SFC in Peace

Guest DantySFC

I don't know Simon TBH.

Rob Jones? On Saturday he was brilliant.

Tonight absolutely dreadful. Back 4 awful.

That goes for them all.

Lost for ideas or solutions.

Can't carry on like this though.

We are not being unlucky. We were absolutely humiliated.

After the Sflaphorpe game it occured to me that Jones will be immense when teams knock the high ball at us. However, he does tend to get turned easily when the ball is on the floor.

How did Stevenage play tonight?

I don't know Simon TBH.

Rob Jones? On Saturday he was brilliant.

Tonight absolutely dreadful. Back 4 awful.

That goes for them all.

Lost for ideas or solutions.

Can't carry on like this though.

We are not being unlucky. We were absolutely humiliated.

I'll tell you what I think. They're all basically flipping thick and lazy b'stards who haven't yet got the message Megson so desparately wants them to take on board.

They've been well rehearsed, aren't without talent, and know what's expected of them, capable of delivering, yet turned up tonight like big time Charlies after beating MK Dons on Saturday, expecting to walk the game without working for a result.

Megson's football ain't pretty, it is rugged, won't win awards, but it is effective enough to get us out of this division if the players follow the team plan.

When they turn up like Billy Big Nobs as they did tonight, don't switch on from the off, and expect to walk it without putting the effort in to grind out a result, Megson's game plan simply doesn't work, it needs 11 players sweating blood and tears.

We seem prepared to work at it in front of our home fans but aren't prepared to put in the additional effort that is required to battle out a result away from home for some reason.

Perhaps the pampering they get is making them feel they are better than they are. Forget pampering in top notch hotels, let them flipping slum it until they realise they have to earn the right to being treated like stars.

I'll tell you what I think. They're all basically flipping thick and lazy b'stards who haven't yet got the message Megson so desparately wants them to take on board.

They've been well rehearsed, aren't without talent, and know what's expected of them, capable of delivering, yet turned up tonight like big time Charlies after beating MK Dons on Saturday, expecting to walk the game without working for a result.

Megson's football ain't pretty, it is rugged, won't win awards, but it is effective enough to get us out of this division if the players follow the team plan.

When they turn up like Billy Big Nobs as they did tonight, don't switch on from the off, and expect to walk it without putting the effort in to grind out a result, Megson's game plan simply doesn't work, it needs 11 players sweating blood and tears.

We seem prepared to work at it in front of our home fans but aren't prepared to put in the additional effort that is required to battle out a result away from home for some reason.

Perhaps the pampering they get is making them feel they are better than they are. Forget pampering in top notch hotels, let them flipping slum it until they realise they have to earn the right to being treated like stars.

I'm pretty sure you could have taken something like this from an Irvine thread and no-one would be able to tell the difference, Irvine had us winning but something wasn't right. Just like now

Edited by enigmamedusa

I very much doubt that Megson and coaching team gave Stevenage enough respect before the game to watch them enough and see all the clever set moves and tactics they employ...and actually so something about them. Funnily enough what was needed was a little Irvinessque planning tonight.

The movement off the ball and at set pieces were all easily readable and repeated but we just chose to ignore them time and time again even when we were 4 down....appalling really and the blame for that lies very firmly at the feet of the manager and his coaching staff.

Stevenage weren't all hoofball by any means but they used it when it was needed. That ability to mix it up is vital in this league. Sadly we didn't really have any clue, plan, tactics or imagination.

Edited by Freshfish

Guest Triplej2

You have all afforded me good grace and hospitality during my breif spell on here and therefore I just wanted to wish those travelling back a safe journey and hope you enjoyed your PRE-MATCH drinks etc.

Especially to the 'Fat Lad' who doesn't where a shirt (i'm sure you know who I mean) who was a gent and scholar and took the result and banter with great respect. i will now bow out gracefully and look forward to my first ever visit to Hillsbotough in February.

You're like the guy in the office who consoles me cos my wife's been having an affair.................but it was you all along who was shagging her lol

Guest TonyOwl88

You have all afforded me good grace and hospitality during my breif spell on here and therefore I just wanted to wish those travelling back a safe journey and hope you enjoyed your PRE-MATCH drinks etc.

Especially to the 'Fat Lad' who doesn't where a shirt (i'm sure you know who I mean) who was a gent and scholar and took the result and banter with great respect. i will now bow out gracefully and look forward to my first ever visit to Hillsbotough in February.

Tango... Yeah he's great.

Hopefully we'll make a game of it when you visit.

OWLSMAN HAS HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD ,We turned up like Billy big b''''''''''ks, thinking we would tear little stevenage a new un . Never works that way,Never has AND Never will , the sooner our blockheads of a team embrace that we have to put the work in EVERY game, then and only then will we progress ,

Well done to Stevenage, very good performance from them. Not long ball at all, decent service to the forwards, brought in the midfielders, had lots of space that they exploited. Their fans in the terrace side stand were excellent as well, put our home fans to shame. Pity it wasn't more even and the game was over before it started because the banter would have been great

Guest stunner2020

Another Stevenage fan here. Just want to say that, despite thoroughly enjoying the Boro performance today (unexpected as it was) I was actually quite sad seeing Sheffield Wednesday, a team who were so strong in my childhood, being completely outplayed by my local team who just a few years ago were playing league matches with the likes of St. Albans City and Grays Athletic. I thought some of the players out there disgraced your history and your brilliant support, and didn't deserve to wear the (rather fetching!) shirt.

I think it's proof of how important it is that a club is run with stability, Graham Westley and our chairman Phil Wallace have done a simply phenomenal job at Boro, they never spend beyond their means and have built a wonderful team ethic out of the rest of the Football League's waifs and strays, meanwhile, a series of bad signings both on- and off-the-field have seen your club fall to it's lowest ebb (certainly in my lifetime anyway). Even as a Boro fan, it has to be said that, when looking at our histories, and looking at our stadiums, and the numbers of our supporters, Wednesday should be way above Stevenage's level. And I honestly hope you sort it out and return to where you deserve sooner or later.

But my God please don't take Graham Westley! (He'd sort you out though, honestly).

Edited by stunner2020

I was actually quite sad seeing Sheffield Wednesday, a team who were so strong in my childhood, being completely outplayed by my local team who just a few years ago were playing league matches with the likes of St. Albans City and Grays Athletic.

Nail on head.

We don't see performances like you have experienced tonight, anymore.

You were superb and your win was thoroughly deserved.

We were a flipping disgrace and all of them were not fit to wear the shirt, tonight.

It is going to be a long season for us. Back to the drawing board I'm afraid and after tonight, more humiliations to come I suspect.

*Your standing support was superb too*

Another Stevenage fan here. Just want to say that, despite thoroughly enjoying the Boro performance today (unexpected as it was) I was actually quite sad seeing Sheffield Wednesday, a team who were so strong in my childhood, being completely outplayed by my local team who just a few years ago were playing league matches with the likes of St. Albans City and Grays Athletic. I thought some of the players out there disgraced your history and your brilliant support, and didn't deserve to wear the (rather fetching!) shirt.

I think it's proof of how important it is that a club is run with stability, Graham Westley and our chairman Phil Wallace have done a simply phenomenal job at Boro, they never spend beyond their means and have built a wonderful team ethic out of the rest of the Football League's waifs and strays, meanwhile, a series of bad signings both on- and off-the-field have seen your club fall to it's lowest ebb (certainly in my lifetime anyway). Even as a Boro fan, it has to be said that, when looking at our histories, and looking at our stadiums, and the numbers of our supporters, Wednesday should be way above Stevenage's level. And I honestly hope you sort it out and return to where you deserve sooner or later.

But my God please don't take Graham Westley! (He'd sort you out though, honestly).

interesting post I read your manager's 11 men against 11 men quote and it was superb. I think you'll find the level of expectation is slightly diff at SWFC after years and years of decline the pressure on the manager is immense. Being a scalp in this league is too big a burden for our lot to carry.

Yes we were a big club but we no longer have big players, we have well paid fairly mediocre journeyman who think they've made it. We simply must leave our big club swagger at the changing room door and take the pitch with the 11 men v 11 men approach. I don't want to revert to AI's over analysis of the opposition, but we have to increase the motivation to play the Stevenages by making them a scalp for us.