Madine or Rhodes

Guest b995

Doesn't this debate suggest a lack of confidence in what we have, and point to the need to sign an inspiring new striker for the next level..?

Doesn't this debate suggest a lack of confidence in what we have, and point to the need to sign an inspiring new striker for the next level..?

Which is why I keep saying we need a decent scorer to go along side him.

reading won the championship and there top scorer(alf) had 12 goals the next had 8 .to say you need a 25 goal striker to be successful is way off the mark .

Southampton had Lambert. Having a striker who scores 20 odd goals isn't going to be a bad thing is it!

Still think Madines overrated, doesn't read the game very well, can't run with the ball and beat a man. Obviously good in the air when attacking the goal. He's far from the finished product. Hope he proves me wrong but think he will struggle in the Championship.

Next level means he must have a good first touch or he wont be any good, simple.

What a stupid and devisive thread where the options pretty ,uch come down to being disloyal to one of our players - or being stupid regarding the other player.

If a guy scores 40 goals then bravo - stunning achievement - none of this "yeah but" bollocks - forty flipping goals! Amazing.

However, both players are still only proven in league 1 - whether either/both can step up - and whether one does it better than the other remains to be seen.

But you can't knock 40 goals - or somehow make excuses for it like he's a playground goal hanger that just stands on the goal line waiting for tap ins

Rhodes scored about 20 of his goals in probably 6-7 games, 6 at Wycombe 4 against us etc so that leaves 20 in 42 (if he played every game) which is still a good record but he went off the boil towards the end of the season and didnt look like a 40 goal striker, you would have thought he would be the 1st to step up for a penalty in the shootout!

as you say, very divisive thread...

i didn't like the one's about who in our side wasn't good enough before the end of last season...

obviously rhodes has scored a mammoth amount of goals...

madine less so, but i would imagine from fewer appearances...

rhodes looked "off it" in the play-off final...

and i await to see how both players will perform with better opponents against them next season...

Still think Madines overrated, doesn't read the game very well, can't run with the ball and beat a man. Obviously good in the air when attacking the goal. He's far from the finished product. Hope he proves me wrong but think he will struggle in the Championship.

Really? I think he reads the game well hence why he is such a good link man in a Teddy Sheringham style of way.

If you mean he doesn't get on many corners the reason for that is JJ's and Antonio's delivery is poor. For all those spaffing over how much we should spend on Antonio he does need to work on his delivery as he is just a better version of JJ in the crossin department.

Jordan Rhodes is an excellent finisher is only problem as a higher level is finding the space in and around the box. However the lad does appear to have a mature head on his shoulders and should improve. He could end up being one of those players that seems to do little but given one chance scores and those type of players are not very common.

as you say, very divisive thread...

i didn't like the one's about who in our side wasn't good enough before the end of last season...

obviously rhodes has scored a mammoth amount of goals...

madine less so, but i would imagine from fewer appearances...

rhodes looked "off it" in the play-off final...

and i await to see how both players will perform with better opponents against them next season...

Exactly, pudding proof.

Both very good strikers at League 1 level.

Rhodes goal scoring record as top class with 40 goals and Madine has averaged a goal every other game which pretty much pi$$es all over any argument that he's no good.

It'll be interesting to see how both players make the step up to the next level this next season, personally I don't think either will have a problem.

:madine:

I don't know what a very high level is, but 18 in about 35/36 games isn't a fantastic return for a striker who played in a team who went up automatically - not as our main goal threat.

Simple point is, 18 goals in L1 isn't going to convert into 25 Championship goals (although I appreciate the learning and developing point) which is what we need if we're going to have a good season (from our number 1 striker). I'd like Madine to play up tip with someone who can score us 20 odd league goals, as I think it would bring him on and encourage him to be more clinical also.

If he gets 18 league goals next season, that will be cracking return, but someone else will have to get the same if not more for us to have a good season.

Are you joking? Thats a 1 in 2 ratio, any striker who has that in there first and second proper proffessional seasons in football is in for good things. He's done brilliant this year Gary and at 21 is only going to improve. Don't know what your expectations of him are.

Edited by TheEnchanter

Guest Greasy

If Madine hadn't piked up that injury at Tranmere in November I'm confident he would have scored 25+ goals this season comfortably. Rhodes is a good player there's no doubt about it, but for me he is very over hyped. Might sound strange considering he scored 40 goals this season, but for me Madine was cheaper and has the same potential as Rhodes which is to play in the Premiership one day. If we were to sign Rhodes he'd cost a fortune and if it doesn't pay off it'd be a MASSIVE waste of money. With Madine we paid something like 400k with add ons so low risk for potentially a high gain. I wouldn't turn down the chance to have Rhodes mind. :biggrin:

You've got to laugh at some of the comments here.

Madine has the potential to be a quality player, but Rhodes is class. He's scored 40 goals this season fooks sake, that is no fluke, scoring 40 goals is no fluke. You can't argue that he is a 'proven failure' in the Championship, Ipswich didn't play him enough and released him, what a MASSIVE mistake that proved to be. Rhodes has matured and developed at Huddersfield and will most likely join Fulham in the summer, a premier league side.

I'm sorry but Rhodes is way ahead of Madine, if Madine scored 40 goals last season we can have this debate.

Thank God!

Somebody not wearing their blue and white specs.

Be interesting to see if it was the other way around, and we had Rhodes and not Madine. I'm sure Rhodes would be the most prominent answer in this thread.

Guest Big Guns

It's a no brainer........it has to be red sauce on a corned beef sandwich.

Never

I only have mustard on corned beef sarnies...