Quality on show

Thought we had some real quality on show against WBA. We kept possesion and played some great football whilst looking confident and up for the fight. Very impressive.

Kirkland looks an outstanding keeper - made some great saves and was very commanding.

Gardner was pure class. Never troubled , looked assured and will win everything in the air.

Pecnic has the potential to be a real find. His movement , passing , control and energy were clear to see. Class.

Semedo and Lines dominated midfield for me although of course Wba had their moments. Lines has the ability to step up and clearly wants it considering his energetic performance yesterday. Their players were bouncing off Semedo and then looking across at him in awe!!

Maguire - Wow! How and why have Derby let him go?? His passing , control and vision were immense and his willingness to run all day and battle for the ball really impressed.

JJ looked sharp and his pace will give us an outlet and trouble other teams.

Dave Jones has been remarkable since he came in and this team has the potential to play some great football this season.

Dave Jones seems to be building a very good squad. With the foundations to do very well over the coming season/seasons. Of course it won't all happen over night, if we are successfull this year the great, but if not we can build. He said in yesterday's interview that's what he is all about! Building.

I think there will be some good quality solid signings to come in still! We have come miles from where we was a couple of seasons ago. I'd go as far as saying light years ahead.

We are in for an interesting season and an interesting couple of years.

Guest dunellaowl

It's obvious DJ is building a side to play quality football this season, his cardiff side was a joy to watch, just need a cutting edge up front, and with MA coming in and another striker we could be in for a very interesting season.

Guest bensonowl

You didn't mention buxton, who sometimes doesn't get the the praise he deserves, he was very good yesterday and lee will have a fight on his hands

Guest Camorra Owl

Thought we had some real quality on show against WBA. We kept possesion and played some great football whilst looking confident and up for the fight. Very impressive.

Kirkland looks an outstanding keeper - made some great saves and was very commanding.

Gardner was pure class. Never troubled , looked assured and will win everything in the air.

Pecnic has the potential to be a real find. His movement , passing , control and energy were clear to see. Class.

Semedo and Lines dominated midfield for me although of course Wba had their moments. Lines has the ability to step up and clearly wants it considering his energetic performance yesterday. Their players were bouncing off Semedo and then looking across at him in awe!!

Maguire - Wow! How and why have Derby let him go?? His passing , control and vision were immense and his willingness to run all day and battle for the ball really impressed.

Dave Jones has been remarkable since he came in and this team has the potential to play some great football this season.

This is nice to read.But without trying to p**s on your chips lets not get carried away just yet.It was afterall only a friendly.The real acid test statrs in a fortnight and there on after.But like you Im buzzing with excitement and can't wait for the Derby game and I haven't felt like this for years UTO

I think what's nice to see is that we'll have some decent competition in a few positions, especially due to the fact that DJ said he wants another 5 signings after Antonio. A couple of strikers, a left winger, a right-sided CB and possibly a playmaker are the 5 I reckon. The further up the pitch you go the more money you generally have to pay so I can see 2 or 3 of them being on loan for the season - the cheaper option. We all know how effective good loan signings can be though so I have no fear there!

Guest Hola Tidman

Watching Semedo makes me erect, in a non gay way. He is the best footballer we've had for years and years. Absolute pure class.

bit gay mate

I thought you lot were okay. Nothing special. Same as us to be honest. A typical pre-season friendly where both sides were happy to allow the opposition time on the ball. Both teams struggled to create goalscoring opportunities with the best perhaps coming our way. Gera and JJ both missed sitters in the second half which both should have been buried.

The only player I saw as a threat was the lad with long hair on the wing who caused us a couple of problems with his direct running. Chris Lines also was very efficient in the way he used the ball.

Where was Gary Madine?

Guest foreverSWFC

I thought you lot were okay. Nothing special. Same as us to be honest. A typical pre-season friendly where both sides were happy to allow the opposition time on the ball. Both teams struggled to create goalscoring opportunities with the best perhaps coming our way. Gera and JJ both missed sitters in the second half which both should have been buried.

The only player I saw as a threat was the lad with long hair on the wing who caused us a couple of problems with his direct running. Chris Lines also was very efficient in the way he used the ball.

Where was Gary Madine?

Madine has a foot injury, hopefully fit for the start of the season.

I thought West Brom were a good side, you could tell they were a Premier League side, the way you kept the ball and knocked it around was top class. James Morrison is a lovely player for you and Odemwingie looked class when he had the ball in space. I think we got under your skin a bit, some of your players reacted very stupidly to some decisions and tackles. Odemwingie, Cox and Dorrans really did embarass themselves, and how Dorrans got away with that blatant punch on Pecnik i will not know, i understand it's a friendly but that behaviour was disgreaceful.

Like West Brom always have and i'm sure they'll be just fine next season. In the 'shameful' thread some had you as favourites to go down, but i disagree completely. A very established Premier League side. Good luck next season.

Where was Gary Madine?

Agree with this, you're obviously a better side and would've brushed us aside at any time if you would've gone for it.

Like you say a typical pre season game, one or to of our fans getting a touch carried away.

Madine was injured by the way.

Madine has a foot injury, hopefully fit for the start of the season.

I thought West Brom were a good side, you could tell they were a Premier League side, the way you kept the ball and knocked it around was top class. James Morrison is a lovely player for you and Odemwingie looked class when he had the ball in space. I think we got under your skin a bit, some of your players reacted very stupidly to some decisions and tackles. Odemwingie, Cox and Dorrans really did embarass themselves, and how Dorrans got away with that blatant punch on Pecnik i will not know, i understand it's a friendly but that behaviour was disgreaceful.

Like West Brom always have and i'm sure they'll be just fine next season. In the 'shameful' thread some had you as favourites to go down, but i disagree completely. A very established Premier League side. Good luck next season.

Agree with this, you're obviously a better side and would've brushed us aside at any time if you would've gone for it.

Like you say a typical pre season game, one or to of our fans getting a touch carried away.

Two very reasonable posts which some up the situation. Cheers fellas.

No need to ruin the official West Brom & Sheffield Wednesday partnership! :biggrin:

Don't really think they would have brushed us aside?

When the announcer went through WBA team I was thinking we'd take any of their players in a flash but any one would cost us big money. After the match, albeit a friendly who would we take?

Without wishing to sound arrogant because I don't want to. I reckon the majority of our squad would walk into your side. We've been in the Premier League for the past three years continually improving, you have unfortunately been stuck in league one and are on the way to being where the club deserves. There's going to be a massive difference in quality and so there should be.

The only ones which wouldn't walk into your squad are perhaps Simon Cox and our youth players, but even George Thorne had a successful loan period at Portsmouth.

Edited by Liam_Baggies

Without wishing to sound arrogant because I don't want to. I reckon the majority of our squad would walk into your side. We've been in the Premier League for the past three years continually improving, you have unfortunately been stuck in league one and are on the way to being where the club deserves. There's going to be a massive difference in quality and so there should be.

The only ones which wouldn't walk into your squad are perhaps Simon Cox and our youth players, but even George Thorne had a successful loan period at Portsmouth.

Yeah you're probably right. Btw I used to work in Rubery with a number of Baggies fans, one of whom used to sit next to Frank Skinner at school. He wasn't funny. They used to talk about Tony Brown, Bryan Robson and I can remember Jeff Astle and even Derek Kevan, had some great players at the Hawthorns. Have a good season.

Without wanting to get giddy I have to agree with the OP. Very very happy with what I saw yesterday. Still got McCabe, madine, antonio and a couple of new signings to add to that too. Happy days guys very happy days to come. Think derby are in for a shock in a fortnight!