Team Spirit

Has this just disappeared? The pride and belief that gary megson instilled in every team he put out seems to have vanished. Only Antonio of the 11 that started yesterday was part of the group of players that won promotion in front of 38,000 of us last season on that fantastic final day. In my opinion the players brought in may be individually superior on paper to the players we had last season but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and the promotion team last season fought for each other and showed more passion than Jones's replacements.

At the moment this seems to be the case.

The fact we keep losing isn't probably helping the fostering of a good team spirit.

One thing that struck me about the goal yesterday (ours), is that only three of our players went to join Barkley in his celebration - the others just walked off back to the halfway line.

Probably looking too much into things, but I couldn't help but feel that last seasons lot would have all been piling in on the celebration and geeing up the crowd.

I know there is no sentiment in football and that you have to constantly be looking to improve your squad and you obviously do that by recruiting new and betters players.

However, we have obliterated a winning side and I couldn't believe the fact that the team we put out - bar Antonio (Jones doesn't count) - was completely different to the one that beat Wycombe on the the final day.

Obviously some of those changes were imposed through injury, but it was still striking.

The whole of last season we built up this spirit between the players and the fans, it took ages and by the end of the season when DJ came in it was that strong that it got us over the line. We NEEDED to keep some of that spirit, it was vital for this season but we haven't trusted the players, instead we look mis matched, lost and lacking creativity or understanding. At least when fit, Reda, Buxton and Lines should be in with a chance.

We looked devoid of any team spirit or cohesion yesterday, as we did against Huddersfield.

I think if we looked at utilising the morale system of Football Manager I reckon the majority of the team would have "Very poor" or "Abysmal" morale.

Worrying indeed.

:unsure:

Guest MrsGoggins

The team spirit of last season is clearly not there, DJ has to accept that this is his doing. I'm not a manager but I would have given the majority of the side that won promotion 10-15 games this season only changing players that are clearly not good enough. This would have kept the bond between the players and allowed new ones to develop into the team. what we have now is a mess and will take some sorting because many of the new signings are no better or worse than what we had, the squad is far to big and lacks quality in key positions, I'd rather watch last seasons players giving 100% for each other.

Has this just disappeared? The pride and belief that gary megson instilled in every team he put out seems to have vanished. Only Antonio of the 11 that started yesterday was part of the group of players that won promotion in front of 38,000 of us last season on that fantastic final day. In my opinion the players brought in may be individually superior on paper to the players we had last season but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and the promotion team last season fought for each other and showed more passion than Jones's replacements.

I agree, we now have the team hug at the start of the game, it was there yesterday and before Huddersfield. Not much more solidarity after that though. The togetherness between us all is not what it was. Would love to know what was said in the pre start hug as well. Any suggestions?

The spirit has totally gone, with all these new players going straight in to the side it just miffs off the players who are dislodgded even when they are playing well.

Last season when we losing in the dying minutes I believed that we could pull the result back, yesterday with 15 minutes left I knew we had lost.

DJ needs to think long and hard as to what he has done wrong. We can all see it, he needs to swallow his pride and get back the backbone of last seasons side back on the pitch.

Guest totemowl

The whole of last season we built up this spirit between the players and the fans, it took ages and by the end of the season when DJ came in it was that strong that it got us over the line. We NEEDED to keep some of that spirit, it was vital for this season but we haven't trusted the players, instead we look mis matched, lost and lacking creativity or understanding. At least when fit, Reda, Buxton and Lines should be in with a chance.

The whole of last season..????

In reality this might have happened during the last third but there was plenty of division and derision before then. Remember what happened after episodes such as Stevenage and Chesterfield. similar debates about players being unhappy and treated unfairly then.

I too look back on last season with rose tinted glasses but it was not as smooth a relationship as you're now making out.

We're finding our feet in a new division. Once we start performing things will improve, just like last season. If the team have built the same support and spirit by the final third it could be magic.

As for this crap about divisions in the camp...

I would much rather have paid £100 of my hard earned cash for me and the Mrs to watch last seasons heros get beaten in the last two games than this shower of poo pooe that Jones has brought in. flippingrose tinted glasses about last season or not!

Guest marco_ward2000

We are missing Batth so badly, the partnership he built up with Llera was immense. Gardner looked ok yesterday but Taylor......... Speechless! I think the squad has been disrupted by the MASSIVE overhaul, which was bound to happen. Will we get that team spirit back, well only time will tell. I agree with others in that, I would play more players from the promotion team and integrate the new players. But hey ho, what the feck do I know? A few of the new lads look a bit dodgy but given time, hopefully they can prove us wrong. I don't think that booing players off the pitch will help matters though! UTO

Guest foreverSWFC

Did we look like scoring in the last 10 minutes? Last season there was a never say die attitude and i always fancied us to grab a goal late on, we were that sort of side.

Yesterday i just knew with 10 mins to go we weren't going to get back into the game. There was just no belief or urngency. Now i know Bolton were a quality side and it going to be hard to break them down, but i think we could have given it a better go when we went 2-1 down. The players seeemed deflated and that negative attitude transferred to the fans, it was a poor atmosphere, everyone seemed to accept that the game was over even though we had time to get back into the game.

That wouldn't have happened last season, we had fight and spirit, it's wrong for me to judge this on one game but something was definitely missing yesterday and it is worrying.

I also remember one of the players (JJ? Semedo?) lying on the ground with his head in his hands when we conceded the second.

Seemed a bit desperate, like they knew that we'd blown it and weren't going to get another chance.

Shows that they cared, though.

I also remember one of the players (JJ? Semedo?) lying on the ground with his head in his hands when we conceded the second.

Seemed a bit desperate, like they knew that we'd blown it and weren't going to get another chance.

Shows that they cared, though.

Exactly...

Whether it was JJ or Semedo they were here last season. The new players just don't get it, they weren't here to see Hillsborough bouncing on a regular basis last season. They don't understand the Passion of the fans and what it should mean to play for our club.

Guest foreverSWFC

Exactly...

Whether it was JJ or Semedo they were here last season. The new players just don't get it, they weren't here to see Hillsborough bouncing on a regular basis last season. They don't understand the Passion of the fans and what it should mean to play for our club.

I agree to an extent, but it will mean someting to them, they are professional footballers and most professional sportsmen hate losing, fact.

Pecnik was devastated at the final whistle. What the main concern is the lack of togetherness and unity on the pitch, whilst we are playing, certain individuals seem to be on different wavelengths and don't know what the other is going to do. There is no cohesion or understanding between players. That shouldn't be a problem in late september, the team should be gelled by now, we don't even know who should be taking corner ffs.

Guest Sheff Owl

Antonio is the only player that started yesterday that played against Wycombe, how could you blame some players if they started to get pissed off??

Last season the players put so much effort, blood, sweat and tears into getting us promoted and looking at it yesterday only ONE of them started that game, seriously how is that right?

I know we need to improve but flip me we have just gone to a major extreme and ripped all the heart and soul out of the squad.

I travelled down with the Scottish Owls yesterday. The last game I went to was the last game of the season (apart from Kilmarnock) and I was really shocked at how different the atmosphere, team spirit, organisation and the line up was in comparison. I was so disappointed, not so much with the result as I though it would be a tough one but at how disjointed, un-urgent and passionless we looked. I also noticed how Antonio was the only remaining player. I think DJ has made a major wee wee tail up and destroyed the backbone and spirit of a great team. Maybe slightly rose tinted but Megson did a great job in turning round the terrible mentally that has haunted Sheffield Wednesday for years. The fear of playing at Hillsborough, the right to play in the shirt, scapegoats etc. We had successfully turned Wednesday into a team where you had to work and earn for a place in the shirt, Hillsborough was once a again a fortress. Yesterday I felt we had taken massive steps backwards into the dark days and that winning, team work mentally looked like it had all but gone. DJ did a good job continuing Megson's good work and finished the job but now I feel DJ is responsible for destroying it also. I am a fan of both Megson and DJ and I am not suggesting that Jones should be fired or anything but he now has a big job on his hands to correct his errors if he can at all.

New signings had to be made following promotion that is a given but it's all about the way they have been introduced to the team. Maybe also how many we have signed has been a big error also. I think if DJ had signed a select few quality signings and then introduced them to the team as subs or when last years players played badly and in turn lost their place, we wouldn't have destroyed the team morale. Now all the players who earned there places and achieved their spot in the team have lost their place to new players who are performing pretty badly sending out bad signals and coursing divisions. I am not saying the old team would of won every game and I'm sure a few may of struggled but DJ should have followed a natural progression on introducing new team members. I'm not even blaming the new players, as they have been put in this bad position. I think the manager has to take the blame for this, swallow his pride and correct the mistakes he has made. I hope he succeeds but I get the feeling this is not going to happen and DJ will continue with what he is currently doing and seal his own fate :(

Edited by English Man

Some great posts in here, we pretty much all agree on what the problem has been caused by.

We can all take losing to superior sides if we give our all and fight to the end and give it a go.

There was none of that yesterday, like others I could never see us getting back into it with 10-15 mins to go.

Bolton weren't even that impressive imo, their away record says it all.

Please DJ get some of the old guard in who care about the club (Buxton, Reda, Semedo, Madine even Bywater). This is not just a bad run, this is the start of something very worrying if we don't start to sort it soon. We need our identity back!

Edited by swfc-dan