Madine for COG

It will stick upfront better with cog, whether that translates to more goals or just better possession is debatable

My main issue with him last season was he would dwell too long in possession.

It is vital that other players get beyond him or get into the box aswell. Otherwise we won't create chances.

You been to any games this season ?

The ball doesn't stick to madine.

The ball sticks to COG like fly paper.

And I'm not one of these that bums COG all of a sudden. It's just fact.

Thread over

How is that a fact? Have you re-watched all of this seasons games and catalogued the number of times each has/hasn't held the ball up to prove it? I'd be interested to know your findings if you have. ;-)

I don't get the sudden Madine bashing. I hear it on the Kop around me. He's younger than CoG, scores more goals, has a much better first touch and lay-off. All he needs is a run of games and decent service.

The benefit of playing CoG is his physicality and workrate. He can bully a defence into mistakes. It isn't his hold-up play. When it DOES stick he's good at shielding the ball, but it definitely doesn't stick every time, far from it!

No it doesn't stick every time and it was interesting to see how many times our passing moves broke down with him on Friday. Having said that, he is the best man we have for the job but if we want to take advantage of our clever players in midfield, then I'm afraid we'll have to bring someone in.

COG is better in that role at present, that's just a fact.

What worries me is the lack of chances created against Leeds vs the quality of our play / possession. I know it's a 'derby' game, but it's one of very few positive performances recently we have to go on.

COG will work wonders in that role if the wide players are going to get ahead of him on a more regular basis into not just wide positions but striking positions. When COG wins the ball he needs to rely on the wide players to replace him as the striker(s).

This is the fundamental weakness with 4-5-1 though (unless you're a world class team who's wingers are as good as forwards as they are wingers). IF it isn't working, you have to replace the single striker and the whole dynamic of the system changes which takes 5-10 minutes or more to settle again (players are used to knocking it into COG for 60 minutes and suddenly, it's not sticking any more).

Edited by townend_owl

I think COG did very well so far this season, but it is true that his first touch aint good enough for a striker playing alone for big part of a game. I think there is no harm in trying something differenta, and giving a chance to finally fit again Gary Madine.

COG really has surprised me so far he's more than capable in this league. However it is frustrating as he is only good with his back to goal, he doesn't want the ball in behind to run on to skip past a player and finish, he will run on to it turn and lay it back or hold the play up which is fine, if he has a strike partner. Where as Madine has that quality and I do think we would get more goals playing him

I've been to every game. COG's first touch is shocking. He is ok playing 442 but on his own he offers little. How many shots on target has he had playing up front on his own ? Madine has hardly had a chance - when he did we played our best football against the Brummies

Actually Madine played the last 30mins which we lost 2-1. We were 2-0 up when O'Grady was subbed.

Madine may have potential but it's one thing to do it in League 1 when everyone loves you and you are number 1 striker in the team.

To do it when you are no longer number 1 and you are playing a higher standard, you have to grasp the chances you get to impress.

Madine hasn't done this though its not been through lack of effort.

He's just got to reprove himself but at the moment O'Grady has earned top spot.

Edited by sharrowowl

Guest Ozzieowlpelvicthrust

If DJ is going to stick with 451 surely Madine would be a better option to play the lone role, he can hold up play better and has a better first touch. He also wins a lot of free kicks wich we are dangerous from. Don't get me wrong COG is a decent player but Madine is the better option.

Have to say your argument is totally baffling. To say Madine can hold the ball up better than O'Grady is nonsense. Madine hates playing with his back to goal and is not really a link man as his first touch is generally poor and doesn't have the strength of O'Grady to hold defenders off. Now if you had said Madine was a better goalscorer / more prolific then you may have had a case. His time will come but we need to change the system to accomodate him.