Redamade replacement For Batth?

Guest sal1

Sorry, but I think you're overstating the importance of that a great deal. It might be preferable, but not to any great extent. Blocking and tackling doesn't require the same degree of precision that dribbling and shooting do most of the time. When I was in a defensive position I don't recall ever thinking that I'd prefer the player with the ball to go one way rather than the other. But then I made an effort to be able to use both feet adequately, which it seems a lot of well paid professionals don't bother to.

I think that it is more imprtant than you say. That is why I am convinced that Jones will recruit a right sided CB this summer even though we already have 4 left footed CB's (not including Reynolds) on the books. Most players favour and are better tackling with one or the other even if they have worked hard at becoming two footed.

Guest sal1

Ok, so it's maybe a confidence thing, rather than a tactical issue - that would explain why certain all right footer CB pairing work well then if both CB's feel comfortable playing either left or right sided CB.

I think its both confidence and actual/tactical to be fair. There are exceptions but as I have said above, despite having Liera, Reda, Beevers (if he re-signs) and Jones I expect another CB recruit and I'd wager now that it'll be a right footer.

I think its both confidence and actual/tactical to be fair. There are exceptions but as I have said above, despite having Liera, Reda, Beevers (if he re-signs) and Jones I expect another CB recruit and I'd wager now that it'll be a right footer.

What percentage of players are left footed? About 20% maybe? So the odds are good any centre back would be right footed whether it is intended or not.

I'm still not convinced this is a significant factor. It would be interesting to know how some of the world's best centre back pairings match this idea of left-footer on the left and right-footer on the right.

What percentage of players are left footed? About 20% maybe? So the odds are good any centre back would be right footed whether it is intended or not.

I'm still not convinced this is a significant factor. It would be interesting to know how some of the world's best centre back pairings match this idea of left-footer on the left and right-footer on the right.

I wanted to check this, but found it hard to find any info as to how one footed someone is on the internet.

I wanted to check this, but found it hard to find any info as to how one footed someone is on the internet.

I had a quick look and found the same problem. Couldn't find anything in coaching principles that referenced it either.

But if only 10-20% of the population are left-footed anyway (that seems to be about as precise as the figure gets) how is it even practical to vigorously pursue this 'one of each' philosophy anyway over a large number of clubs?

Guest sal1

You've gone and set yourself a task now! The good news in what you are saying is that there should be plenty of decent right sided centre backs out there for us to sign. I am confident that DJ will be recruiting at least one.

You've gone and set yourself a task now! The good news in what you are saying is that there should be plenty of decent right sided centre backs out there for us to sign. I am confident that DJ will be recruiting at least one.

If right footed CB are very common and left footed are rare...how did we end up with 5 leftys?

Guest sal1

If right footed CB are very common and left footed are rare...how did we end up with 5 leftys?

Beats me.

I love Reda (in a non-gay way), hIs tackles are legendary.

Really hope he gets a chance next year, whether at LB or CB.

Think he'd be worth another go at CB this preseason. He's a changed player from 12 months ago, his confidence is 100x times higher now. If he still makes mistakes then he should certainly provide good competition at left back.

Not that we really need him there with Semedo but I have a feeling he could possibly make a great defensive midfielder as he's got most of the attributes: pace, strength, great engine, great tackler, can pass too, only issue is his positioning I guess which ain't been great before! An idea though.