DJ seems a happy man after Portugal, plus Milan on Antonio

Guest intercity0wl

Guest intercity0wl

By Paul Thompson Sheffield Wednesday

Published on Wednesday 25 July 2012 07:02

OWLS manager Dave Jones has given his players a big pat on the back after they ended their week in Portugal with a 2-0 win against Premier League club Reading in Albufeira last night.

“You don’t get any points for that, but if you did I would be absolutely delighted,” he said. “Reading are a good side.

“Our lads have worked their socks off all week and they deserved this win.

“We have had a great week in Portugal, and I’ve been absolutely delighted with the players from the first minute they got back for pre-season.”

The goals last night came from Mike Jones and Chris O’Grady, and the manager praised the team’s performance: “We kept our shape, worked well defensively and attacked well as a unit.”

Michail Antonio played for the second half as a Reading sub.

Earlier in the day Owls chairman Milan Mandaric confirmed fresh talks with the Royals over the winger.

“I am meeting their chairman to see where they stand. Do they want to sell him? How much do they want? Our first offer was not enough and our second offer was not enough.” The Owls’ bids are thought to have been up to £700,000.

Mandaric also said: “We still need to get a few more players in and we are working on that.

“There are a few different things to sort out; hopefully there will be more progress in the next few days.”

Wednesday are known to be in the hunt for Portsmouth midfielder David Norris, but The Star understands that claims he has been to Sheffield for talks are wide of the mark.

Mandaric has been linked in a Belgian magazine with Belgian club Westerlo.

He told The Star that the Owls a year ago did explore the possibility of establishing a link with Belgium over players, but he strongly denied the magazine’s suggestion that he would be visiting the country in August and could take up a personal involvement in Westerlo: “Absolutely not,” he said.

Guest Dadders

The suspicion was that Wednesday were messing around on the Antonio fee, offering c.350k then 500k when we knew they wanted c.700k. So it's interesting to see we've had 700k turned down and MM doesn't know how much they actually want

Guest intercity0wl

The suspicion was that Wednesday were messing around on the Antonio fee, offering c.350k then 500k when we knew they wanted c.700k. So it's interesting to see we've had 700k turned down and MM doesn't know how much they actually want

Jonny Fordham‏@JonnyFordham

Nick Hammond, the #readingfc dof, has told #swfc "the ball is in their court" if they want to land Michail Antonio - more in @getreading

If Reading wanted him, they would have extended his contract. He is in his last year.

They are just putting him in the shop window.

I wouldn't pay an inflated price via panic buying. The ball is in Readings court IMO. Either do an acceptable deal, give him a new contract on higher wages, or do nothing and get nothing at the end of the season.

If we have made a reasonable offer - move on IMO.

MM doesn't actually say that we have bid £700k -lets face it, the star are going to have to taken that fee of here in all likelyhood. It could well be that our first two bids were £350k and £500K.

Guest Markowl1

If the balls in our court IMO mm will have found out last night how much they want I do believe 600 k plus clauses even if a deal was struck last night Antonio still needs a medical and agree personal terms so if the deal were to happen prob won't be confirmed till weekend lol

Guest pops55

If Reading wanted him, they would have extended his contract. He is in his last year.

They are just putting him in the shop window.

I wouldn't pay an inflated price via panic buying. The ball is in Readings court IMO. Either do an acceptable deal, give him a new contract on higher wages, or do nothing and get nothing at the end of the season.

If we have made a reasonable offer - move on IMO.

I'm with you on this one reading, although i would love us to sign MA lets not be held to ransom if ther'e being greedy then move on.

Totally disagree that we should move on.

Every signing is a gamble but we have surely seen enough of him to know that he will cut it at this level, if it means we spend that bit more on him then so be it.

All signings are gambles. But, you have to take a 'calculated' gamble and not pay crazy money.

How many other Clubs are willing to meet their asking price - other Clubs must know he is in the shop window.

Let Reading come back to us - they clearly don't want the player and thus have the most to lose.

Are we supposed to enter into a bidding war?

With ourselves.

Only speculating, but it seems, from newspaper reports, if you can believe them, that Reading's valuation of Antonio keeps changing, on an almost weekly basis.

Interesting to note that there are now noises being made about other clubs also being interested in Antonio. Normally the first sign that the selling club are trying to generate a bidding war.

It's a dilemma for Milan. I believe he genuinely wants to sign Antonio for the fans, but should he drop his pants and lean over a barrel to do so?

The disappointing thing is that if we drop out of the race, and the bidding war Reading want for a player who is about their 4th or 5th choice doesn't materialise, he could end up elsewhere for a fee less than what we have offered, and some will then think Milan never tried hard enough.

On the whole though, I'm also tempted to suggest we should forget about this one, and consider one of our alternative targets instead.