Sheffield Wednesday.... 'Did you know' ?

Post one sentence facts about Sheffield Wednesday that people might not be aware of/know or interesting stats

e.g. "Did you know Sheffield Wednesday are the only team to have won away on a Thursday night in Europe"

ps they can't be made up like that one...

(unless that one was actually true in which case I've just done a reyt coincidence)

Owlstalk Shop

We were the first team to play with a leather football...

And also scored firsts for playing with balls made of velvet (1892), gas (1926, during the General Strike), suet (1947 during Post-War rationing) and a disastrous experiment with pork (1973, alienating the Jewish fanbase and cited as a potential cause for the Yom Kippur War later that year).

And also scored firsts for playing with balls made of velvet (1892), gas (1926, during the General Strike), suet (1947 during Post-War rationing) and a disastrous experiment with pork (1973, alienating the Jewish fanbase and cited as a potential cause for the Yom Kippur War later that year).

Indeed...I was waiting for Kivo to mention those.

During the 1934-35 season...during the depression, because all the grass was eaten by hungry Wednesday fans, we used to play on gravel.

Edited by Freshfish

Indeed...I was waiting for Kivo to mention those.

During the 1934-35 season...during the depression, because all the grass was eaten by hungry Wednesday fans, we used to play on gravel.

Indeed, which set us up nicely for Cup glory in what has become known as the 'White Dolomite Final'.

Guest totemowl

In 1991-2, with Kevin Pressman in goal, Roland Nilsson played in all 10 outfield positions for Sheffield Wednesday. This continued for 9 consecutive games until Kevin missed a game through injury.