Why have we stopped playing JJ?

Bothroyd has far more ability than JJ and isn't limited to 4/5 decent games a season like JJ.

Not from what I've seen. Apart from a few nice touches in the Leeds match, he's been tripe in my opinion. Far too many people are suckered in by reputation, a big car and a 'wacky' haircut. The bloke man have ability, but we've not seen it. What we have seen is a centre forward having no efforts on goal, no impact on the game and a a poor work ethic.

OP, You're old man said JJ bought the ball forward a few times, fair enough, did he also mention that he lost the ball on every occasion allowing Peterborough to attack?

He's a poor/mediocre player at best, Bothroyd is a genuinely quality player, admittedly Bothroyd did not have his best game today, but any talk of playing JJ over him is rubbish.

JJ will be a bit part player this year, and next year, its finally time to move on and sign some real quality.

I really don't get the JJ situation. Has been a brilliant signing, and scored some great goals. Final ball may be lacking at times, but his effort can't be doubted. Even played right back this season and did a job. I may miss the point re 'ability' but if he doesn't offer more to the side than Bothroyd, then I'm a chinaman.

Totally agree with this, the guy can totally change games in our favour, we looked lack lustre for most of todays game. When we went a goal up we should have been looking to bury Peterborough, instead we went back into our shell, should have got him on earlier and finished Posh off.

Not from what I've seen. Apart from a few nice touches in the Leeds match, he's been tripe in my opinion. Far too many people are suckered in by reputation, a big car and a 'wacky' haircut. The bloke man have ability, but we've not seen it. What we have seen is a centre forward having no efforts on goal, no impact on the game and a a poor work ethic.

Played well against Hull, played well at Burnley, played well and was MOM against Leeds and since he's come into the side and he's started taking our set pieces, we've looked far more dangerous in dead ball situations.

Early on in his Wednesday career you could see although he clearly wasn't match fit, he did have quality and over the last month since his fitness has returned he's been one of our most dangerous players.

He's a real class act.

Guest totemowl

Some good points are coming out on here. Bothroyd is our best corner / free kick taker and adds important experience where we have none in midfield and up front. JJ is a good outlet but liable to lose the ball, leaving us vulnerable. The realist has nothing to offer apart from bad spelling and poo.

Played well against Hull, played well at Burnley, played well and was MOM against Leeds and since he's come into the side and he's started taking our set pieces, we've looked far more dangerous in dead ball situations.

Early on in his Wednesday career you could see although he clearly wasn't match fit, he did have quality and over the last month since his fitness has returned he's been one of our most dangerous players.

He's a real class act.

Class act? Not in my opinion. And obviously not in bottom of the tables QPR's, as they've shipped him out here. Might have been a great players, might be a really nice lad, but anyone thinking he's been a good loan signing for us is deluded.

Our best players today were Buxton, Liera and Semedo, all free transfers, probably on far less than Bothroyd. I try and see through reputations and names, and look at performances.

Anyone who thinks that Bothroyd should be playing ahead of JJ in a wide role in our current system really needs to watch him carefully.

The way Wednesday play, O'Grady is almost a False-9 albeit in a traditional English mould. His purpose is to start as the further man forward, move deeper while drawing defenders up the pitch with him, in order to leave gaps for deeper players to run in to and exploit. Antonio performs this role excellently from a wide position, depsite his decision making and finishing sometimes being a little wayward. Barkley sometimes makes this run in a more central position, as evidenced by the goal today.

The problem is that Bothroyd just does not exploit this space at all. Rather than running beyond O'Grady, his movement is utterly baffling, either moving sideways into a similar space occupied by O'Grady, or moving diagonally backwards. This causes problems in the attacking third, when the side of the pitch that Bothroyd is supposed to be operating on becomes dead-space, and the only outlets are either centrally, or (most commonly) down the wing in which Antonio is operating. The effect is that our attacks are clustered in a narrow area in the oppositions third, with less space as the defence is having to cover a smaller area of the pitch. It makes it easier for Antonio and O'Grady to be doubled up on.

JJ, while a bit of a maverick, would make the runs that would stretch the oppositions back line across the width of the pitch, and would stop us from being so narrow and easy to defend against in open play.

The first half summed it up, in that we created almost nothing from open play. Getting an early goal in the second half forced Peterborough to open up more - had we not scored it could have been a frustrating afternoon against a poor team who were there for the taking.

If we have to play Bothroyd, as his loan probably suggests, then I think he has to play up front.

I love COG, but playing at home I don't think he's the right way to go - he offers great hold up play but very little up front and Bothroyd is a top quality striker playing on the wing (and offering very little there)

Guest Deleted member

Great return, agreed. Better than the previous 1 from 24. Jones is a good manager, I wouldn't sack him, but he hasn't half got out of jail by playing 2 garbage sides in the last days.

Bless him

Vulvas gutted weve started winning

Edited by Deleted member