Manderic, Dave & Gary

MM has said that SWFC NOW have a good scouting system and good contacts in the game. IMO this was a little backhanded dig at Megson.

Megson signed BM, who was the driving force for the first half of the season. He tried to sign him in Jan but, couldn’t. Megson then immediately found a like for like (ish) replacement in MA who got us promoted.

DJ is in a similar position. If we can’t sign MA, then MM comments will be put to the test. For us to have a chance of success, we need a good winger (Doni proved that)

Should Dave ask Gary for recommendations?

DJ - "Hiya Gary, got a bit of a problem, no width in the side"

GM - "Sucks to be you Dave"

DJ - "Yeah, so anyway, got any names of decent wingers we should be looking at"

GM - "Michail Antonio "

DJ - "Just f**k off Gary"

Guest dunellaowl

Lets ask big ron about a decent ball playing midfielder or better still ask tricky trev about wingers he brought in waddle ya know.....

Right so there's a massive argument about Ryan Lowe.. now you want to bring in the argument about Megson?

No, just to say that Mandarics comments about our good scouting system will be put to the test.

SWFC needed a winger fast in Jan when BM bobbed to Stoke. Megson delivered. We need DJ to stand up to the plate and prove MM right.

Megson played his part in our success last season and left 5 months ago. Any chance we can just appreciate that and MOVE THE F*CK ON?!

Nope,

I still talk about Jack Charlton, Howard Wilkinson, Big Ron etc etc. Still will until my grave. Megson reign is still very relevant now. U don't want to discuss it, feck off! Simples.

I think you are linking the wrong issues here, I can't see any link between the Marshall and Antonio situations, Megson and the Scouting system.

It was a well known that there was no scouting infrastructure at SWFC for a long time as it was downsized, under-resourced and neglected in the wilderness years. This is more of a club rather than a managerial issue. This means a lack of paid staff, player databases or resources to gather information on players across the country and on the continent to support the manager.

Edited by Taff_Owl

I think MM was probably talking more about before he came and in fairness the scouting system was a bit crap. Megson had some decent contacts, but he was the type of character that could easily rub ppl up the wrong way. Not a dig at Megson just an observation

It's wrong to completely forget the previous management.

One thing that could worry fans is just how common it is for managers to try and make a team their own. Many managers seem to think that if they have success with players signed by a previous manager then their own success is somewhat diminished.

I trust Dave Jones but there are plenty of players that I'd rather get rid of than Lowe. I just hope we don't get rid of too many, we need to keep the 'team' that served us so brilliantly last season and seemed so together.

DJ - "Hiya Gary, got a bit of a problem, no width in the side"

GM - "Sucks to be you Dave"

DJ - "Yeah, so anyway, got any names of decent wingers we should be looking at"

GM - "Michail Antonio "

DJ - "Just f**k off Gary"

lolgary megson

I don't think it was a dig at Megson, if it was a dig at all it was at the previous regime who almost killed the club.

Since Milan came in he's turned the club around on and off the pitch, and we now have a good scouting system and contacts.

We don't have any hard evidence that we have a good scounting system, we have assurances. How the new players shape up next season will provide us with good evidence. A much more immediate test will be how DJ reacts if we can't sign MA.

IMO the MA situation for DJ is very similar to BM & Megson. We had a pivotal winger on loan who we wanted to sign permanently, this didn't happen. Megson pulled another rabbit out of the hat, DJs time to do the same.

MM has said that SWFC NOW have a good scouting system and good contacts in the game. IMO this was a little backhanded dig at Megson.

Megson signed BM, who was the driving force for the first half of the season. He tried to sign him in Jan but, couldn’t. Megson then immediately found a like for like (ish) replacement in MA who got us promoted.

DJ is in a similar position. If we can’t sign MA, then MM comments will be put to the test. For us to have a chance of success, we need a good winger (Doni proved that)

Should Dave ask Gary for recommendations?

DJ has said the same thing. Made some reference about coming in and us having no records of player reports, etc. And us only now actually building up an archive.

GM talked about expanding the scouting network but maybe they just reported back to him and there was no detailed record-keeping.

Anyway, I don't see the controversy, MM is just stating a fact, our scouting network has clearly improved in the sense of its reach, you only have to look at the different places the signings are coming from. Whether it's improved in terms of identifying quality players, we'll wait and see.

This isn't a dig at GM, as he did well getting them both in, but Antonio and Marshall had both played at least half seasons in League One. The informed football fan knew about both of them, let alone actual managers.