DJ seems a happy man after Portugal, plus Milan on Antonio

Guest intercity0wl

Precisely. I'd be happy for us to pay say a million for him because he's a Premier League player. Or, at least hes played in the Premier League.

As I've just said in another thread, we should just tell Reading to rumble off now. Antonio isn't worth the hype that's surrounded him this Summer. He's a good player, no doubt, but he isn't good enough for a club like Reading to take the wee wee out of us.

If he signs then great. If not, I'll be even happier. It shows we won't be taken for mugs and overpaying for a player.

Wise words mate...............WHAT?? :wacko:

It doesn't help with all the hype that we the fans have created. Twitter campaigns, singing his name at last nights game etc. Reading will know how desperate the fans are to sign him which could obviously put pressure on the club to get the deal done

If Antonio performed at a similar level to how he did last season for us then there is no question he would be worth a million. But there is no way of knowing if he'll be able to manage that. Reading don't seem to think so as they didn't use him much at that level. If that really is what they are after I wouldn't blame Mandaric for deciding against it.

Presumably though, unless someone else comes in who is prepared to throw that kind of money around (and you'd think that they'd have made their interest known by now after how long we've had our hat in the ring) we ought to be able to come to some arrangement regarding an up front fee and additional clauses for future selling and/or promotion.

That's the big thing for me..players often over perform on loan. Then when the move is made permanentthey end up shybo...Potter anyone?

Jonny Fordham‏@JonnyFordham

Nick Hammond, the #readingfc dof, has told #swfc "the ball is in their court" if they want to land Michail Antonio - more in @getreading

The last time I saw 'the ball is in their court' on here, it was during one of the many embarrassing failed takeover negotiations lol

Not a good sign of a deal being done imo

I think he is worth the money and will be worth far more in a couple of seasons if he developes as he should.

The thing is we have seen his potential and he seems to fit in with DJ style of play - I am sure we have other options but it doesnt mean they will come in and gel with our existing players, the club, the style of play - that in my opinion is a far bigger gamble than spending £750+ on Antonio.

We shouldnt move on yet and I dont think we will do - MM and DJ realise we could have a player who will help the club and possibly make money when it comes to moving him on.

Edited by Spookone

The disappointing thing is that if we drop out of the race, and the bidding war Reading want for a player who is about their 4th or 5th choice doesn't materialise, he could end up elsewhere for a fee less than what we have offered, and some will then think Milan never tried hard enough.

Unless we signed someone else in the meantime that wouldn't happen. Reading would come running back to us asking if our offer was still on the table, and we would get him for the price we wanted in the first place.

Given that, we probably need to drop out now in order to force the issue. Start making bids for other wingers instead. There are other players out there; remember we only got Antonio because we missed out on Marshall. For all we know it could be a blessing in disguise.

Guest justcraig

Didn't even take this long to negotiate the divvying up of Eastern Europe following the end of WW1

Ha ha ha

Guest JonTheOwl66

Wise words mate...............WHAT?? :wacko:

He's a good player, and I'd happily welcome him to Hillsborough if a deal is agreed.

However, if he doesn't sign.. Then I'm pleased because it'll show we won't be taken for mugs and forced to overpay for players. Those days are in the past and (to say a cliché) ecstatic that we have the right people running our club.

Obviously I don't know whats actually going on, but I'd have to say Owlsman, thats not usually the way reading conduct their transfer business. Us on the other hand...............

That's quite an outlandish claim. I assume you have evidence to back this up?

http://www.readingch...-transfer-saga/

And this report seems to think we bid 700k, in reference to your earlier assumptions we had only bid 500k.

http://www.getreadin...michail_antonio

Stop at 500 k , to say his unproven in the championship is true he was at reading in the championship last year with reading and they didnt think he was good enough thats why we got him. Time to move on me thinks

So was ALF ... Wouldn't get one leg of him for £500k now.

Resale value (part of running any club properly) ... The hunger of unproven players to prove themselves ... Lower wages ...

I thought Forest were richer than Man City now. And Leicester are apparently minted.

Don't see Man City buying players for resale value / hungry players / lower wages. They pay for the players to do the job now.

If you've got money to burn why not spend it on established players? No need to gamble.

I was thinknig about that lad Leicester have signed from non league for around £1m, seems a bit of a gamble?

I agree with what your saying, i just think that there are teams in the championship willing to pay silly money if required.

Stop at 500 k , to say his unproven in the championship is true he was at reading in the championship last year with reading and they didnt think he was good enough thats why we got him. Time to move on me thinks

Words of wisdom. Surprised more people on here have not come up with that reasoning too?

If Reading didn't think he was good enough for their Championship squad then how come people see him as some kind of 'must have' for us to have a successful season? He may have turned it on against some very poor Div 3 teams in the short time he was with us but the Championship is a much higher level......

Maybe he can maybe he can't? Certainly not worth all this super hype!