Two players who would get us out of this mess...

Guest JonTheOwl66

Palmer and Soltvedt star in great escape

By Keith Farnsworth

5:57PM BST 15 Apr 2001

Sheffield Wednesday (3) 4 Crystal Palace (1) 1

WEDNESDAY'S seventh win in 11 games under caretaker manager Peter Shreeves leaves them a whisker away from securing their First Division status and completing a salvage operation some saw as a "mission impossible" two months ago.

However, if Shreeves deserves most of the credit for masterminding a remarkable upturn in Wednesday's fortunes, he insists the real heroes of the revival are Carlton Palmer and Trond Soltvedt - a duo he signed and charged with the task of restoring the pride and commitment so badly lacking before their arrival.

"Their influence has been the crucial factor," he said. "They're terrific in the dressing room, a delight to work with in training, and they have the knowledge, experience and positive attitude - the guts and tenacity - so vital on the field.

I knew what to expect from Carlton when I brought him in on loan because he has the fire and passion to lift his colleagues, and, when I signed Trond from Southampton, Glenn Hoddle said I was getting a gem, which is how it's turned out."

Significantly, Palmer excelled in a defensive role on a day when his absence from midfield might have been costly had Palace profited from their frequently greater possession, while Soltvedt contributed to two goals in five minutes from Efan Ekoku and Gilles De Bilde that put Wednesday in front after the shock of trailing to Clint Morrison's second-minute strike.

The turning point came on 38 minutes with Palace's seventh penalty miss of the season when Kevin Pressman saved Dean Austin's spot-kick. Seven minutes later Gerald Sibon made it 3-1, and Wednesday sealed a success that lifts them six points above the drop zone when Stuart Ripley headed his first goal since arriving on loan from Southampton.

Nobody seems to have taken on board Palmer's example more than De Bilde and Sibon. The Belgian, finally winning back fans so critical of his attitude in early season, shot his third goal in four games and had a hand in Ekoku's, while Sibon confirmed his renewed commitment by contributing to two goals as well as claiming his own 13th of the season.

Shreeves added: "We're not safe yet, and it's still `mission almost accomplished', but some of our rivals in the battle against relegation would like to be where we are."