Do referees hate us ?

Lets be honest the one constant over the last few seasons, win or lose is the standard of referees and linesmen has been getting gradually worse.

Yes we have been unlucky with some pretty straight forward penalty decisions of late and even the most biased blade would probably agree if he saw some of these incidents.

There have been some terrible decisions through all divisions and the standard of officianating doesn,t look like improving any time soon unless they start to be more accountable and i dont mean making them ref lower leagues as a punishment.

Linesman yesterday was a tail! Many times in 1st half cog was having his shirt pulled - nothing, as soon as COG breathes on defender his flag went straight up!

As for pen - (ours not given) lee even knew it was, his reaction said it all!

That being said - we only talk about decisions because the players aren't doing themselves justice - been a couple up and these decisions don't matter.

Who we got on sunday? If someone says deadman or durso then conspiracy theory is justified!

A few seasons ago, blackwell did an interview bemoaning the fact that the pigs hadnt had any penalties for some reason. Surprise surprise, an avalanche of penalties followed. I think them and cardiff had the joint highest pens that season.

Maybe Megson needs to be pointing this out. Refs know that they can come to S6, give us nothing so it shows they arent being influenced, and receive no criticism form anyone other than a few seconds from the fans. Add to that they get a glowing report from the away manager. S6 must be the easiest ground in the country to ref at. They must love it.

Linesman yesterday was a tail! Many times in 1st half cog was having his shirt pulled - nothing, as soon as COG breathes on defender his flag went straight up!

As for pen - (ours not given) lee even knew it was, his reaction said it all!

That being said - we only talk about decisions because the players aren't doing themselves justice - been a couple up and these decisions don't matter.

Who we got on sunday? If someone says deadman or durso then conspiracy theory is justified!

Kettle :biggrin:

Referees have got themselves into a right mess at the moment.

1 They are hung up over when to give red cards for the dodgy two footed tackles and there is a lot of inconsistency.

2 They seem to have given up on giving cards when players dive. This leads to more diving and more difficult decisions for them to make.

3 After a spell of trying to stop players crowding the referee after the infamous Manure incident they seem to just accept it is back in the game. Charlton did it all the time and continually put pressure on the referee.

4 They are totally inconsistent about teams wasting time . Most just let teams do it and then give the predictable 4 mins, then somebody like Darren bloody Deadman turns up..

5 Linesman get involved on big decisions and the chance of getting consistency across 3 officials is zero

All these things make it very frustrating for the fan as they see these kind of things happening and the ref just seems oblivious.

In our case I have been convinced for a long time that our support works against us with lower league refs. They are so keen not to bow to the pressure from the support they go too far the other way and give us nowt!

Edited by oldishowl

I sometimes wonder what I would be like if I was a ref. When our fans sing "The referee's a bishop basher", "We only get poo poo refs" and so on. I think they just think, I'll flipping show these, whos a bishop basher. Maybe we should try as fans to get the fef on our side?

We were at MK the other week on the left as you look at the pitch ,we were more or less in line with the Lino ,there were some lads infront of us giving the Lino dogs abuse and he could clearly hear it , Then in the second half there were two incidents that i remember, first one their player clearly ran the ball out and the Lino ignored it and the second one our player clearly kept the ball in and the Lino signalled that it went out , Now the cynic in me said he deliberately gave those against us because he was getting some stick .

I have come to the opinion though that most lino's are just bottlers and wait to see a reaction from the ref before they give anything .

We were at MK the other week on the left as you look at the pitch ,we were more or less in line with the Lino ,there were some lads infront of us giving the Lino dogs abuse and he could clearly hear it , Then in the second half there were two incidents that i remember, first one their player clearly ran the ball out and the Lino ignored it and the second one our player clearly kept the ball in and the Lino signalled that it went out , Now the cynic in me said he deliberately gave those against us because he was getting some stick .

I have come to the opinion though that most lino's are just bottlers and wait to see a reaction from the ref before they give anything .

Don't the officials basically take this kind of abuse almost every minute of every game from someone or other?

Guest intercity0wl

Also, as we drop further in the football leagues, standards of officiating will drop. It shouldn't but it does.

I would imagine that next Sunday we will be blessed by having a referee being appointed who is from the Premier League, I would put money on him being as bad if not worse than the Normal lower league match officials.

Guest EvanSwfc

Lowes claim against Chesterfield was one of the most blatant penalties i've ever, ever seen. Shocking ref all game, surely they should be some scoring system done by the FA

No i dont think they do until they start flipping up , so yes then .

And football fans are objective, even-handed arbiters of what constitutes 'flipping up'?

Be honest, the officials are under constant duress from just about everyone, all the time. On that basis I don't see why we would be more affected than anyone else. And if it is the numbers of supporters that somehow work against us then a team like Manchester United ought to have more decisions go against them than all other teams, and I'd argue that something more like the opposite is nearer the mark.

And football fans are objective, even-handed arbiters of what constitutes 'flipping up'?

Be honest, the officials are under constant duress from just about everyone, all the time. On that basis I don't see why we would be more affected than anyone else. And if it is the numbers of supporters that somehow work against us then a team like Manchester United ought to have more decisions go against them than all other teams, and I'd argue that something more like the opposite is nearer the mark.

I think the big teams get more decisions going their way and less against them because of the intense scrutiny that will follow a refs mistake. If its 50-50 and he calls it so Man u are penalised, then he;s shown to be wrong SSN will base 24 hours of output on it. If its 50-50 and goes for Man u, then shown it shouldnt have, its hardly mentioned. Its bad press for the ref and can affect his career. Subconciously that has to affect their decisions.

After most matches these days people are talking about referees rather than the actual game.

That alone shows that most refs are w@nk...........good refs dont even get noticed during the game.

The sooner we get technology to take power away from these clowns the better.