That nightclub thing at back of South Stand

Yes - that's it.

You could see it from Penistone Road.

Correct - that is it ........, now demolished and forms part of the car parking bays to the left of the south stand exit entrance.

It was possible to go there before home matches for drinks, the entrance / foyer led to a double staircase and the club was upstairs.

Correct - that is it ........, now demolished and forms part of the car parking bays to the left of the south stand exit entrance.

It was possible to go there before home matches for drinks, the entrance / foyer led to a double staircase and the club was upstairs.

I remember going in there before the match...you had to have a match day pass which was free IIRC.

In the book "Hillsborough" it states

The Ozzie Owl social club was opened on 3rd May 1968 in the SOuth Stand car park above the sight (sic) of the old club shop and quickly became a popular haunt for Wednesday fans. After Wednesday let the premises to Mansfield Brewery in September 1970 the social club was converted into the "Ozzie Nite Owl"...Further name changes occurred until May 1976 it was sublet to J. Baldwin who subsequently renmaed it the Hillsborough Suite"

There are photos of the "Ozzie Nite Owl" and Diana Dors opening the club

Guest JohnFantham

Used to go in before the match sometimes but it was always rammed. Same lad seemed to win the yard of ale comps every time iirc could neck in about 5 seconds again iirc

Yes I remember the guy Darra.

Used to go in with my Dad in the 80's on match days (it was called the stands then), seem to remember going up stairs where what seemed a huge room was chock o'block all watching Saint & Greavise on a big screen at one end. Also recall my Dad dragging me down the stairs and then pushing me under them and shouting dont move, Spurs are on the way (would be the 84/85 season)

Ozzie owl club, I used to go there before the match on saturdays, this was in the mid seventies I think. The team was so crap that you needed to have a few pints to numb the effects, crowds were round about 12k average.

I recal the yard of ale competition, usually a visitors fan was encouraged to get up and challege our resident champ, he could sink a yard of ale in about 7 seconds, although he did spill quite a bit.

I especially recal the season when Man Utd were in the second division and were playing the owls. They brought a load of fans and about 50 or so were in the club before the kick off. A group played a few numbers and then followed the yard of ale contest. The Utd guy backed by the reds drank is ale in about 12 secs. Our guy downed his in his usual 7 seconds cheered on by a large contingent of home fans. This did not go down too well with the Utd fans and one hell of a fight broke out, chairs and tables and glasses flying. Police called etc.

Happy days apart from the match - I think Jim Holden Man U's center half broke his leg during the match - anyone else in the club that day?

It used to be called the ozzie owl club years ago

And we used to go in there most saturday dinner times before home games. They usually had the most appalling, blue comedian on. who always started his spot with, "if anybody is offended by bad language, F**k off before I start". That was in the very early 70's.

Ozzie owl club, I used to go there before the match on saturdays, this was in the mid seventies I think. The team was so crap that you needed to have a few pints to numb the effects, crowds were round about 12k average.

I recal the yard of ale competition, usually a visitors fan was encouraged to get up and challege our resident champ, he could sink a yard of ale in about 7 seconds, although he did spill quite a bit.

I especially recal the season when Man Utd were in the second division and were playing the owls. They brought a load of fans and about 50 or so were in the club before the kick off. A group played a few numbers and then followed the yard of ale contest. The Utd guy backed by the reds drank is ale in about 12 secs. Our guy downed his in his usual 7 seconds cheered on by a large contingent of home fans. This did not go down too well with the Utd fans and one hell of a fight broke out, chairs and tables and glasses flying. Police called etc.

Happy days apart from the match - I think Jim Holden Man U's center half broke his leg during the match - anyone else in the club that day?

Wasn't in the club that day but was at the match. Lot of Man Ure fans on the kop but not a deal of trouble iirc. Holten did break his leg. Remember talking to a Manc stood next to me. Decent bloke asking me if I'd ever been to OT. Told him I hadn't mainly because of the reputation of the Mancs. Naw you'll be alright says he you'll be safe. Then Holten breaks his leg,he turns to me smile on his face and says maybe not. Again iirc there was a bit of trouble then over near the South

I recall going on Sundays during the cricket season one year.

Think it was called the Ozzie Owl at that time - maybe the 70's.

Regular features used to be yard of ale contest - usually won by a lad from Stocksbridge, who kept beating his previous record and therefore qualifying for even more beer on top of what he'd already won.

Is he still alive after all that, does he come on here? Whatever, awe inspiring performances for the lads who thought they could drink a bit.

Then the effin and jeffin blue comedian, funny at first, but boring week after week followed by exotic dancing by the ladeeeyz!

Then one week, blue comedian couldn't make it - crescendo of boos! Stand in for the day was a an ostrihc-loving, host of a local nightclub and Chezzie person, the one and only...

Bernie Clifton! Not one blue gag and went down a storm.

Happy days!

The nightclub that we used to have at the back of the South Stand

What was it called ?

Does anyone have any photos of it (inside or outside) ?

Tell me stuff about it....

it was called stands my parents owned it back in 1984 it was a snooker hall it had a granny flat out the back built onto it

with stairs leading inside the ground loads of free games also got chased out from the groundsman on a sunday many of times lol

Guest MEXBOROUGH

I'm pretty sure the Ozzie Owl Club of the 70's and the Stands club of the 80's were two totally different buildings

both built roughly in the same place, at the South Stand side of the East Bank

I was too young to go in the Ozzie Owl, kids weren't allowed in due to the pre match strippers, but I went in Stands

a few times. With the closure of The Gate and Travs* now would be a great time to open a new Ozzie Owl bar

* Speaking of the Travs, it was great to see Weeney back on his feet, so to speak,at Brighton on friday

Remember going to Ozzie's in the 70's (around 76 - 77) when I was 16 - 17 years old. Used to come out of the Travellers and then walk there for some more drinks. Can remember once getting absolutely rat- arsed one Friday night in there and had to go to the gents, the room was really spinning, while in the gents the place got raided by the Police 'cause it had a slight reputation for letting in underage drinkers (no i.d. cards then, would have really buggered my social life if there were). Anyway they never checked the gents and I got away with it, most of my mates got arrested and fined, happy days eh? :ph34r:

With the closure of The Gate and Travs* now would be a great time to open a new Ozzie Owl bar

Would love to see a big warehouse style function room/bar in some of the space occupied by the Wednesdayite car park. Long bars down each side (so quick to get served), fixed price basket meals, big screen at either end and someone warming 1-2,000 fans up singing - would be an amazing noise being inside - and that would hopefully carry the atmosphere into the ground just across the road.

Wouldn't have to be expensive to construct - pretty simple shell - but it could be a goldmine.

Edited by Daz

Used to go in with my Dad in the 80's on match days (it was called the stands then), seem to remember going up stairs where what seemed a huge room was chock o'block all watching Saint & Greavise on a big screen at one end. Also recall my Dad dragging me down the stairs and then pushing me under them and shouting dont move, Spurs are on the way (would be the 84/85 season)

I remember Spurs coming and causing some havoc - we were standing just outside Stands at the bottom of the stairs with a beer when they decided to pay us a visit. All was good in the end though - think we beat them 2-1 :ghoulguy:

we went regular on a friday night to the ozzie owl club, down hillsborough first

up the wooden stairs into the main bar area, the bar was on the left and there was a round dance floor at the end of the room

it was mansfield bitter and your shoes used to stick to the carpet because of the spilt beer

there always seemed to be a fight or scuffle going off friday nights, this would be about 1976 and kung foo was on the telly, i remember on guy in a long leather coat giving it large on the dance floor kiccking s**t out of another guy and he was doing all these kung foo noises and moves, looked a reyt knob

used to come out of the ozzie owl and go for some chips and beans from the late night cafe on leooings lane then walk it back to stannington as we had no money for a taxi

bloody good days

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Would love to see a big warehouse style function room/bar in some of the space occupied by the Wednesdayite car park. Long bars down each side (so quick to get served), fixed price basket meals, big screen at either end and someone warming 1-2,000 fans up singing - would be an amazing noise being inside - and that would hopefully carry the atmosphere into the ground just across the road.

Agreed but are we a 'chicken in a basket' type club anymore Daz? :ph34r:

Could be a fixed 'fan-park' type thing with stalls around a central fixed covered seating area - like the olympic venues - which could be used for other 'events' at Hillsborough.