Ross Barkley

Guest Waterthorpeowl

I can't understand how people spend there lives watching football and still know flip all.

He looked a class above. He was comfortable on the ball and clearly seemed an intelligent footballer.

He didn't look brilliant on the night because he was in a poor team.

I think people forgot it's a team game sometimes. The reason we've been poor this season is because a promotion winning team has been obliterated in favour of bringing in 'better' players. You can't just get rid of everyone and bring so many new players and expect it to work like it's Football Manager. Spirit is everything.

We've all seen how even the better players can look poor when they are in a struggling team. It's happened to players like Semedo already this season and we all know he's a good player.

We made a huge mistake not signing Danny Batth.

^^ i agree with what this guy said...

barkley was easily our best player on the ball, his corners were poor i agree, but this boy is class and will grace the premier league for many years to come.. hes only 18 !! , just dont know what people are watching sometimes !!

bothroyd did nothing, defence was iffy, madine might aswell not have been there,

for me only players that did well was antonio (hes getting better after a pretty poor start to this season) and barkley .... (mccabe did well when he came on...)

i bet JJ didnt wake up yesterday morning thinking he was going to play the whole second half at full back...

but its early days, i predicted we would finish top 10, we still will, we will lose plenty of games this season... realism needed....

Wednesday fans never cease to amaze me sometimes.

Clearly one of our better players on an otherwise poor night all round. Always wanted the ball, played lots of positive passes, looked clever in possession, but seems that isn't good enough for us. Don't get me wrong, his corners weren't great, but then neither were McCabe's when he came on.

Some of the comments like 'rabbit in headlights' and 'touch like a trampoline' (whatever the hell that means) are nothing short of staggering. For example, that pass he played in the first minute or so, when he was looking one direction, yet managed to pass it to through to Antonio in the other, showed what vision and ability he possessed straight away, also showing he had no trouble with the occasion as he executed an incredible move in his first possession of the game.

However, just because he doesn't charge around aimlessly and fly into tackles, do a lot of clapping, or whatever else the people of South Yorkshire expect from a centre midfielder, he is being written off! Hopefully most of you have calmed down from last night now, because this thread just seems like a classic Owlstalk 'end of the world' thread that moronically get chucked out every time we lose a game.

I can't understand how people spend there lives watching football and still know flip all.

He looked a class above. He was comfortable on the ball and clearly seemed an intelligent footballer.

Agree 100%. Anyone slating him tonight must be a moron.

His passing and all round general play were very impressive.

What some of you must see totally baffles me.

Really?

I don't think he was "awful", but he was not class.

He's a young lad, not much experience at this level so it may take a time for him to get going.

agree with this cant criticise him he's been dragged off a coach thrown into a headless squad it was obvious he was lost last night

Thought he looked alright, certainly no more out of his depth than Semedo.

His corners were awful, but his general play was alright, touch looked good and he was comfortable with the ball ( granted the same can be said of both Coke and Lines ) but given time I think he could get better and do a good job for us, unfortunately though I dont think he'll be here long enough to find out.

wtf?

thought he was class tbh, very harsh on the lad.

only his corners let him down.

I agree with this to be honest - most of his corners were poor but he showed some lovely passing ability and good movement.

He is 18 and is here for developement and I think he is a very good signing for us.

Guest totemowl

what a stupid thread .... the kid is 18 ffs, making his home debut and playing next to a cm desperatly out of his depth . shocking performances from samedo, madine bothroyd reda etc etc but lets slag the new kid off..... jeeeez

Out of order! This thread is no more stupid than most of the others this morning.

Guest kiltonowl

Wow,really disapointed with the 'next ronaldo' tonight..

The amount of corners and free kicks he wasted were he never beat the front man is stupid,he has a touch like a trampoline he barely moves from the half way line attacking wise and them stupid passes.. Alot of them tonight by different players

Dont know what anybody else thinks but im not to impressed by him

Nothing else to say other than do you know anything about football....?

The stick Barkley was getting last night depresses me.

As someone said he looked very comfortable on the ball but cos he wasn't smashing in goals from 30 yards and sliding in to flatten people, he's judged poo poo.

Yes his set pieces left a lot to be desired but give the kid a break FFS

Exactly mate.

1. Its his first full game

2. He's come into a team playing terrible football

3. The was no movement from the strikers whatsoever, playing through balls to static, marked forwards is not ideal

4. He did actually play some good balls but our players just couldnt read it quickly enough

Yes his corners were poor, he's 19..... why didnt the captain get someone else to take them?

This kid will be playing for England in year, and all those c*nts on here saying he's not good enough for us will eat their words!

Edited by kiltonowl

I'm sure he's a great prospect and all but surely ANY pro footballer should be able to take something as simple as a corner? The worry I have is the loan contains a 'must play' clause. We could be a in a bit of a hole after our next 2 matches and really don't need the added stress of 'schooling' an 18 year old.

This kid will be playing for England in year, and all those c*nts on here saying he's not good enough for us will eat their words!

Obviously he could end up pi$$ing his career down the toilet (like many before have) but I've a feeling this could happen and this thread re-ignited when he does, highlighting how ridiculous some comments are.

Iniesta could have played last night and he would have got exactly the same stick.

Cringe at this thread and comments.

We have managed to get one of the best young talents about, who has started in the premier league quite a few times, and he starts his first game for us in which the whole team were poor and people start trying to slate him.

Yes his corners weren't the best, I think i've seen messi have a bad game before as well as every other player i've rated, so if we can hold off slagging him off and wanting to send him back or sit on the bench for a little longer please.

Ok his corners weren't great but it's plain to see the kids 'got it'. First touch, vision, passing (he played Antonio in 3 times in first 15 mins with well weighted passes). Wants the ball and plays with his head up.

Not easy to be thrown in when a team isn't performing well. Not sure if he should be played in a 2 man central midfield. Especially when huddersfield had a narrow 3 in there him and semedo were over run due to us having 2 out and out wingers Possibly better playing off the front man?