would see that in training??). Defensively he doesn't even offer as much as Antonio either so what does he offer there? Why are we not trying him up front though? Cog didn't offer anything tonight (not through lack of trying of course) - further confirmation that he just doesn't work as the lone striker when playing at home.

Back on topic with the midfield and yes, that would be nice to see (at least as an effort) - especially at home where we are naturally expected to have more of the ball. Think Barkley could carry the attacking threat of our midfield alone without doubt - especially if that meant there was an additional striker!

Edited by townend_owl

Thats a "PP" POOR POLL

U really think we want to be relegated cos we play attractive football?

SURVIVAL is the key this year and probably next as well - no matter how we do it.

(Personally I'd go for 2-3-5 n scare the pants of 'em all lol)

AND

Option 1 Have a guaranteed shag off an ugly bird whenever you wanted?

Option 2 Actually achieve your fantasy **** with some top model or Hollywood actress but never get your end away again?

Real option: Get it when you can when the missus is up for it.