Ross Barkley

Guest Waterthorpeowl

Guest Grez Bez

Cant believe some people. Must have never played the game in their life!

He looked composed on the ball and did well. Can see he's head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to technique/ vision... Him and Mccabe looked good together when Mcabe came on.

I think this is a case of picking on the new lad because he has a bit of a rep. What a negative attitude that happens a lot. Bothroyd is anotehr example, people want him to fail before he kicked a ball FFS!

His corners were poo poo btw but it was obvioulsy a tactic, surely its teh strikers fault who was meant to be attaching the near post? They weren't miss kicks like Potter....

He should have been played as left sided wide midfielder, role he knows well, and is comfortable playing.

It would have given us more balance, and we would have kept ball much better. His abillity to cut inside, and get involved in play from there, or have efforts on goal from there is well documented.

Jones asked very little in terms of creativity, and support to our "attacking four" so far this season, and stucking Barkley in there allways seemed as a waste of potential.

Add to that how McCabe is a better "defender" in what is already shakey CM, and you will know why decision to play Barkley there surprised me.

I wasn't impressed by him TBH. When we signed Barkley, some Owlstalker stated that he did all of his work 'up the pitch' but he barely made it into the opposition half last night. That said, Semedo did little better. Let's hope he improves.

Edited by shandypants

I wasn't impressed by him TBH. Some Owlstalker stated that he did all of his work 'up the pitch' but he barely made it into the opposition half. That said, Semedo did little better.

Agree he played far too deep to be effective in an attacking or defending role.

Guest Waterthorpeowl

Best young talent about that cant beat the first man from 7-8 corners and 4-5 free kicks.. I pay my money to watch SWFC and therefore are entitled to an opinion.

If Barkley plays and continues to take our corners can we put a man on the front post to flick it over if doesn't seem to be beating their first man?

Who's our smallest player ?, that can also stoop down to a lower position in order to meet the trajectory?, Otherwise seems a good plan in principal ....jobs a gud-un !

* thinks back to Potter, who put corners in like a golfer Putting*

Edited by owls-swfc

Guest Sheff Owl

People who are saying he was poor...

You do realise he was playing deep don't you???

Semedo was further forward than him..Barkley is an attacking player, he needs to be played in a position where he is allowed to attack and get forward.

If you notice some of the game when he didn't take a corner he was near the half way line.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This

The guy is quality and just because his corners where poo pooe (forgetting we hit the bar with one and had one cleared off the line with another) you can tell he is going to be a star and over this month he is going to help us get results. The fact he dropped so deep wasto get the ball to feet and play. Players like him do not come around often, he will be running games from the midfield soon and I think we should count ourselfs lucky to have him on loan with the option to extend it. Especially compared to the standard of players we have been use to getting.

Chill the fooook out, relax and just enjoy our season back in the championship. This is the best squad of players we have had for possibly a decade. It will take time for them to gel maybe we will go up maybe we won't. As long as we dont go down this season can be considerd as a success

Guest Mexico Baby

Any Everton fan reading this will be cringing. Give him time to settle in, Jeysus. He looked comfortable on the ball to me. He had one moment where he let it go under his foot which was schoolboy stuff but he is a kid! Remember that. Also nobody has claimed he will be the next Ronaldo have they? Personally I don't think even Ronaldo himself would score a goal in our team at the minute the way we are playing.

Cause ronaldo would score, we missed some right sitters.

LBH, Barkley had a poor game, never seen so many corners wasted. Felf sorry fit him in the end, surely someone else should have took them.

He did look comfortable on the ball, but failed to do anythin with it. But not all his fault, no movement by other player didn't give him many options.

Amazing. Is there really that many supporters who have never played a competative game before? That's the only reason I can think of for them that are slating the best player we have had for ten years. Not his fault the rest were still in the dressing room when he was looking to give them the ball. Yes, the corners thing should have been sorted, but had beevers header gone in rather than hit the bar, or that goal line clearance not been made (both from his near post corners) this wouldn't be such an issue. Barca, man city, Madrid..... would pay 15m for the kid today. Typical Wednesday ites want to send him back. Get a grip.

Can't believe the stick he has had on here

He did reasonably well in open play and what let him down were his corners

His corners in training are deadly i bet and even in the match they had pace and spin but were 6 inches too short except for the near assist he got when Beevers hit the bar

Some people need to get a grip big time