Dave Jones - Still the man?

DJ has cashed in the chips he won last season. The great run to automatic promotion bought him the time he has needed during the most recent winless sequence.

If we had sneaked up through the playoffs, promotion last season would have been attributed to Mega and Milan would have pulled the trigger 3 games ago.

3 points from the next two would be an achievement.

Francis brought in such quality as Waddle, Walker and Bright. He also brought in Warhurst and turned him into an England striker (although he got injured on his call up).

Don't forget we got to both cup finals under him in 93.

David Pleat was the man who broke up a good squad and started our demise. Don't forget Trev got the sack when we were 7th in the top flight.

I agree so Tricky Trev above Jones

But also Catterick, Atkinson, Wilkinson and Charlton all fair better than Jones.

But this does not make me anti Jones. He began well and we should support him. He has done well in this division previously. Could still turn out well.........may have to ship Bothroyd back out (he doesn't look like a striker to me).

DJ is the right man for me.

This season I think is about consolidating as a championship club with a new owner and vision for the club as a whole.

DJ has made a lot of changes but provided we stay up then next season players like McCabe, Madine, Antonio, etc will all have some solid grounding in the championship.

i believe we may then see some extra quality brought in after a seasons worth of extra revenue earned in the champ.

Fully trust both MM and DJ as a team to get it right.

Guest Wilf Marshall

Yes he is the right man. I don't even think that he made that many bad decisions like some people think on here. I can see why he made the decisions that he did.

Now the team is gelling and he is figuring out who can play at this level.

I think we can beat Blackpool and then suddenly we are looking at the playoffs and not relegation.

This really is a pretty good squad that he has assembled.

Guest wilyfox

DJ is beginning to prove me wrong - which i'm very pleased to see. just a short time ago we were shipping goals, playing poorly and losing game after game. in my mind, i thought he may be going. recent results have allayed a few fears; but we have only beaten bottom-three opposition - we need to humble some of the better teams to prove we're on the right track.

Guest JC Saviour

Jones? Great last season. Jury still out for me this season but will get my and judging by most reasoned fans views their backing too. Rightly so.

Top 3 managers in my lifetime? Atkinson, Wilkinson and Charlton.

Neil is bang on, Francis ruined a great squad. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

UTO! FTP!

No he didn't, Pleat did. By the way you are not far of the mark with the above 3 managers. DJ hasn't even been here a full season yet and how anyone can put him in the same frame as these 3or higher than at least one of them at the moment is beyond belief. We have just encountered a bad run which was worse than Megsons and look how he is ridiculed on here. However, fortunately the majority of Wednesdayites or don't go on this site will say differently about Megson.

I am still 100% behind the gaffer and think he's still the man to take us forward.

I'd be interested to know, after a mixed start to the season how many people still feel the same or have people lost faith after the recent poor run of results.

I personally believe he is building a good championship team, including some good young players, that are now starting to gel. I know us Owls want instant success but be patient. This league is a tough cookie to break but I firmly believe with Milan and DJ we will get it right.

The development squad is another big plus this season and Bully is doing a sterling job with the young boys coming through.

Yes, it's been a tough start but 'KEEP THE FAITH'.... Too many people look at the negatives when in the bigger picture there are a hell of a lot of positives. (Think back to where we were before MM took us on).

Onwards and Upwards. WTID

Agreed, lets keep the faith in DJ

No he didn't, Pleat did. By the way you are not far of the mark with the above 3 managers. DJ hasn't even been here a full season yet and how anyone can put him in the same frame as these 3or higher than at least one of them at the moment is beyond belief. We have just encountered a bad run which was worse than Megsons and look how he is ridiculed on here. However, fortunately the majority of Wednesdayites or don't go on this site will say differently about Megson.

Pleat had to deal with legacy Francis left.

After the 2 cup finals Francis was poor. Losing the likes of Warhurst for Sinton, Worthington for Nolan, Nilsson for Atherton, Pearson for Pearce, Palmer for Taylor. I could go on. He was fine when he tinkered/added to Big Rons squad and fair play bringing in Waddle, Brighty and Walker etc. However, when he dismantled that squad and he built his own we all say what happened.

Francis last full season we finished 15th.

Pleats last full season we finished 7th. Our highest league position since.

Edited by OasisOwl72

Im not saying it because of promotion

Im saying it because he is totally 100% right for Wednesday, capable, knowledgable, and has everything a legendary SWFC manager should have

He is rebuilding our club from top to bottom too

The unbeaten run was a good indication of whats to come once players have settled and we have decided on a formation

first time i've ever agreed with you

Pleat had to deal with legacy Francis left.

After the 2 cup finals Francis was poor. Losing the likes of Warhurst for Sinton, Worthington for Nolan, Nilsson for Atherton, Pearson for Pearce, Palmer for Taylor. I could go on. He was fine when he tinkered/added to Big Rons squad and fair play bringing in Waddle, Brighty and Walker etc. However, when he dismantled that squad and he built his own we all say what happened.

Francis last full season we finished 15th.

Pleats last full season we finished 7th. Our highest league position since.

as much as i liked atkinson, i don't think he would have done better than francis with his team. lets not forget that this was still the same team that atkinson got us relegated with.

Wednesday fans who praise Francis show themselves up as knowing sweet fa about football. He inherited an entertaining, footballing team and after spending a lot of cash, we were left with a hopeless, boring team with no coherent style of play that spent most of the season near the bottom with no hope of success, even if they had a late run to 7th. After a couple of great additions in Waddle, Warhurst and Bart - Williams, when the rebuilding was required, his lack of man management skills and tendency to pick honest tryers like Hyde, Atherton and co left us woefully short of the class and flair required at the highest level. There was also that crazy time when he kept signing central midfielders including noclass Ingesson - we had replacements for Palmer and Sheridan in Ian Taylor and Bart Williams but we let them go onto decent premiership careers and were left with a hopeless central midfield for years, until Glen Whelan showed up! Also, always talked about how good the opposition were like Klinsmann which must have made our players feel 2 foot tall. Absolutely criminal that we gave Francis, Pleat and Wilson so much money to blow when Charlton, Wilkinson and Atkinson had relatively little. If only, especially Wilko, he'd have won the title for us and not Leeds.

DJ is beginning to prove me wrong - which i'm very pleased to see. just a short time ago we were shipping goals, playing poorly and losing game after game. in my mind, i thought he may be going. recent results have allayed a few fears; but we have only beaten bottom-three opposition - we need to humble some of the better teams to prove we're on the right track.

Ditto. He's definitely started to turn it around and that's to his great credit imo. The awful run has still put added pressure on our season, though. Looking at his career record, we will probably go on a great run now because that's what DJ's teams do - awful run followed by a great run, rinse and repeat. No middle ground.

Edited by Almat

Wednesday fans who praise Francis show themselves up as knowing sweet fa about football. He inherited an entertaining, footballing team and after spending a lot of cash, we were left with a hopeless, boring team with no coherent style of play that spent most of the season near the bottom with no hope of success, even if they had a late run to 7th. After a couple of great additions in Waddle, Warhurst and Bart - Williams, when the rebuilding was required, his lack of man management skills and tendency to pick honest tryers like Hyde, Atherton and co left us woefully short of the class and flair required at the highest level. There was also that crazy time when he kept signing central midfielders including noclass Ingesson - we had replacements for Palmer and Sheridan in Ian Taylor and Bart Williams but we let them go onto decent premiership careers and were left with a hopeless central midfield for years, until Glen Whelan showed up! Also, always talked about how good the opposition were like Klinsmann which must have made our players feel 2 foot tall. Absolutely criminal that we gave Francis, Pleat and Wilson so much money to blow when Charlton, Wilkinson and Atkinson had relatively little. If only, especially Wilko, he'd have won the title for us and not Leeds.

garbage .....

Francis ruined the football team he inherited

Correct.

Just missed the Harry Catterick years but the only three managers I have rated really highly are Big Ron, Big Jack and Sturrock.

There are still question marks over DJ as some of the signings are not up to scratch and sometimes its easy to criticise the tactics. Its great winning the last two matches however the big tests are still to come starting with Middlesboro. In the meantime lets all back the manager and pull together as one.

dont see what else francis could have done with the players he inherited from atkinson ........nilsson left for personal reasons ,worthington ,palmer went to leeds for better wages than richards would give them ,anderson and wilson left to go into management ,williams was replaced by bright who was a better player , harkes left for the same reason as irish and palmer (money). turner shirtliff ,madden ,mccall ,mackenzie were past there best and non of them played top -fight football after they left us .he probably made an error with replacing pearson with pearce though .