Overwhelmed or underwhelmed

Many people are using this word "underwhelmed" in relation to signings or lack of.

I am not certain what we really expected.

The 1990s signings of Chris Waddle, Chris Woods & Des Walker would have come into the category of

"overwhelmed". But in the cold light of day, they were all past their best and gave us perhaps 3 magical years.

Did the cost of those years and the subsequent mismanagement lead us to December 2010.

Most of the players we are "interested in" are 30+ and support on OT is mixed.

Maybe this building for the future, with young 20 yearolds is risky. Maybe it is doomed to failure. Only time will tell.

But we have tried everything else, trust MM & DJ

Maybe this time next year we will all be overwhelmed

I'm fairly happy with our squad and think it's capable of competing in the Championship. Yeah we could do with another striker, winger and central-midfielder but the ones we currently have will do.

My slight niggle is the lack of pace at the back. This would be my priority before the window closes.

Guest Nilsson_is_God

Many people are using this word "underwhelmed" in relation to signings or lack of.

The 1990s signings of Chris Waddle, Chris Woods & Des Walker would have come into the category of

"overwhelmed". But in the cold light of day, they were all past their best and gave us perhaps 3 magical years.

Did the cost of those years and the subsequent mismanagement lead us to December 2010.

Maybe this building for the future, with young 20 yearolds is risky. Maybe it is doomed to failure. Only time will tell.

Think again.... past there best but gave us 3 magical years....

Des Walker played more games for us than he did forest in his 7 years.....

Chris Waddle played just as many for us than he did at Marseille and in my eyes played his best football for us in a higher league.....

Chris Woods played for 4/5 years......

Wouldnt really say any of them were past there best when we signed them... with maybe the exception of Chis Woods the others played there best football with us... IMHO...

I'm very excited. We've ended up shelling out some dosh in the end.

750k+ for Antonio

300k for Magure

Fee for McCabes compensation

Danny Mayor? Don't know how much he's cost

And more signings potentially. Plus we have scouted Europe for talent and brought in some exciting solid free signings.

replacing Waddle, Woods and Walker with Sinton, Tidman and Purse had a lot more to do with i think.

They were great players. a bit of astute management and some sensible signings, instead of the dismantling of a perfectly capable side to be replaced by mercenary foreigners (Jonk, De bilge, Rudi, the list is endless) and we could still be a dominant mid premiership side now.

still, looking forwards - we have made sensible, affordable signings and signed a number of youth players. get the mix right between them, and you have a competitive squad with sellable assets, which in turn provides funds to buy better players.

itll be a long road, but im pleased with all the signings we have made so far.