Velios

Guest Waterthorpeowl

Guest Waterthorpeowl

Seems to me hes the unknown striker were close to signing.. DJ said wed done a deal but we were waiting for the player to he replaced by the other club i think its him..

Guest Waterthorpeowl

@FootballAgent_9: Striker joining #SWFC will be Vellios from Everton. Dave Jones was at Everton training ground last week. #EFC

Apostolos Vellios has thanked the Everton fans for voting him young player of the year, but has promised there is more to come next season.

The 20-year-old joined the Toffees from Greek side Iraklis in January 2011 for a fee of £250,000.

He spent the majority of his first few months on Merseyside in the reserves but did break into the Evertonspacer.gif first-team at the start of this season.

The Greece Under-21 international scored his first senior goal for the club against Wigan in September 2011 before further strikes against Chelseaspacer.gif and Bolton.

The January arrival of Nikica Jelavic from Rangersspacer.gif pushed Vellios out of the first-team picture and he spent the rest of the campaign back in the reserves.

However, his brief flirtation with the first-team was enough to persuade the fans to vote him as Everton's Young Player of the Year.

More to come

Velios revealed his delight at receiving the honour, thanking the fans for their votes and support, but promised more to come in the next campaign.

"I am really happy [with the award]," he told the Liverpoolspacer.gif Echo. "I want to say a big thanks to all theBluesspacer.gif who voted for me.

"I'm so proud. It has given me more confidence for the future to be better.

"I looked at the names of the previous winners and it's a big honour that my name will be there with them.

"It was a good season for me, but I think I have many surprises for next season."

Guest wilyfox

Looks a player of the Madine mould to me. He may well be a decent player, but wouldn't exactly give us variety in attack.

Thats it, Madine or a striker of that ilk, is integral to the way we play. Its good to have different options from the bench to change a game, but at this level you don't want to be having to change the way the team plays to accommodate a different type of striker in the absence of your main man. Makes sense to duplicate what Madine offers, and hopefully the variation will be provided by Chopra, McCormack, Maynard, Whoever and Maguire.

Guest foreverSWFC

Where has this even come from?

There are 92 teams in English football, and just because Everton are signing Owen doesn't mean it will be the player Jones has in mind.

Too much guessing go on, the season starts tonight and i'm resigned to letting DJ get on with it.